Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Homeplugs  (Read 15642 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Homeplugs
« on: June 06, 2012, 09:48:38 AM »

Hi all  :)

I have been giving these some thought since I bought my Panasonic Smart tv.

At present my computer is upstairs in the spare bedroom along with the BT master socket and router.The tv is in living room.Is it just a case of running an ethernet cable from router to homeplug upstairs and from tv to homeplug downstairs?

I have also read that it is not advisable to plug homeplugs into extension leads..is that correct. Downstairs wouldn't be a problem but upstairs I would need a long(ish) ethernet cable to run from the router directly to the wall socket.Probably would be about 5m.Does using a long ethernet cable have any detrimental on your connection.
In a few weeks I am going to switch isp's,...Going onto the Digital Region project so I can get a FTTC connection.Once up and running I am wanting to be able to download and stream movies and use iplayer etc.

And finally can someone recommend/tell me what I actually need  :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Homeplugs
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 10:47:35 AM »

At present my computer is upstairs in the spare bedroom along with the BT master socket and router.The tv is in living room.Is it just a case of running an ethernet cable from router to homeplug upstairs and from tv to homeplug downstairs?

Yes, exactly.

I have also read that it is not advisable to plug homeplugs into extension leads..is that correct. Downstairs wouldn't be a problem but upstairs I would need a long(ish) ethernet cable to run from the router directly to the wall socket.Probably would be about 5m.Does using a long ethernet cable have any detrimental on your connection.

5m  of ethernet cable will have no detrimental effect at all, and would be the best solution. 5m of mains extension lead will degrade the signal strength to some extent, although the homeplug connection would still work OK (most probably).

For TV and streaming media purposes you don't need the very high speed devices - the regular 85 Mbps types will be more than fast enough. I would recommend Devolo, although you can get cheaper ones. Make sure that they have encryption capability.

Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 11:05:52 AM »

Thanks Eric  :)

I looked on E Buyer at these

http://www.ebuyer.com/231266-d-link-200mbps-powerline-twin-pack-dhp-307av-b

Please note: networking components such as Powerline adapters require that all adapters run at the same Powerline speed to remain compatible, for example only 200Mbps adapters with communicate with other 200Mbps Powerline components. However, all Powerline products will connect to any switch or router Ethernet port. Powerline adapters can be used with extension leads (except surge protection ones), and will work across different ring mains so long as they share a common fuse box. For further information or advice, please contact us on solutions@ebuyer.com.

I guess they will work,but as you say could do so with a degraded signal strength

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 11:40:09 AM »

I don't see any reference to encryption with those D-Link devices (they may have it though). I really think you need encryption, otherwise you may find your neighbours sharing your internet connection without even realising they're doing it.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 12:36:59 PM »

I don't see any reference to encryption with those D-Link devices (they may have it though). I really think you need encryption, otherwise you may find your neighbours sharing your internet connection without even realising they're doing it.

Is this what you mean Eric

Furthermore, D-Link’s Powerline Homeplug AV implements 128-bit AES encryption for securing your connection and keeping your data safe from intruders. You can set this up easily via the button on the side of the adapter.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 12:42:39 PM »

Yes, that's it. I missed that bit. :-[
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 12:47:34 PM »

Yes, that's it. I missed that bit. :-[

No worries Eric. :)

I saw the word encryption but wasn't sure if that was what you meant  :)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 01:27:42 PM »

I have been using a couple of the Devolo dLan 200 AVMini units for a while now with a wireless access point on the remote end and it works flawlessly so I'd recommend Devolo.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 10:15:30 PM »

Just a quick comment, Uncle.

I wonder if you understand that the manufacturer's of "Homeplugs" are recommending that one does not use a mains extension lead and that recommendation is not applicable to Ethernet cables:-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 08:24:42 AM »

Whilst it is recommended to NOT use homeplugs with extension leads, I have been using a set of three, two plugged into mains extensions for a number of years. Two of them are Develo and one is Netgear. All working quite happily together and using encrypted transmissions between them and the main router.

UnclueUB, don't go for the cheapest you can get as they will fail. I know to my cost. I bought a pair of Advent when I first started with them and they both failed with a blown capacitor.

I don't know about performance on fibre networks, but I certainly can watch HD transmissions from the likes of NASA without problem. Having said that there is only me using the connection, so if there was more than on person using it it may be different.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 09:05:29 AM »

Thanks B-Cat and Colin  :)

I can get away without using extension leads.The living room is ok because there is a socket behind the tv.The spare bedroom where my computer/BT master socket/router is can be sorted with a 5 to 6 m ethernet cable,as the socket is the other side of the bedroom(at present I run and extension from there to the computer where I have a 6 socket Belkin surge protected extension.

@ Colin,I had see on Amazon TP link ones (a pair for £31.99)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004INVKP4/ref=pd_ybh_1

A pair of D-Link ones for £32.99

http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DHP-307AV-PowerLine-Homeplug-Network/dp/B003L78F6U/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1339056111&sr=1-1

And the more expensive Devolo ones £69.19.....are they worth the extra at the side of the other two?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Devolo-AVplus-Starter-Pass-Thru-Filter/dp/B002WRQV7K/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1339056185&sr=1-4

I have just guessed that the above posted items are what I need......am I on the right lines there?

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 09:40:27 AM »

:o I say they have gone up in price, I don't remember paying that much.
I would not use them on any surge protected extension as the the protection could degrade the signal from unit to unit. That's probably what the gurus mean when saying they should not be used on extensions. :-\

One other thing to think about is where the Ethernet lead plugs into the homeplug. With the Develo this is at the bottom of the unit. All others that I have seen plug in the side, even my Netgear one plugs in the side. This means that 2 sockets for the one unit. It is impossible to use the socket at the side where the cable is. Of course if there is nothing to be plugged into a socket at the side and there is little clearance at the bottom, of the unit then a side Ethernet socket might be what you need.

As things are at the moment it is cheaper to by a pair rather than a single unit. That's why I suggested not to buy the cheapest if you see what I mean. The reason is if one fails, you would need to by another pair as single units are hard to come by. ???

The only ones in your links that I know personally are the Develo units. Reliable, take up one socket each and come with software for setting up ones own encryption code if one wants to.

Pass thru filters I know nothing about so I couldn't comment on.

I trust I am being helpful here.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 11:38:13 AM »

One other thing to think about is where the Ethernet lead plugs into the homeplug. With the Develo this is at the bottom of the unit. All others that I have seen plug in the side, even my Netgear one plugs in the side.

Hi Colin

The TP Link ones definitely have the ethernet underneath

Not sure about the D Link ones I posted,but the D Link pass through ones have the ethernet on the side,but as you will see by the video it is above the socket line.

http://www.dlink.co.uk/cs/Satellite?c=Product_C&childpagename=DLinkEurope-GB%2FDLProductCarouselMultiple&cid=1197389564612&p=1197318962342&packedargs=ParentPageID%3D1197318962321%26locale%3D1195806691854%26packedargs%3DProductParentID%253D1197376488476&pagename=DLinkEurope-GB%2FDLWrapper

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 11:58:29 AM »

The dlink ones do look very interesting, especially with the built in socket. :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 12:55:58 PM »

Yes, I agree with that, and the fact that the ethernet connection is on the side isn't an issue in this case, because it stands above the neighbouring plugs.
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2