Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Issues that have suddenly cropped up - Low Sync, High Error/Seconds  (Read 3635 times)

danieltharris

Hi,

Usually we get around a 1.5 Meg connection over ADSL, this is slow, but before removing the ring wire it was more like 0.4 Meg.

We have been getting reliably 1.4 Meg Down, about 400 kbps up. The other day the connection dropped when somebody called us on the landline. Something that never usually happens.

Since then the connection has been dropping constantly, then coming back for a few minutes since yesterday. I phoned Plus Net and went through the usual script with them.

Since I have switched the Microfilter for a different one - made no difference.

Then I decided to disconnect the phone completely, after a few disconnects it's now been connected for about 2hrs 30 mins without dropping a connection.

However we are now seeing very low sync speeds, and high error/seconds.

Down: 128 kbps
Up: 616kbps
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   6.0 / 15.0
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   11.5 / 15.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   42.5 / 65.5

Error/Seconds (Local/Remote): 131,104 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):   4,654 / 4,102,351
CRC Errors (Up/Down):   160 / 76,854
HEC Errors (Up/Down):   361 / 58,997

Before this it was about 400 kbps up, and around 1,400 down. Not sure what errors we were getting before as there wasn't an issue so didn't pay too much attention.

Is there any chance this will just improve now that the line appears to "stable"-ish for over 2 hours. Or once the sync speed has hit 616 kbps solidly is it now just going to stay at that.

Do I leave the router on now, or do I disconnect at any point to try and re-sync at a higher speed? Any help would be appreciated.

On the phone, the 1st line support agent said our profile was set to 1.5 Meg, and that he has changed it to 3 Meg as our line should be able to get that. I did say it seemed silly to mess with it whilst there was a problem but apparently it's been changed.

At the moment I just want to try and get it back to 1.5 Meg. I'd accepted i'd done all I can to increase the speed to that, and that unfortunately the companies like OpenReach and Broadband Providers just don't have the time to care about a small number of customers in one area, so we will forever be stuck with poor speeds as long as we live in this house.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 12:37:45 PM by danieltharris »

danieltharris

Re: Issues that have suddenly cropped up - Low Sync, High Error/Seconds
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 12:42:05 PM »

Below I have put my OLD stats. I found these from an old post of mine, and they are from shortly after I removed the ring wire.

Not sure what the up time had been, and down speeds had increase slightly since then to around 1.4 meg. The SN/Margin down shows a massive difference, much higher today than it was back in September last year.

Nothing has changed since then. Same supplier, same equipment, same package etc etc.

Old Stats from September 2012

Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   588 / 1,248

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   443 / 1,272

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   12.5 / 15.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   42.5 / 67.5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   11.5 / 6.0

Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / IFTN

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote):   0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 0

CRC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 6

HEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 6

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 12:58:35 PM »

>> Or once the sync speed has hit 616 kbps solidly is it now just going to stay at that.

The sync speed is dependant on the line conditions and can change each time you resync. 
A vast drop in sync speed is usually due to either a fault on the physical line (either internal or external) or EMI/REIN

>> the 1st line support agent said our profile was set to 1.5 Meg, and that he has changed it to 3 Meg as our line should be able to get that.

Im afraid thats only the Plusnet profile, and wont affect your sync speed which is where the problem is.

The High SNRM will be affecting your available sync,
The output power is a bit too low too, but that could be a couple of things such as your line has been up a while and is now not achieving its full potential.

~ I think the most obvious thing to try is the quiet line test (Dial 17070 and select option 2) to see if you can hear any noise on the line.

~ Can I ask you to perform a resync and post a set of line stats taken immediately after the resync as I'd like to see what the SNRM and the power figures are at time.

~ Then get a copy of Routerstats and use it to graph some stats over a period of time to see if we can see anything obvious going on on that line.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

danieltharris

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 01:32:31 PM »

Thanks for your reply. At the end of this post are my stats right after sync.

Also once the router was up and running (all lights on as they should be etc) I tried to come back here to post the results but had to wait. I kept getting a message from BT Wholesale that i've  never seen before, even just after re-connecting.

I've put this message after the stats

Stats right after sync

Uptime:   0 days, 0:01:46

DSL Type:   G.992.3 annex A

Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   612 / 604

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   440 / 496

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]:   10.00 / 22.00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   12.5 / 14.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   42.0 / 66.5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   13.0 / 12.5

Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / IFTN

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote):   0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   2 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 42,643

CRC Errors (Up/Down):   32 / 1,053

HEC Errors (Up/Down):   7 / 904

Message I was given after trying to navigate to any site:

You have been connected to this page due to one of the following reasons. You must now shut down your browser and Internet applications before attempting to reconnect.
The BTWholesale access circuit to your Service Provider is currently down.
Your service should be resumed soon.
Or
You are testing your local connection to BT using
'bt_test_user@startup_domain'
Or
You are testing your connection to your Service Provider using 'bt_test_user@domain' where domain is your Service Provider domain name.
Or
Your Service Provider is currently unable to accept your connection request please wait until service is restored or contact your Service Provider for further information.
Or
You have attempted to access an invalid Service Provider domain.

danieltharris

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 02:16:06 PM »

Sorry to post again, but thought i'd put an update as stats are showing differently again.

The download speeds are about a Meg lower than they should be, but there are less errors now, and SN Margin seems closer to what it was before I had the issue.

No idea if the speed will increase now, but fingers crossed. It's now back to what it was when the ring wire was still present  :-\

As I say I gave up on trying to get anything faster than 1.5 Meg a while back. Even though the exchange is infinity enabled, there's zero chance to find out which cabinet we are connected to, if it will ever be upgraded, or if it can even ever be upgraded. The OpenReach site does say some can never be upgraded, no way to find out if your's is one of them though.

I'll try a quiet line test later today, but we have always had a poor quality voice connection ever since we moved in. I don't know if this is due to the length of the line. Never had anybody out to look at the quality of voice in particular.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 04:12:13 PM »

>> You have been connected to this page due to one of the following reasons.

Sounds like you had problems getting an IP from your ISP, this can sometimes happen if youve connected to the exchange but not your ISP to get a PPP session, the main thing is all is ok now.   If it continues then it needs to be reported to Plusnet.. otherwise I wouldnt worry about it.

>>> SN Margin seems closer to what it was before I had the issue.

The reason I wanted to see your stats immediately after a resync is to try see what your  target SNR was (not the same as SNRM) - it looks like its set at 12dB.  This will be impacting the maximum speed you can sync at.

The SNRM could have gone down because the line quality has deterioated since you did the sync.. which isnt really a good sign :(

We really do need to see whats happening with the SNRM.  Routerstats will allow you to graph it over a period of time, which gives a good indication on whats going on.

Im not happy about your output power either 14.5dBm indicates that your line is possibily not performing to the best of its abilities.

>> we have always had a poor quality voice connection ever since we moved in

Poor quality voice will impact greatly on your broadband speeds.  This issue can be dealt with separately by BTo.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

danieltharris

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 04:19:06 PM »

Thanks, i'm going to get RouterStats working and will also report the quality of voice over the line as a separate issue without even mentioning broadband.

Might quickly check the wiring at the socket too, it shouldn't be any different than it always has been, but may as well check everything is connected properly.

I have the proper pushdown tool if I need it.

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 12:52:57 PM »

Perhaps trying at the test socket and posting the stats up when your in there will be a good idea depending on wither you have a test socket or not. Those CRC's will reduce when you reboot the router but the fact that you ended up with over 1000 of them in a very short period of time would suggest to me there is def an issue with this connection. Errored seconds are also very high aswell. As long as you make sure you have checked over your own equipment and everything internally including the test port i would be requesting an SFI/Boost engineer to be tasked to your property to investigate those errors further. Yes longer lines do get error build up but def not that many  :lol:

Gary

anything