Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Using Large Hard Drives  (Read 2704 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Using Large Hard Drives
« on: June 06, 2012, 04:11:13 PM »

I keep doing a bit of work on this backup server to automatically back up my daughters laptop each day when she is at uni, I have the basic system working now, the next part is to use an old pent111 with a very basic os and use two 1TB (or larger) IDE hard drives with a pci 'raid' card .
As anyone had any problems using large hard drives on old machines under Linux.?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 09:47:22 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Using Large Hard Drives
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 04:33:07 PM »

I've no experience of using RAID, but putting that aside, I don't think there's any problem so long as you have a boot partition at the start of a disk, so the old BIOS can find it to boot from. After that, large disk support is provided by the disk driver, independently of the BIOS. But I'm unsure how RAID fits in with that.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 09:55:36 PM »

I forgot to say these drives are for storage only as there will be a small hard drive to boot from. ;)
I will have to look for the raid card and find its spec.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tnp

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 04:04:55 PM »

I forgot to say these drives are for storage only as there will be a small hard drive to boot from. ;)
I will have to look for the raid card and find its spec.

why bother with RAID anyway? I simply have two disks and rsync the one to the other daily.

anything