Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Homeplugs  (Read 15641 times)

Re: Homeplugs
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 01:41:38 PM »

Its probably worth pointing out that upstairs and downstairs will be on seperate ring mains in most UK houses and as such extension blocks are unlikely to be the limiting factor for throughput - that will be the consumer unit (fusebox). The main reason extension blocks are an issue is the wiring between the wall plug and the extension block - lots of twisted wire in there, no solid conductor.

I won't have "homeplugs" in the house but I know that's not an option for a lot of you.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 06:30:15 PM »

At the most fundamental level with regards to networking, I am firmly on rizla's side. If the connection cannot be made with a run of Ethernet cable, use wireless. If wireless is not satisfactory, then consider Home Plugs.

Obviously those regulars who do use Home Plugs have considered all their options and have made the most appropriate choice for their own situation.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 07:14:29 PM »

If the connection cannot be made with a run of Ethernet cable, use wireless. If wireless is not satisfactory, then consider Home Plugs.
and that was the exact reasoning I went through when I decided. There was on other factor that came and that was being able to move my PC desk around as required. Wireless is not very good without line of site of the router, there are so many around here that finding a decent channel to work with is  :thumbdown:
Happy with my homeplugs. Say no more. :)
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 07:21:47 PM »

What's the reason for disliking homeplugs?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 09:01:14 PM »

No dislike on my part, HP. Just a consideration of the efficiency of throughput. A wired Ethernet cable will always be at the top of the list.  :)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2012, 12:18:13 AM »

Ah, OK, so it's "horses for courses".  :graduate:

I ask because I have a client where Homeplugs seem to be the "right" answer. Older large property, beautifully decorated (Cat5e cables a no-no!), VERY thick walls, out in the country - nearest neighbour over 400m away!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 01:16:40 AM »

I'm with you and fully understand!  :thumbs:

All options should be considered and the best taken for the particular circumstances.

I'm sitting here, in The Cattery, about four feet away from my 2Wire 2700HG modem router but have connected to it, from my laptop system, via an Ethernet cable. Why don't I use a wireless connection? Because my near neighbour, Gordon, has his BT Home Hub 3.0A about eight feet away and its wireless signal is quite significant. So i use wired at home and wireless when visiting family, when "out and about", etc.

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 09:52:31 AM »

What's the reason for disliking homeplugs?

They splatter HF noise all over the place which is a direct consequence of using wiring never designed for data transfer. The somewhat unique way domestic mains wiring is done in the UK (ring rather than star) exacerbates this and causes all of them to fail CE electromagnetic interference standards.

Ofcom should have banned the sale of them in the UK due to this but BT had already flooded the market with (very) cheap units and as Ofcom is about as much use as a chocolate teapot when it comes to enforcing anything then here we are. If you dig around a bit you'll find an Ofcom report which basically says exactly that - they tested all the models on the market and they all failed CE limits. Ofcom "buried" the report rather than act upon it.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2012, 11:15:51 AM »

Well all I can say is reading various posts in many forums,there seems to be many,many people out there who are very happy with the performance they receive via homeplugs  :)

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2012, 11:18:25 AM »

If any appliance that connects to the mains power supply fails the CE standards is the said appliance allowed to carry the CE mark?
If this is correct then most certainly homeplugs do not fail the standards, regardless of OFCOM.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2012, 11:22:05 AM »

I have also been recommended Solwise homeplugs..UK company and from what I have been told excellent technical/customer support

http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-intro.htm

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2012, 12:12:40 PM »

Oh they work OK UncleUB, that's not my issue with them.

@silversurfer - they apparently don't fail the CE standards for radiated emissions on star mains wiring (ie the rest of Europe) but they do on ring mains wiring (ie the UK). BT knew full well that they failed too so they supplied millions of them to BT Broadband customers to present Ofcom with a fait accompli. Phorm showed that BT has scant regard for rules where money is concerned and Ofcom were run by the Labour stooge by then so they gambled correctly.

Arguably they fail conducted emissions too but that's easier to argue your way out of as arguably the affected device is failing too. Radiated emissions is clear-cut though.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2012, 11:56:18 PM »

Gentlefolk,

Upon one occasion in a large house I discovered that the 80 Mbps version worked where faster ones did not.

Another trick I've seen done where bottom entry was obstructed was to turn a 13 A socket up side down.

Kind regards,
Walter
Pages: 1 [2]

anything