Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: using router as AP..?  (Read 10990 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
using router as AP..?
« on: June 05, 2012, 06:51:22 PM »

My dad is coming to stay, i want to setup the old PC for him too use in living room, I have a PC Upstairs using USB Wifi stick, a laptop using wi-fi and thats it - Iam using my Netgear DG834N (DGteam fw) as main router - is it possible to use my DG834GT (DGTeam fw) as a wireless access point that can connec to the old PC via LAN and pick up the wifi?
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: using router as AP..?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 07:15:35 PM »

No, it won't work. And a simple WAP won't work either - it acts as a wireless server, not a client. What you need is a wireless client device (which is what the USB WiFi stick is). I'm not up to date with what's available, but I expect that WAPs which can act as either server or client must exist, but a USB stick will be a lot cheaper.
  Eric

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 07:24:39 PM »

both my netgears have bridging and repeating... doesnt this mean I can set them up to work together and thus the 834GT will also have a signal via LAN?

failing that I could set it up next to this PC and enable internet connection sharing over a LAN-to-LAN connection couldnt I?

im sure I can do it with two DGteam netgear...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 07:40:53 PM by snadge »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 08:07:57 PM »

Ive many a time used spare routers to act as glorified wireless access points or wireless repeaters, but am unsure if they can take a wireless signal and then pass it out on the LAN, its not something Ive tried...  I should imagine as eric says the easiest solution would be a usb wifi stick?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 08:11:04 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 08:11:08 PM »

Ive many a time used spare routers to act as glorified wireless access points or wireless repeaters, but am unsure if they can take a wireless signal and then pass it out on the LAN, its not something Ive tried.

well I will be attempting it in next 24 hours lol... so will let you know, but i was thinking same thing, it may just be wireless it extends and not bridge it out too LAN

kitz do you have any info on ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) via LAN-to-LAN..?  I will google it myself but wondered if you have any on here? just if I cant do that then I could sit it next to this PC and hook them together?

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 08:27:11 PM »

unsure if they can take a wireless signal and then pass it out on the LAN
I bought a cheap little TP-Link unit the other day that does exactly that (in one of it's several configuration options).
Only £20 delivered from Amazon!

Currently using it to:
1. Supply LAN to a Humax satellite box for iPlayer
2. Extend wireless coverage out of the back of my house onto the patio (when the rain stops...) - main router is by the front door.

e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Link-TL-WR702N-150Mbps-Wireless-Router/dp/B006PYGWG6/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_t_2 but prices vary a lot!

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 01:10:59 AM »

can anyone help me with this? im having no luck but have read it can be done (unfortunately where I read it the person left no instructions) HERE  quote "It appears that it is NOT possible to WDS repeat with a DG834GT, they can only be used as an access point client (to connect to the wireless network and pipe the traffic to its ethernet only.. example, connecting an xbox etc."

my Netgear 834N is main internet connected router, my Netgear DG834GT is the bridge/repeater (both on DGteam firmware) - I manage to get the wifi linked into one big network by putting both routers into repeating mode, turning off dhcp on the 834GT and assigning it a different local IP and matching up the wifi settings, but there is no broadband on the LAN port of the 834GT??!!

what about the other modes? what are they for? how do they work?

I want the 834N to broadcast broadband over wi-fi to the 834GT which then feeds a PC by LAN with the broadband

Wireless Point-to-Point Bridge
In this mode, the router will communicate ONLY with another Bridge-mode Wireless Station, and wireless client association is disabled. You must enter the MAC address (physical address) of the other Bridge-mode Wireless Station in the field provided. . The Internet-connected wireless Access Point (AP) should supply DHCP addresses, so DHCP should be disabled on the AP not connected to the Internet. WEP can (and should) be used to protect this communication.

Wireless Point-to-Multi-Point Bridge
Select this only if this router is the "Master" for a group of Bridge-mode Wireless Stations. The other Bridge-mode Wireless Stations must be set to Point-to-Point Bridge mode, using this router's MAC address. Wireless client association is disabled. The Master should supply DHCP addresses so DHCP should be disabled on the other APs. WEP can (and should) be used to protect this traffic.

Repeater with Wireless Client Association < this was one i set both routers too
If selected, this AP will operate as a Repeater only, and send all traffic to the remote AP. Wireless client association is enabled. If selected, you must enter the MAC address (physical address) of the remote AP.

EDIT: im pulling my hair out with this  >:( >:( >:(  so freakin annoying - i now can not access the 834GT at all, I need to factory reset it...anyone?  I changed the LAN TCP/IP back to normal to return it back to normal state and its not working , even when i force IP address on the LAN adapter
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 02:10:01 AM by snadge »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 08:31:51 AM »

This is probably not very helpful, but....
I have a spare DG834GT that I wanted to use as an access point or repeater, loaded with DGTeam.

I had a try (some time ago now) of various configurations; the only one that made sense and worked effectively was as a Wireless Access Point (WAP) connected by LAN cable back to the main router (also DG834GT/DGTeam).

Not saying others don't work, but maybe I didn't have enough time to figure out how......  :baby:

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 04:23:46 PM »

This is probably not very helpful, but....
I have a spare DG834GT that I wanted to use as an access point or repeater, loaded with DGTeam.

I had a try (some time ago now) of various configurations; the only one that made sense and worked effectively was as a Wireless Access Point (WAP) connected by LAN cable back to the main router (also DG834GT/DGTeam).

Not saying others don't work, but maybe I didn't have enough time to figure out how......  :baby:

scrapped anyway - i got my old WG111T USB stick working on the 2nd PC... had to change from upto130Mbps to G&B, from WPA2 to WPA+WPA2 and move channel from 6 to 13 and the stick picked up the signal just lovely :) (as it would not work previously)

I think the main issue I had with this stick not working inpast was the WPA2 security - it picked up the signal but very weak -70db - when i changed to mixed mode (WPA+WPA2) it went up to -60db and had an 'OK' but slowish connection , change channel to 11 and went to -56db, then changed channel to 13 and now its -53db

I just need to factory reset my DG834GT - I wonder if I should flash it back to Netgear FW before doing that?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 04:40:03 PM »

I just need to factory reset my DG834GT - I wonder if I should flash it back to Netgear FW before doing that?

You don't need to. The factory reset doesn't affect the installed firmware image, only the separate configuration file.
  Eric

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 04:43:46 PM »

You don't need to. The factory reset doesn't affect the installed firmware image, only the separate configuration file.

:)  thanks Eric, I shall just reset it too get it back to normal again, this what happens when you stay up till 3am messing with LAN TCP/IP settings etc hehe

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 05:44:45 PM »

>> my Netgear DG834GT is the bridge/repeater (both on DGteam firmware)

I've not tried using a DG834GT netgear as the adsl modem bridge, although I am pretty sure Ive used my DG834GT to act as a WAP (not bridge!) with another modem. 

TBH it is a long time since I played but the adsl modems that Ive used are solwise SAR110 and a Voyager 2100 and a Dlink (cant remember model no) . I thought that most routers will act as an AP from another router...  Ive definitely used a DG834Gv3 as an AP.

However the difference between what I did..... and what you are wanting to do needs the 2nd router to bridge back to LAN..  thats what Im not sure if any of them can do. :( 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 05:59:52 PM »

edit... just had a quick google and came across this tutorial..  its actually for a DG834v3 so dont know how relevant it will be - and Ive not read the full article.

Point-to-Point Bridge Configuration
http://documentation.netgear.com/dg834g/enu/202-10155-04/DG834Gv3_RM-08-19.html

sorry I dont have time to look into it further, as I'm not around much for the next few days.. and on top of that I need to get something sorted re my PC before it dies on me :/

.... and another link that may or may not help
http://www.home-network-help.com/wireless-bridge.html
-----

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 06:00:58 PM »

OP is ex-Be IIRC?

If you retained the BeBox I believe there is firmware which allows you to bridge the router - on either interface from the LAN. The BeBoxes may be a complete PoS in hardware terms (throw away the wall-wart FFS if you do nothing else) but they have a lot of s/w "profiles" due to the number of Euro ISPs who use the kit.

One of you with access to the Be forum could try asking the Be "Usergroup". Pretty sure I saw f/w mentioned that will allow the router to act as a wireless bridge.

As far as the 834GT goes I'm not aware of anything that will switch it into a wireless bridge.

As an aside I'm amazed I remembered my password for the site, been a while :)

Edit - I had the wireless bridge that kitz' second link points at. Was the dogs bollox :) Don't buy Linksys kit now though, they lost the plot on consumer kit when the evil empire (Cisco) took them over.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 06:03:51 PM by rizla »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 06:04:23 PM »

>>> As an aside I'm amazed I remembered my password for the site, been a while

ell0 ^   :)
-----
Pages: [1] 2