Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Another Wednesday and sweet F.A.  (Read 6706 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Another Wednesday and sweet F.A.
« on: November 22, 2007, 07:07:40 AM »

England 2 Croatia 3

Am I gutted?to a point,yes.I am annoyed,you bet I am. We are going to sack  Mc Claren and do what,get some other mug who is on a hiding to nothing managing our national team.The problem will only get worse while we allow all these foreign players to play here for nothing except financial gain.Is Roman Abramovich bothered about England,or all the other billionaires owning English clubs,NO.Is Arsne Wenger bothered about not playing any english players in his team,NO.Is the premier league bothered how well England do,NO.All they want is INSTANT success.No one  wants to wait for young home grown talent to come through.The pressure is so great on managers they have to scour the world for any talent that will keep them in their multi-million pound lifestyles.I know their is a lot of people out there who don't follow football but this is a problem which goes deeper than just football.Most young people are not interested in sport.If we got medals for binge drinking,teenage pregnancies,stamping on peoples heads etc we would be world champions.
We need to stop this foreign influx NOW and start getting more home grown talent through.The powers that be in the FA who have no footballing background need to be got rid of and replaced by men who have been in football all their lives and know what they are talking about.
The big stumbling block about all this of course is the good old EU.Who seem to tell us what we can do/can't do.Can we stop this foreign influx.I doubt it.
Ah well at least there is the forums to cheer us up(I hope)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Another Wednesday and sweet F.A.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 07:30:12 AM »

The other solution would be to banish football (horrible game!) >:D
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 08:00:38 AM »

Eric  :no: :no: :no:

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 08:00:57 AM »

Ah the old chestnut of "too many foreign players" eh? Sorry to tell you this but the statistics prove that to be nonsense.

England, with the exception of Italy 1990 have never progressed beyond the quarter-finals of any tournament unless it was played in England (WC 1966, Euro 96). In the previous nine tournaments they have qualified for, they only managed to qualify in the last game on eight out of the nine occasions.

No English manager (whether club or international) has won a major trophy*  for 20 years with the possible exception of one guy (name escapes me) who managed a team in the USA MLS league.

Its pretty simple really - England are a top 8 team when they are playing as well as they possibly can, but on average they're more of a top 16 team. They simply aren't good enough to win tournaments and if you England fans are (for once) being honest with yourselves, they never have been - apart from 1966 which frankly was a different world.

The FA are incompetent so you'll get another numpty as a manager.

I don't see anything changing to be quite honest.

If it is any consolation, qualifying for the European championships is significantly harder than qualifying for the World Cup. Every "top" team has missed out on qualification at least once.

*Premier League/old First Division, European Leagues or international tournaments - the FA/League cups can be won by luck

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 08:50:58 AM »

Statistics or no statistics there are too many foreign players in this country,end of.
Too many foreign billionaires who just see football clubs as a toy,when they get fed up they will be gone.
We need to get back to grass roots basics>I hate to say it but a foreign coach is a must ,there is no one tactically good in England.I would also clear out all the backroom coaching staff,who have been get paid too much for too long and not delivering.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 09:22:10 AM »

In a way I'm glad England didn't qualify and we won't have to put up with McClaren's ineptitude for the next couple of years.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 09:34:22 AM »

You won't anyway----------Hes just been sacked  :clap: :clap: :drink:

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 09:55:28 AM »

You won't get a foreign coach who is competent - nobody in their right mind would put up with the English tabloid press for long erough to make a difference, regardless of how much cash is thrown at them. Hard enough to find someone English who will put up with the lies, innuendo and public castigation that is an inherent part of the English tabloid press.

Mourinho is 7/2 - no chance would he accept the poisoned chalice;
O'Neill is 7/2 - no chance will he accept as he is Irish, it'd be almost as bad for him at home as for a Scot who accepted the England job.

Your ONLY hope is that they can persuade Sam Allerdyce to leave Newcastle but I suspect that would require many of the FA board members to eat too much humble pie.

Until you get rid of the FA board in its entirety it is groundhog day again. And again. And again.......

FA board and tabloids are your major problem, not foreign players in the premiership.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 10:32:32 AM »

Rizla, R U scottish by any chance  :-\

Sam Allardyce is NOT good enough.Yes we do do need to out the FA Board and get people who have actually kicked a football in their life,but that won't happen.
The English Premier is the biggest richest league in the world and therefore attracts the biggest names in world football,that is why no one is prepared to wait for our english youngsters to come through.
I personally think the next coach should be foreign,and should be some one who can take us back to basics.We need to impove the technical side of our game,to do this look to Italy>their national side showed this to win the world cup.Also look at the likes of AC milan .

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 11:08:12 AM »

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,1107.0.html <-- enough of a clue for you? ;) I'm realistic about my team - I know very few English people who are the same.

"Take us back to basics" - but the UK* game is basic. Its based around charging up and down the pitch hoping that speed makes up for the lack of skills. It doesn't work. It only works when the game is played in the UK between November and February and even then its still hit and hope most of the time.

Re English youngsters - how do you explain the 20 years prior to the Premiership overtaking Serie A & La Liga in terms of numbers of foreign players? There were plenty of English youngsters then - no real difference in results though was there.

The overwhelming problem is that there is little interest from anyone other than diehard fans in football and that is entirely due to money. A season ticket for a Championship team costs £500+ for 20 home games and you are usually obliged to pay for a certain number of away games too, even if you have no intention of going to them. Viewing on Sky/Setanta/whatever is a fairly large monthly outlay too for many families.

I support Celtic. Last time I saw them on TV? 2003. My wife is the same as me only she's a Liverpool fan. Both of us used to follow both teams' results keenly. Now after 10+ years of pay-per-view (PPV) we don't really bother. If we see the results by accident then we'll listen/read but neither of us bother actively seeking out results now. That is due to never seeing any English/Scottish football except highlights if you're lucky. We know lots of people just like us.

Out of sight, out of mind seems to fit quite well and that WILL cause way more problems than foreign players. It is easier (and a hell of a lot cheaper) to watch Premiership football in other European countries than it is in the UK.

Amusingly every time Leicester City manage to get into the top league they actually lose "active" supporters due to price increases and they don't regain those supporters when they go back down. They're not alone in that.

Cricket (not that I like it) has the same problem now - their potential TV audience dropped dramatically when they went PPV. Attendances at cricket grounds have likewise declined. The number of people actively playing cricket has halved according to something I saw last year.

*Yes I count my team, the Welsh and NI as playing a "generic UK game". You'll note that none of us have qualified either.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 11:57:16 AM »

Well Rizla,we will have to agree to differ on this one,
except I totally agree with you about the cost of watching football in england,total rip off.Like you say die hard fans who will pay anything,go anywhere to watch their team.Don't they know they are helping to keep these over rated multi-millioaire mercaneries known to us as professional footballers.

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 12:25:01 PM »

Sad thing is that if England actually realised their limitations and played to their (few) strengths they would do much better than now. That's the only reason Scotland have improved recently - we haven't suddenly got better players in the last 18 months :D

You have one truly world-class player which is one more than the rest of the UK teams so don't feel too bad :D However Rooney looks like he's trying to replace Mark Viduka as the "fat boy" of strikers :( Like Viduka he'll probably manage it for a while but I can see Ferguson selling him on (like he did Beckham) for an obscene amount of money within 3 years. Like Real Madrid with Beckham, whoever buys Rooney will find that whatever else Ferguson is, he's no fool.

Anyone who thinks Gerrard, Lampard, Terry et al are worth £100k+ per week is deranged for there isn't a single one of them who are "world-class". Terry is at best a journeyman defender, Lampard is way too fragile and Gerrard isn't anywhere near as good as hype suggests (I am a Liverpool fan & if he didn't come from Liverpool then he wouldn't be a first team regular for them). The rest of the England squad aren't really worth mentioning in terms of skill/potential/performance.

Perhaps that's the true reason for so many foreigners - UK players have a grossly inflated sense of their value/importance?

I've always said to my wife that rich countries do badly at football. When Scotland had a decent team (1974-82) the players were almost all brought up in poor communities (Dalglish being at least one exception) during the 1950s/60s. We've had dross ever since 1990 or so. Look at the French team - they're mainly coloured. The communities they came from (immigrants from ex-colonies) are very poor. Italy has always had very poor areas and that seems to be where they get their great players. Spain's the same.

Perhaps the coming recession will produce better UK players? :P

It will be interesting to see what the BBC/ITV do about Euro 2008 - I can't see either of them paying much to screen live games now :(

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 12:49:53 PM »

Your ONLY hope is that they can persuade Sam Allerdyce to leave Newcastle but I suspect that would require many of the FA board members to eat too much humble pie.

I'd love to see big Sam have a go at the job, but I suspect that the reason he wasn't appointed was because he's a blunt straight talking northerner and not a southern softie FA-yes man (like McClaren).

[Similar to the reasons why Brian Clough was the best manager England never had.]

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2007, 01:02:26 PM »

Apparently Fabio Capello is interested. He comes with a fair bit of "baggage" right enough and the suspicion has to be that his style of play (defensive to say the least) can't actually be played by English players.

I don't think any UK team can play defensively very well - although Scotland are having a fair stab at it these days so who knows.

I don't think Capello can actually do the job as he's never managed any English players - other than Beckham and they didn't see eye to eye did they?

Allardyce knows how to use players to their strengths - even when they seemingly don't have any - so I think he would get my vote. He would certainly be the best England manager since Robson IMHO.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 04:00:09 PM »

Big Sam has apparently ruled himself out.
Pages: [1] 2