Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 2700HGV versus 2701HG  (Read 1998 times)

fjs

• Just arrived
2700HGV versus 2701HG
« on: June 08, 2012, 11:43:37 AM »

I have asked these questions elsewhere, and received no response. This time I shall supply more background information.
I was thrown into G992.5 by Demon, who changed the line over with 48 hours notice. The installation is 850m from MRPOY. The actual wire length is likely to be 1.4km minimum. Downstream attenuation 29db. Line enters garage by consumer unit, which it skirts at a distance of 200mm to end above it, about 2.5 metres from the ground, in an NTE5A. This has a Pressac VDSL SSFP, which appears to be an active filter, attached. A DECT phone base with additional BT spec microfilter  comes off this, as does a 2700HGV, configured as a transparent bridge. Cables are shielded from the NTE5A, and approximately 2 metres in length.

There is a separate router taking care of the DHCP lease, firewall, radvd, radio, et cetera. I have the comfort of open source firmware -tomatousb - on this. Current ISP is O2. For a description of their technical support, see www.dilbert.com, entry for 22/1/2012.

Ever since the day I was plunged into ADSL2+, the connection has dropped repeatedly, with resyncs every hour, or, in the worst case, every 2-3 minutes. BT online diagnostics return no fault condition.

Moving the target SNR to 12 decibel, convincing one neighbour to turn off her Christmas tree lights on February 16th, and the fact of another getting her central heating controller replaced has removed most of the RF interference to which this installation is prone.

As is documented on the Master Site, the 6.1.1.46-1.enh firmware the device is running has bugs. I note that a bridged device has no access to name or time servers, and auto-update of firmware does not take place. This may be positive or negative.

Every 49 days and 16 hours approximately, time since last reboot is reset, but collected statistics remain unchanged.  This is very annoying.

2 wire devices - or 2 wire device and the DLM in concert - raise, as well as lower, the target SNR from its initial setting. In this respect they appear unique.

As asbokid has stopped his work, I look for empirical data about the 2701 series device, in particular what its interface bugs are with 6.3 series firmware, and how bad its tendency to overheat is.

The 2 wire has greatly improved the connection I have. Streaming video, for example, now works.

Previous bridged devices tried include DG834 and TG585v7, both with a range of firmware. For the present I am not pursuing Broadcom SoC bridged devices, though wonder about trying the HG612.

I have every 27xx model of 2 wire device. I would appreciate opinions as to whether moving to an older model would give fewer interface bugs. If so, which model is preferred?