Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: New PC builds.  (Read 44659 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: New PC builds.
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2012, 01:40:00 AM »

CPU I think.   For the past few years its gone through various stages of overheating.. usually in the summer.   Last summer I lost data from 2 drives in it..  One of HDDs totally burnt out.

Over the past few years its had additional fans,   one of those big daisy Zalman coolers  for the graphics card, and also replaced the CPU heatsink and replaced with a Zalman.  I think about the only original parts in there now is the mobo, cpu and ram.

Ive had coretemp on it, but I've never been quick enough to see the temp when it goes down. 
Years ago Im sure it used to run at about 54C,  but even when I looked last,  it seemed to run at about 66C on idle.  Its had a clean out, but I cant leave the case side off or Zigs would probably stick his nose in or something stupid.  I didnt want to push it and stress test it in case that killed it.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2012, 01:54:25 AM »

That's a shame.  Still, got a new one now! Good luck with the drive transfer. Hope you're not gone too long!  :)

cheers, a

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2012, 08:50:32 AM »

D Drive should be straight copy of data..  and hopefully can pick up anything else on the C
Ah, didn't realise you had good backups. The reference to non-booting old system made me think the old HDD was the main/only copy of important stuff (very silly presumption as you're obviously so professional in other ways  :graduate: )

I "prefer" to work directly off the old HDD IF it's in good condition, otherwise from backups (or recovered data copied to other media from a dodgy drive).
Whatever the source, assuming the new system has a larger faster disk, I bulk copy "almost everything" first to a folder on the new system then work from that.

Two main reasons for that:
1. minimise "touching" of your precious original/backup in case you need it again.
2. It's usually faster to rummage/reorganise totally on the new faster hardware.

Hope it all goes to plan.  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2012, 05:35:36 PM »

Although I have backups, there was a few things I still wanted to grab from the C Drive.

Anyhows.. FINALLY  I had some time to do something for me this afternoon :)   
I now has new PC...  now to put it all together...  and start the fun stuff like transfering data...

...  and then taking about 6 weeks to install the software and configure it how I want.   :lol:

Thats my Friday night sorted :)  Assembling a PC and a glass of wine....  I lead such an exciting life. ;D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2012, 07:06:17 PM »

Assembling a PC and a glass of wine....
Just don't do it the other way round......

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2012, 01:41:29 AM »

Well and truly hacked off..  why is nothing simples.
PC is good and up and running..  but its very empty and bare.

For some stupid reason when I was installing the new PC and messing with the network cables, I unplugged my NAS box.   and will it power up again.. will it buggery.   I have one dead NAS.    Took the drive out to see if I could get any data from the disk and nothing is readable. 

I could cry right now..  giving up for the night :/
-----

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #81 on: July 07, 2012, 01:49:41 AM »

Oh shucks, Kitz  :(

It will be a simple problem in the morning.   Something trivial is being overlooked.   :blush:

cheers, a

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2012, 01:59:16 AM »

Put the drive back in the NAS..  and ummm.. really dont like what im hearing.. sounds like a cat going. neeeeeeeeeeeeeeowwwwwwww.
This was a new 1.5TB WD HDD I bought last year to replace the burnt out one :(   Like you say I'll try again in the morning.

-----

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #83 on: July 07, 2012, 04:13:19 AM »

Put the drive back in the NAS..  and ummm.. really dont like what im hearing.. sounds like a cat going. neeeeeeeeeeeeeeowwwwwwww.
This was a new 1.5TB WD HDD I bought last year to replace the burnt out one :(   Like you say I'll try again in the morning.

Oh heck.  If it has died, hopefully not quite 12 months old???  Maybe just the NAS controller has gone a bit skewy?

cheers, a

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #84 on: July 07, 2012, 09:31:03 AM »

Does the NAS disk actually power up without drama when out of the box?
It's probably formatted in some non-PC-standard way for whatever controls the NAS.
Hopefully it will just be a PSU problem in the NAS which "ought" to be possible to repair or bypass.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2012, 09:58:26 AM »

The NAS will most probably be a Linux system internally, so the disk may well be formatted with a Linux filesystem such as ext3. If this is the case, retrieval of the files would be simple enough using a Linux system.
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2012, 10:21:58 AM »

Booting from a Linux CD would presumably be a fairly quick test of that?
Or install an EXT2/3 driver in Windows.

It may also depend how files were backed up.  :(
Drag-and-drop (or equivalent) would probably be OK but a proprietary indexed/compressed format via a backup utility might be problematic.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #87 on: July 07, 2012, 10:53:06 AM »

Yes, a Linux live CD would be an easy way to access the files if the disk is formatted with a Linux filesystem.

I'd be surprised if a proprietary compression format would be used in a NAS, as there are a few widely used and well supported 'standard' formats (e.g. zip in Windows systems and tar.gz on Linux systems).
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #88 on: July 07, 2012, 11:45:08 AM »

Whatever the format you ideally want to get the files transferred somewhere more accessible first.

As I've learnt from many years of sorting out such issues for others, just carefully follow the 10 golden rules:
1. Don't panic
2. Don't panic

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #89 on: July 07, 2012, 12:55:34 PM »

>> 2. Don't panic

Yep I did panic.  Of course I couldnt read the disk direct because the box runs on a Linux system. :-[

I took the NAS box to pieces and reassembled all the bits (theres not much to it) and the box is now powering up without making that horrible noise.  I think it must have had a hissy because I just pulled the mains lead without doing a proper shutdown?...  either that or I did something it didnt like whilst moving everything around.  Touch wood it seems ok now.

However I couldnt find it on the network.  Ive reset the box to the default settings and run through installation with the disk which isnt picking up the box. However I can see via my router that its being allocated an IP.  Trying to access via the IP just times out.   However, this seems to be a common problem over on the forums for the DN320 for users on a win7 machine where the box wont show on the network... or shows then disappears after about 20 mins.    After numerous attempts I was able to map the drive using the IP shown in my router.  I managed to pull some stuff off and left it whilst transferring a large folder.

Came back and its vanished...  and now I cant find it again.   This is crazy!!  Workgroup name is the same.   If and when I manage to find it again I'll try giving it a static IP (it did have -  but resetting it to default settings meant that it picked up an IP from the dynamic range).

-----
EDit

touch wood - assigning static IP to both this PC and the NAS seems to have done the trick.   :fingers:
Now to start installing some programs :)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 01:57:47 PM by kitz »
-----
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

anything