Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Insert Image.  (Read 13651 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Insert Image.
« on: November 21, 2007, 09:52:43 PM »

Hello.

On the forum how do you insert a jpeg image from my hard drive.?
I tried the tab 'Insert image' with out any luck.
and is it the same for a personal message ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

dave.m

• Kitizen
Re: Insert Image.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 11:00:19 PM »

Mike,
This is the bog-standard way to post images in forums (I don't think you can just Insert them):
Posting Photos And Screenshots In The Forums.

http://photobucket.com/register.php
Or other photo hosting site.

If you are wanting to post a screenshot from your computer,
A) Open the page that you want and press ‘PrintScreen’ on your keyboard.
B) Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > Paint
C) In the open Paint window Click Edit > Paste. This will paste your ’PrintScreen’ Image.
D) Click File > Save As and select My Pictures and name it then click Save

To Upload Your Screenshot Or Picture:..
http://photobucket.com/login.php
Choose an image by clicking Browse and select the image or picture that you want to post and click Upload.
On completion of uploading, your image will appear in the lower part of the window with links beneath it.
For these forums click on ‘IMG Code’ under the picture and it will say ‘copied’
Close Photobucket and return to the forums. In the Post or Reply pane right click where you want the image to appear and click Paste.
Whilst you have the reply/post pane open the writing:
[IMG]http://…etc   will appear in your post but if you click Preview, the preview pane will open and the image will appear.
dave

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 11:02:14 PM »

Theres 2 ways

1) link to an image hosted elsewhere using {img}www.site/image.jpg replace {} with [] tags or this button above the smilies.

2) When composing a reply theres an additional options link below the post reply window
click on the
At the bottom - Attach -
Click the browse button.
Locate the file you wish to upload on the HDD.

[edit] Dave beat me to it with a good reply
- Thanks dave :)

[edit2] fixed the broken closing [/img] tag
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 12:51:53 AM by mr_chris »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 12:22:47 PM »

Test.

[attachment deleted by admin]
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 12:27:21 PM »

Do you have to upload only one image at a time, as I just tried to up load two.
I also notice you cannot see a 'preview'

Second  Test.

[attachment deleted by admin]

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 01:12:05 PM »

For attachments its a max of 3 or 4 per post or max file size of 200KB.
(unsure if its 4 for admin and 3 for normal users)

After youve located the  first one - click the "(more attachments)" where it will now open up another browse box etc.

>> I also notice you cannot see a 'preview'

Thats because the "preview function" uses  AJAX which (like Javascript) is actually only showing the preview "Client side".
Its not until youve actually made the post  by clicking the Post button that it physically sends data to the server.

Client side scripts often have a physical limitation of what they can and cant do. 
Its Server sided scripts such as PHP which are more powerful and actually allow you to do such things as interact with information stored on the server and local machine...  and in this case its a PHP script which performs the upload using the POST to server command.
Hope that makes sense.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 01:40:05 PM »

Can I just say that its not at all intuitive kitz? Remember just after I joined I thought I could upload a piccie for you then realised I couldn't? Well I could but obviously didn't realise how.

Perhaps rather than have "Additional Options", make it "Attach File"?

Couldn't you just add the remaining options currently under "Additional Options" (Notify/Return/Smileys) to the menu bar which ends : Insert Code  Insert Quote  Insert List ? Or wherever seems suitable but just not where they are now :) Eg - are people more likely to insert flash than use notify me of replies?

I'm not all that bothered myself as I know how it works now ;)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 02:26:51 PM »

>> Perhaps rather than have "Additional Options", make it "Attach File"?

Thats the SMF forum software that does all that stuff rizla.

Although I have applied a "kitz skin" and done a few hacks, the underneath AJAX and php programming regarding the way the forum works is reliant on the SMF software.

I suppose I could look for the php file which controls the attachments and physically change the code which said "Additional Options", the next time there was a software upgrade (theres several per year) it could be overwritten.

>> notify me of replies?

I know where youre coming from on that one - but thats one is a core difference between the design of the SMF software and UBB software which is used by AG. 

SMF does take a bit of getting used to - possibly because it is one of the more configurable ones- but IMHO its actually one of the best not only because of what it can do but its more secure than some of the more common ones in use and far less prone to hack attempts.

I originally used phpBB but moved it all over to SMF due to spam and hack attempts.  SMF is more of a "community project"  and appear to respond to "software problems" much quicker than some other forum software.

Since moving over to SMF - touch wood- Ive not had a single spam bot attack which I very frequently got with phpBB. 
There have been a couple of humans doing the spam stuff..  but as the mods will confirm cause they will have seen it) by doing a bit of tweaking Ive mostly been able to devise a way round keeping most of the persistants at bay too.

Actually - thinking about it because SMF is so configurable if you have knowledge of the languages used ..  then yes it could be done..  but it would involve digging deep into the source code.   (Another nice thing about SMF- all the source is available so if you have the knowledge how to do so then you probably could just about change anything)
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 02:59:09 PM »

but as the mods will confirm cause they will have seen it) by doing a bit of tweaking Ive mostly been able to devise a way round keeping most of the persistants at bay too.

Yes, that's right, although I used to enjoy being the first mod here in the morning and wielding my enormous powers to delete a spam message. :D
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 04:15:47 PM »

>> Perhaps rather than have "Additional Options", make it "Attach File"?

Just had a quick look at the source and to make a text change to it would actually be very easy to do.  But if I did that it wouldnt make it clear that in there you could also do things such as the "notify me of replies" which form part of that same module.

The icons above for things like insert image, smileys etc are part of the module which form basic formatting output that all could be be done using [] tags within the body of the text. 
They relate to items in that particular post only ... even smilies are clever formatting of text for an image that already has to be stored...
rather than the topic and server side controls which are in the additional options.

The "addional options" also controls some other Server sided things that wont show for you like mod and admin stuff such as locking/stickying posts ... or even perhaps "moving topics to the recycle bin" :D

Therefore I dont really want to touch that particular module Im afraid.
-----

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 05:30:39 PM »

Mike.
You should be able to see your image in preview, I have just tried with this picture and it opened in preview:

As seen here:

dave

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 12:55:55 AM »

What about renaming it to "File Attachments & Additional Options"
Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 02:12:09 AM »

:P
-----

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007, 03:15:43 AM »

:P to you too
Chris

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly