Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New house only has Secondary faceplate  (Read 4789 times)

djclark25

• Just arrived
New house only has Secondary faceplate
« on: June 11, 2012, 03:54:59 PM »

Hello.

I moved into a new build house recently and have been having trouble with the broadband disconnecting. I have recrimped the internal wiring (Only 3 inches of wire from BT box outside straight into socket) but still disconnects and crackles, done all the usual troubleshooting (I work in comms)

Upon further investigation it looks like the faceplate on what should be the Master socket is only a secondary faceplate as it has no capacitor or resistor.

Could this be the cause of my issues with the line? Any help, advice gratefully received.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: New house only has Secondary faceplate
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 04:03:58 PM »

Hi and welcome

If the outside BT box is an external NTE (see  bottom of this page: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btsockets.htm ) then that's where the missing components are. With this kind of setup you don't have an internal master socket, just extension sockets.
  Eric

djclark25

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 08:09:47 PM »

Thanks for that roseway.

Yes we do have the external NTE at the bottom of the page so like you say, a secondary socket is all we require.

Will get back on to Sky then as the only thing I can possibly see at being at fault now is the line.

Thanks

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 08:21:09 PM »

Further to Eric's reply, if there are still crackles and other noises present on the line when just a corded telephone (and absolutely nothing else) is connected you should report it to your telephone service provider as a voice fault, without making any reference to the broadband service.

Regarding the XNTEs, I have been reliably informed by a serving Openreach employee (Black Sheep) that those devices are now no longer installed. If in the course of remedying a fault one is found to be present, they are permitted to disconnect the internals and fit an NTE/5A within the premises.

Please see the latest revision of SIN 470, Issue 2.0, April 2012, Section 5.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 08:41:59 PM »

That's quite correct B*Cat.  :)

djclark25

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 01:08:45 PM »

I have tried everything in the house now. Only corded telephone, router only cabled with wireless off, disconnected all wireless dervices in the house (Even doorbell)

Sky did send a BT engineer out before who said they found no fault and was a "internal" issue but apart from replacing the cable and faceplate I dont know what more I can do. I have used a different pair on the cable to see if that resolves the issue. If that doesnt I shall replace the faceplate then get onto Sky again

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 07:53:42 PM »

With every device disconnected from the telephone line and just a corded telephone plugged into the socket (3" away from the XNTE), if there is still audible noise on the line then report it to your telephony service provider as a voice fault. Do not mention the broadband service.

The fix must be provided FOC, as there is a specification for the telephony service and your pair is currently behaving in an out-of-specification fashion. Assuming a competent Openreach POTS/PSTN/Network engineer is assigned the task, she/he will disconnect the XNTE and fit an internal NTE5/A as part of the job.

Remember to quote SIN 470, Issue 2.0, April 2012, Section 5.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

djclark25

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 09:00:37 AM »

Spoke to Sky last night and they reset my line and I came back up at 6.9Mb. Looks like I had a reset overnight as was on 4.2Mb this morning, reset the  router and back to 6.9Mb.

I have this morning plugged the router into a seperate power socket on its own and moved it away from other equipment as after reading up the forums here yesterday my router was sitting behind my TV on a cabinet that included a PS3, a Wii, my DECT phone and a Sky box which could be causing interfence leading to ADSL drops. It was plugged into a three way gang with the Wii and DECT cordless so both had big transformers on the plugs  ::)

See if that helps when I get home from work!!

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 12:32:12 PM »

Double filter the Sky box and the DECT phone. Easy enough to do, Sky boxes have a reputation for splattering noise around when they dial out during the night. Just connect two filters in series then plugin the Sky box/DECT baseunit, if it doesn't help then unplug one filter.

Also I'd recommend getting a decent power supply for your router. The crap that goes out with the Sky router has to be seen to be believed. Its even worse than Thomson/Technicolor wall-warts which I didn't believe possible :) From what I can make out its prone to a failure mode which keeps the router running but causes all sorts of intermittent issues - mainly to do with LAN/wireless. I know Sky had problems sending out routers to new customers recently as they had to take the power supplies out to send to existing customers.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/batteries-and-power/power-supply-adaptors/multi-voltage-power-supplies

I'd be inclined to get this one as its useful for other stuff :

http://www.maplin.co.uk/high-power-multi-voltage-desktop-power-supply-48517

HTH.

anything