Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Loop loss (attenuation) question  (Read 26017 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Loop loss (attenuation) question
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 01:59:19 PM »

Are you sure, it's pretty much spot on uses Kitz' own calculator?
36dB, 11mbps...

The thing is, the calculator is based on the attenuation as recorded on an ADSL(1) connection, which in this case was 32 dB.
  Eric

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 02:08:38 PM »

Downstream rate looks OKish for attenuation.

Something horrible is going on with the upstream though.

A lot of flats have a communal distribution point and the wiring after that is a rats nest, generally installed by a sparky who hasn't the first clue about anything other than mains wiring.

Every time I hear someone is having a problem with ADSL in flats I shudder, as the likelihood is that its crap wiring from the communal distribution point (which is also usually the NTE point as well) to the flat.

Edit - if the line has always been this way then a split pair from the communal distribution point to the flat sounds fairly likely.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 02:13:02 PM by rizla »

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 02:15:19 PM »

Thanks for that Rizla. I think you are probably quite correct, as it looks to me as if the wiring was done many years ago, and the DP which you mention and which is indeed in a communal area, is only just fixed to the wall. I still think that as both of the lines come from (possibly different equipment at) the local exchange, I'm struggling to understand why this disparity exists between the two loop loss figures - or is it just a YYGT

toulouse
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 02:24:36 PM »

I don't know - it could be the internal wiring. It could equally be that one line is older than the other and takes a different physical route from the exchange.

Something horrible is going on with upstream though, which suggests a local problem.

Edit - I don't suppose a quiet line test has any noise on it using a phone with a cord? If it did then that'd be ideal as you can get BT out on a voice fault.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 02:27:03 PM by rizla »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2012, 02:34:14 PM »

Something horrible is going on with the upstream though.
Surely that's just PlusNet capping (as mentioned earlier I think....)  :-X

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2012, 02:45:19 PM »

Quiet Line Test - absolute silence - so no joy there

Upstream Rate - yes, it is just how it was set up when I was switched to ADSL2+ - never had any special need for faster upstream, so I just left it as it was.

Maybe it is just a YYGT, then.

toulouse
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2012, 02:47:08 PM »

It's the BT DLM system on the upstream surely? It doesn't look like a stuck profile to me and its not the old ADSLMax upstream rate of 448kbps so its likely something is generating lots of errors on upstream. toulouse also mentions the line isn't very stable to say the least ;)

I reckon he has local wiring problems.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2012, 02:54:50 PM »

Easy to check, ask PlusNet.
They do cap upstream by default though.
(Occams razor....)

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2012, 02:59:22 PM »

Yes, the Plusnet line has had a number of issues since switching to the ADSL2+ product. Prior to that on their Up to 8Mbps it was as 'STABLE AS A STABLE THING THAT JUST COULD NOT GET ANY MORE STABLE' - do I make myself clear ?  It has already been explained to me that the ADSL2+ products use considerably higher frequencies, and it is therefore much more prone to problems caused by interference, but I don't think there is any interference in this area.

Some of these issues have been reported by Plusnet as a MSO affecting my area, but when I have asked for further details, it suddenly goes rather quiet. I'd rather they just say we don't know what's causing your problem, or something like 'YYGT'
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2012, 03:00:15 PM »

I'm not really all that familiar with the BT DLM, however 440kbps is an odd figure to cap at for someone moving from ADSL to ADSL2+ given that he should have been on 448kbps there.

We'll see :)

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2012, 03:07:01 PM »

toulouse - can you ask Plusnet whether the upstream is capped by them or the DLM please?

I suspect you'll find its DLM which has set it there and that happened when you were on the old product (ADSL1).

ADSL2+ uses higher frequencies yes, but your upstream frequencies are LOWER than downstream so it really shouldn't be a major factor. Upstream on ADSL2+ should be around the 1Mbps sync rate unless there's something horribly wrong or an incorrect profile has been manually set (hello Sky tier 1 support :) ).

In any event if the line is dropping sync and your upstream rate is very low (which it is, for whatever reason) then you obviously have a problem. I suspect its wiring within the building but as to what you can get done about it then I don't know. Maybe some of the BT guys here could suggest a way forward?

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2012, 03:18:18 PM »

Hey thanks again for that rizla.

I will certainly ask Plusnet about the Upstream rate, but from memory I believe that 440 was the default setting for Upstream when switching to ADSL2+ products. It is, as far as I am aware, a flick of a switch at Plusnet, which takes 3-4 days for some reason. I don't know if I can be bothered with that, as I certainly don't need any more upstream speed. In all honesty, is an increase in Upstream rate likely to have any impact on Downstream loop loss, which is really where the problem is as far as I can see.

Maybe, you are correct and I need to source a local BTO engineer who would like some 'beer tokens' - what do you think ?

Thanks for taking the time to try and help resolve this for me.

TTFN

toulouse (My Brain Hurts !!!!!)

FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2012, 03:21:29 PM »

It's worth getting PN to "uncap" as then we'll be able to see the full ADSL spectrum "unencumbered" by artificial limits.

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2012, 03:23:00 PM »

OK HPSauce, I'll have a word with them about getting it uncapped, but I think it will take a couple of days to kick in.

More later.......
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2012, 03:34:20 PM »

It's the BT DLM system on the upstream surely? It doesn't look like a stuck profile to me and its not the old ADSLMax upstream rate of 448kbps so its likely something is generating lots of errors on upstream. toulouse also mentions the line isn't very stable to say the least ;)

I reckon he has local wiring problems.

If you look at the quoted stats you'll see that the upstream noise margin is very high, and the upstream speed is 440 kbps in both sets of stats. That makes it more likely that the upstream speed is capped by Plusnet, and not the result of a very noisy connection (in my opinion).
  Eric
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

anything