Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: New PC builds.  (Read 44661 times)

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
Re: New PC builds.
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2012, 09:02:30 PM »

Hiya Kitz,

So, you still haven't got your new PC, then. If you'd ordered from Novatech I could have brought it with me tomorrow.

SWMBO is gonna tough it out, so we're hoping to arrive during late afternoon. Can't wait to try out the new trams. We'll be like a couple of late 50's kids on Tuesday when we go a 'tramming.

TTFN

toulouse 
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2012, 10:02:10 PM »

I was a bit snookered toulouse.  These were my options:-

Part I wanted was out of stock... it was obviously popular because it was on their "today only special". 
Could pay extra to go up to higher spec, but already exceeded budget... and it was a big price jump to next spec.
Could downgrade, but didnt want to because Id now set my sites on that particular spec.
Could purchase part elsewhere but was more expensive and not part of the bundle price.
Could scrap the system and go start again elsewhere, but would be more expensive or get lesser spec.
If I went elsewhere I'd probably have to go through their queue system too.
Wait until part came in at Scan and let them honour the price Id ordered at.

They started the build last week, but they go through various stages.. and it takes them a min of 4 working days to do a system
ie build motherboard then put RAM on 24hr test.
build rest of system..  then do hardware test.
Put on software then leave for intensive 24hr testing.
Finish off order. I think Im on step 7 of 11

System was yesterday complete apart from the 24hr intensive testing... so depends, what they class as working day.. but I think its going to be Tues before its ready.   Hopefully I get the nod in time, because Wed Thur and Fri (poss afty) its doubtful I can get there.. No good asking them to ship either because I wouldnt be home to take delivery.   Depending on time of day..  should be able to get to scan in about 45/50 mins..  so call it round trip of 2+ hours by time loaded into my car...  which is better than waiting all day for courier.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2012, 10:08:04 PM »

Glad SWMBO is feeling well enough to tough it out. :)
I havent been on the new trams yet... but dropped Mum and my nieces off at a stop at this end of town and my bro picked them up at the other end.  I think Mum enjoyed it, but the kids got a bit bored after a while : :(   To me they kinda look like the ones in Sheffield or Manchester which Ive been on several times so not that much fussed about rushing to try them out.

Hope you both have a wonderful time and the weather is good for you.  Not looked at the forecast, but its been ok today here..  been doing loads of washing and at least it kept dry and there was a lil bit of sun at times :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2012, 10:16:23 PM »

ie build motherboard then put RAM on 24hr test.

Glad to hear they at least test it.  When I upgraded the RAM in the MAC Mini (not user upgradeable) a few weeks ago, and contemplated getting it done the official way thru Apple's agent not only did they want to charge me circa £200, they insisted there was no need for soak testing.  "RAM is pretty reliable these days".  :D

As mentioned at the time, I opened it myself with a wallpaper scraper and installed the RAM at huge savings but... just as importantly... ran memtest for a good few hours.  Essential, IMHO.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2012, 11:43:12 PM »

Thats one thing that irks me about apple in that you cant do simple stuff like stick in some more RAM.   Like with the ipods/ipads..  why cant you just upgrade the memory and stick in a larger card, but no youre supposed to buy a new one or pay the earth for them to upgrade. :(

This is where Im at atm

1) Authorised - that was a while ago
2) Awaiting Build - This is where it got stuck because of the parts..
3) Building: Your 3XS system is now at stage 3 out of 11, and being assembled by our professional engineers in Scan's state of the art 3XS labs.
Once your machine has finished build it will be updated with the latest motherboard BIOS and move to stage 4 "Memory Test".
4) Memory Test: Your 3XS system is now at stage 4 out of 11; our engineers have finished the assembly of your system and testing the systems memory (RAM) using industry standard software. Estimated time to despatch - 4 working days.
5) Software: Your system is now at stage 5 out of 11; our engineers are now installing the operating system selected at the time of order and updating all drivers for installed hardware. Once all software has been installed and updated your machine will run our suite of intensive tests to ensure stability.
Once your machine has passed our testing suite successfully it will move to stage 6 "24 Hour Burn In". Estimated time to despatch - 3 working days.
6) 24 hour burn In: Your system is now at stage 6 out of 11, if you have purchased an overclocked machine our engineers will now overclock and fine tune the system via the motherboards BIOS, a profile will be saved for both standard and overclocked settings.
Your 3XS system (overclocked or at standard clocks) will then be put onto an intensive 24 hour soak/burn in test, this test is designed specifically to put the machine under 100% load to ensure complete stability over a period of 24 hours.
Once your machine has passed our 24 hour burn in it will move to stage 7 "Quality Control".
Estimated time to despatch 2 working days

So the following yet to go:
7.) Quality control
8.) System Built
9.) Awaiting collection.

Touch and go whether its going to be Tues..   keeping fingers crossed.

Bit disappointed in the delay TBH...   They accepted my order and I was told about 5 working days....  and whilst I understand that the processor may have been popular because it was on their special of the day...  just because mine is a system build.. then they should have reserved the part I wanted there and then, because all parts were showing as in stock when I placed the order.  Hence me trying to get a 'goodwill gesture', but they dont seem to be having it saying that the margin is too tight on what I chose.  I believe the graphics card went out of stock at one point too, but that soon came back in stock.
As soon as someone places an order for a build then all those parts should be taken off their stock control system.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 11:57:02 PM by kitz »
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2012, 01:59:30 AM »

So the following yet to go:
7.) Quality control
8.) System Built
9.) Awaiting collection.

Touch and go whether its going to be Tues..   keeping fingers crossed.

:fingers:  And paws.

Bit disappointed in the delay TBH...   They accepted my order and I was told about 5 working days....  and whilst I understand that the processor may have been popular because it was on their special of the day...  just because mine is a system build.. then they should have reserved the part I wanted there and then, because all parts were showing as in stock when I placed the order.  Hence me trying to get a 'goodwill gesture', but they dont seem to be having it saying that the margin is too tight on what I chose.  I believe the graphics card went out of stock at one point too, but that soon came back in stock.
As soon as someone places an order for a build then all those parts should be taken off their stock control system.

If they ask (or have the means) for customers to provide feedback, your should highlight the issue stated in your last sentence.

Two questions, if I may, please. Have they already got the money from the Bank of MandD in their account? Or do they only request it once the system is ready for delivery? If it is the former, I would point out to them that they have had an interest-free loan for n-number of days!  >:(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2012, 09:48:49 PM »

@ b*cat..  yes..  they had my money (paid by visa) nearly 3 weeks ago.

Thats exactly why I went back to them hoping to get some sort of goodwill gesture.  But they arent budging :(

Just checked my mail..  build moved on to next stage.

Your system is now at stage 7 out of 11, having successfully completed its 24 hour burn in your
system is now moving through quality control. At this stage your machine will complete an 88 point
check covering all aspects of the 3XS build process and generate a report that's provided with the
finished system.
Once your machine has passed our quality control stage it will move to stage 8 "System Built"

-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2012, 11:38:26 PM »

Just checked my mail..  build moved on to next stage.

:thumbs:  Keep the good news coming.  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2012, 03:25:50 AM »

T'is done..  so now waiting until Ive got time to go pick it up. :)
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2012, 04:33:02 AM »

Once you have collected it and it has received Ziggy's seal of approval, then you can have the fun in transferring over all your data from the old system.  :dance:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2012, 11:51:06 PM »

Evening..  Need to get this sorted URGENT.   Was hoping to be able to do a direct transfer from old pc to new..  But since old pc is now completely kuput and won't boot at all I don't think that gonna happen. Previously I could perhaps use it for half hour before it died, now nada.    :(

Typical was up to eyes in other stuff this week and not able to sort my own stuff out. Oh well if I'm quiet the next few days you know why

-----

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2012, 11:58:25 PM »

I normally stick the old PC hard disk in the new PC as a slave/secondary.
That way you've got access to whatever you need when you need it urgently.
AND you can transfer stuff across in an organised way at your leisure.

Depends how you work and what software you use, but for me Outlook PST's take absolute priority.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2012, 12:11:00 AM »

Thanks HP, gonna open a new thread about the above, because when I get the new PC sorted, things arent now going to go as I originally planned for data transfer.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2012, 12:34:41 AM »

Hang on a mo...   I understand where youre coming from now. 

D'oh wasnt thinking straight as I'd gone into panic mode and first thought was my ghost backups of the old drive arent going to work on the new machine because of different OS etc.
D Drive should be straight copy of data..  and hopefully can pick up anything else on the C

Thanks.

------------

Even easier.. I think...   New build is supposed to have an x-dock  - or rather the CM case has a hot-swappable bay.  will have to see when I get it if its connected.. but could be possible to wap out the old sata drive and access via the x-dock. 

http://www.guru3d.com/article/cooler-master-silencio-550-review/6

« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 02:51:11 AM by kitz »
-----

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2012, 12:37:14 AM »

Evening..  Need to get this sorted URGENT.   Was hoping to be able to do a direct transfer from old pc to new..  But since old pc is now completely kuput and won't boot at all I don't think that gonna happen. Previously I could perhaps use it for half hour before it died, now nada.    :(

What is wrong with the old one?  Overheating CPU or chipset or something?

cheers, a
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8