Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Loop loss (attenuation) question  (Read 26030 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Loop loss (attenuation) question
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2012, 06:52:29 PM »

I'm not reading the whole thread again, so apologies if this has been brought up before, but from my experience the estimations the ISP's give (ie: up to 'x' Meg), tend to be based on other circuits in the local area if they're OLO's, or on the actual feeding DP if they're BT lines.

I agree with Gary (Coolsnakeman), either give it up as a bad job, or get an engineering visit built so real-time comparisons of the 2 circuits can be done. I'm hopeful this will show there to be a difference of E-side routings between the 2, and that the engineer would find a 'spare' to transfer you on to ?.

Anything else other than taking this action, is fruitless and just going round in circles. :)

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2012, 07:26:34 PM »

Thanks to both Black Sheep, coolsnakeman and everyone else who has added their input to this thread.

I now conclude, that there are 2 possible ways to go, only one of which gives me a definite predefined outcome. So I'm gonna cancel the Plusnet services (phone and broadband), and carry on plodding along at a little under 15Mbps on the O2 line, and forget about the rest of it. I hope you will all understand my reasons for taking this action and hope that none of you think that I have been wasting all of your time with this thread.

It has been an interesting thread for me, so thanks again to all who have commented.

TTFN

toulouse
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2012, 07:28:01 PM »

Thanks for the thanks, Toulouse. No worries at all mate.  ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2012, 09:40:55 PM »

It has been interesting to read -- a real-life experience, clearly explained. The closest I can get to being an SFI-cat:D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2012, 09:45:10 PM »

YW toulouse, sorry we werent able to get to the bottom of it.. 
but I think in your position, I would do exactly the same thing as you intend.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2012, 08:50:23 PM »

Good choice to make and no time wasted here i enjoyed reading the thread as all threads do come as educational to me. This forum has actually helped me out in my day to day job with the knowledge of all the engineers and others on here. I am just wondering when 02 are going to get the figure out and actually start rolling out packages for FTTC they seem to be falling behind from all the other service providers.

Gary

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2012, 05:21:22 PM »

A quick update, following somebody mentioning website 'fttc-check.alc.im'.

I put my postcode into that website yesterday, and it tells me that there is a 64% probability that my lines are served by one of 2 local street cabinets, and a 36% probability that they are served by the other one. I wonder therefore if this could account for the difference between the 2 lines attenuation. That is to say that my O2 line comes from the nearest one, and the Plusnet line comes from the other one. One of the cabinets is approximately 100 metres from my building in a straight line, while the other is probably more than 500 metres away and takes a more roundabout route. I actually walked down to town yesterday and was able to see both cabinets on my travels.

I suppose to be absolutely sure, I would need to either request an engineering visit as suggested by ?Black Sheep? , or is there perhaps some way of looking up details of which line is fed from which street cabinet from some BT database ?
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2012, 06:29:32 PM »

I would think its unlikely that one pair in your drop cable goes to one cabinet and the other to another.

Stranger things have happened but I'd have thought it'd be E-side rather than D-side where the routing differs.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]