Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: New PC builds.  (Read 44664 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: New PC builds.
« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2012, 06:52:24 PM »

If you are still having problems in recovering all the data from that temperamental NAS, perhaps you could invite Asbokid for a day at the seaside?

I'm sure he would enjoy "having a fiddle" and if he brings along Mrs Asbo, Chav the dog, their Wayne, Sharon, Tracy & Spike, the afore mentioned clan members should be easily entertained on Blackpool front.  :lol:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2012, 10:14:33 PM »

Many thanks for the Blackpool invite, burakkucat   :) But sadly we shall have to decline your kind offer on this occasion.

Our Wayne is back on his curfew :(  Another 'misunderstanding' in Tesco  ::) freezer section again  ::)   chicken nuggets this time. :D  When will that boy grow some taste buds?  And Mrs Asbo is busy as ever with her needlework  - still on the mailbags in Holloway- parole 2020 at the earliest (but god-willing much later ;)).  As for our Shazza. She is shacked up now with Big Dave with the Transit (don't ask).  The way their van was rocking about last night, the patter of tiny feet can't be far away (Grandad again)!!  :'(

Another time for BPL maybe. Our Wayne is dead keen to show off his sharp-shooting skills and nail those seagulls harassing Kitz!  "That little runt should be in the Olympic Catapulting Team!"  Those were the exact words of our Chief Constable!! Our Wayne had just put a giant marble through the windscreen of the Force chopper!   Bullseye!   Couldn't help but feel proud of the lad!  Don't worry Kitz - As soon as his tag is off, our Wayne will be up there sorting out your flying rats!

cheers, a

EDIT:

Sounds like the NAS drive is okay?  Maybe it can temporarily hang off the SATA bus of the Shiny New PC? Mounted as a Linux volume and mirrored to some spare drive space?

« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 02:23:22 PM by asbokid »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2012, 10:54:02 PM »

hahah @ you guys  :lol:

Touch wood, the NAS box is sort of behaving itself..  it must have severely disliked having the mains plug pulled.  I dunno what the screeching noise last night was, but that seems sorted after a fiddled with the insides, but I cant say what it was.

For some reason Win7, the NAS box and networking dont seem to like each other (as evidenced by the amount of issues on the dlink forums), and win7 doesnt seem to recognise it as part of the network group, but I seem to have got around this so far by giving both this PC and the NAS box a static IP then mapping the drive to the IP address.

Ive still got a loooooooooong way to go to getting everything on this PC, but Ive managed to install the big stuff/apps  and transfer all the data from the old PCs D-Drive. Still got an awful lot to do before its sorted though, will take me even longer to get things like the http/ftp server up

So far so good, its fast and reasonably quiet (hard to tell atm as the NAS box fan is whirring like mad whilst Im pulling data from it).
I know I dont have that much on the PC atm but things like DW, MS Office etc are on....  but windows bootup from cold is just 5 seconds!!!!!
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2012, 11:04:25 PM »

windows bootup from cold is just 5 seconds!!!!!
The SSD effect?  :graduate:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2012, 11:16:07 PM »

yep...  got to be.

I appreciate that its still pretty bare atm, but most of the stuff that would normally slows your average PC load up like AV and M$ Office is on, as are the things like Java and all the adobe stuff that normally take ages during start up cause they check for newer versions. 

Ive not put Ghost on yet, but Im debating on that one, since my version is now very much out of date and its not the Pro edition therefore doesnt work very well with networked machines so needs a manual backup to put anything to the NAS.   Looking for a decent alternative, but havent found anything I like so far.   May end up using robocopy..  we shall see when I get that far.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2012, 11:57:19 PM »

Thank you for the latest update. I'm pleased to read that the NAS is now behaving.  :-X

I think it would certainly be worth taking the time to ensure that everything is done correctly . . . after all, you have from now until the the arrival of the new kitteh to play with the 'puter.  ;D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2012, 03:22:49 PM »

There's a change with Vista (and Win7) on authentication and it may affect your NAS. Basically the NTLM auth level was raised with Vista/Win7 and you may find your NAS isn't happy about it.

You need to run regedit, find the following entry and make sure the value is as below :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
"LmCompatibilityLevel"=dword:00000002

I had similar problems with old NAS boxes.

Edit - or save the bold text in a .reg file and double-click the file.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #97 on: July 13, 2012, 06:37:12 PM »

For some reason Win7, the NAS box and networking dont seem to like each other (as evidenced by the amount of issues on the dlink forums), and win7 doesnt seem to recognise it as part of the network group, but I seem to have got around this so far by giving both this PC and the NAS box a static IP then mapping the drive to the IP address.

Make sure win7 "turn on network discovery" is selected. If it turns back off some services are not running.

While doing this turn off all firewalls so as to make sure it is not that stopping the network access.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2012, 04:00:32 PM »

Thanks for the info guys, sorry I forgot to update this, since I'd started a new thread about weird network issues I was getting.

For some reason I was having all sorts of problems when using the onboard LAN, but fitting a new PCI NIC seems to have sorted it.   Not happy that the onboard lan kept doing weird things with the network and I had to shell out for a separate one, but it was a means to an end and at least it stops me tearing my hair out.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #99 on: July 23, 2012, 05:23:19 PM »

Just for completeness.. this is for BlackSheep (and anyone else interested) its my new beastie showing its possible to run a nice quietish yet powerful PC., without it costing an arm and a leg :p

~ OCZ VERTEX 4 2.5" Solid State System Drive - Windows boot up time 6 secs from cold.
~ Coolermaser Silencio 550 Case (Near silent operation and prepared to take on powerful hardware, the Cooler Master Silencio is able to keep high-end setups running cool and quiet. Sound proofing on both side panels assist in vastly reducing noise levels.)
~ 2 x 800rpm silent fans.
~ Replaced traditional Intel CPU heatsink with an ArticCooling Freezer CPU cooler to keep it cool and quiet.

I think the weak link may be the graphics card which supposedly runs at 38dBA under a full load and fully stressed..  but once its shut in the CM case i dont hear much.

The downsides,
:- I can now hear a very faint but high pitched cyclic squeal from one of my old monitors that Id never noticed before  :'(
:- When the NAS box boots up it seems awfully noisy and Im far more aware of it now than what I was when I had my old PC. :/

--------

A pic of it converted to Ziggy's cat bed will follow when the lids back on and Ive finished working with the network & cables and its pushed into place in its permanent home.  ^-^
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #100 on: July 23, 2012, 06:15:02 PM »

Just uploaded a quick vid to youtube.. 
Camera was right inside the box, and next to all the fans to try and pick up as much sound as possible... and yep it was turned on as can be seen by the spinning fans

[youtube]jpcDlmhJBQI[/youtube]
-----

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #101 on: July 23, 2012, 07:37:08 PM »

Yes, that is remarkably quiet. It's so quiet in fact that the cat should be able to nap at any time. Most of them seem to be able to do so anyway.
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #102 on: July 23, 2012, 08:00:03 PM »

Not only cats   :sleep:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 08:05:13 PM by silversurfer44 »
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #103 on: July 23, 2012, 10:00:29 PM »

I think the weak link may be the graphics card which supposedly runs at 38dBA under a full load and fully stressed..  but once its shut in the CM case i dont hear much.

Main thing that springs to mind, how nice to see the 'A' quoted.  dB is merely a ratio and, as a measure of sound pressure without a reference ( the 'A'), is completeley meaningless and just slang IMHO.   Yet I seem to see it ( dB on it's own) quoted everywhere these days as a measure of sound presure.

Yes, Kitz, 7LM is envious.  Particularly, perhaps, of that SSD.  Silent, capacious and fast... what is there to dislike?    The rest of it looks great too and with fans running at 800rpm I'm sure they will be inaudible:)

SlowConnector

• The race is won by he who endures until the end
« Reply #104 on: August 23, 2012, 03:43:06 PM »

FYI, a new cheap n' quiet cooling solution has on the market should you need to keep your NAS cool:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8