Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: New PC builds.  (Read 44665 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: New PC builds.
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2012, 10:31:10 AM »

Haha the fun will start when I try and move everything over and get used to a new O/S. 

Ummm Windows 7 is a new OS to you? What the hell have you been using up until now?

lmao..  yeah I know...  its been a while since I got a new PC and kept adding/replacing bits to this one for the past 4 years :(

Ah Vista then :D Nobody like admitting that :P

I'm Spartacus Vista  ;D..........Had it since 2007,no problems at all. :)

« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2012, 11:43:33 AM »

You obviously have a lot more patience than me UncleUB :)

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2012, 02:27:57 AM »

PS.. decided to splash out on a SSD.  Still uming over a Cosair or whether to save a tenner and go for OCZ which seems to get good reviews too.

The prices seem to have come down now and SATA ones have increased slightly due to the floods last year.   I know the storage space on them isnt as much, but since my system drive atm only uses about 45GB..  and its the storage and back up drives that use most of the space...  I thought wth and may as well go for it with a SSD system drive and a 1TB storage drive...  which can be backed up to the 1TB drive in the NAS.

Ebuyer.com currently has Crucial M4  (SATA III) 256GB SSD for £130.48 delivered (with Special Code "SSDCOMP") [1]

Today, 50p per gigabyte... Maybe 25p by Christmas?!

Technical Specifications
Form Factor: 2.5” (9.5mm)
Interface: SATA 6Gb/s (SATA 3Gb/s compatible)
Sequential Read: up to 500MB/s
Sequential Write: up to 260MB/s
4K Random Read: 45K IOPS
4K Random Write: 50K IOPS
Additional Features: ATA-8 w/TRIM, SMART Command Support, High-speed Synchronous MLC NAND
Capacity: 256GB

From Tom's Hardware [2]

cheers, a

[1] http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/crucial-m4-256gb-ssd-130-48-ebuyer-com-1243802
[2] http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-recommendation-review,3194-6.html

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2012, 12:47:58 PM »

>>  256GB SSD for £130.48

Too late for me Im afraid I opted for the cheaper OCZ 120GB at £76.99,
Although looking at my build spec Im actually getting a "OCZ Vertex 4, which uses the new Indilix Controller with better IOPs speed.

I did try do a fair bit of resarch in to SSD drives and OCZ seemed to come out pretty well and were a bit cheaper than the corsair ones.  Thoughts are that the SSDs prices will probably stay stable for the next couple of years... but who knows. It was a balancing act of decentish spec hardware without breaking the bank.

128GB should do me.. the system drive on here (which includes my work directory) is about 50GB.  Anything else goes onto the D-Drive. Putting the system/programs/work dir on the SSD should make it pretty fast.  If prices do fall I should be easily able to slot in another one a later date.

Because of cost, I dont think Ive got the latest and greatest of anything, but its still hopefully a pretty sweet system. 
The SSD and CM Case where areas where I had some extravagance... but as it turned out with Scan doing a special bundle on the CM case and it actually turned out good.  It was Scan that changed the spec of the SSD, but I think they sometimes do that if they dont have the one you ordered in stock and give you a better one.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2012, 06:31:18 PM »

Sounds like you squeezed a good deal out of Scan!   More proof that the fairer sex has a dominant shopping gene  :D  It's time we had segregated shops where woman can spend all day buying the Right Things, allowing us men to buy all the Wrong Things in even less time!

In this flaky old PC, I tried a refurbished 64GB SSD drive for the operating system but the gains weren't that obvious, perhaps because of cacheing and from suspending rather than shutting down the PC.

cheers, a
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 06:36:36 PM by asbokid »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2012, 08:04:26 PM »

>> Sounds like you squeezed a good deal out of Scan! 

Not vastly so -  yes I did wrangle a £48 discount on the overall price and i'll be collecting rather than carriage (another £35 discount).. then £60 saving on build for my own o/s.
Also add in the bundle/offers from the specials page (unsure of the exact savings on those - possibly about £80?) but they are available to anyone.

However, I went over my original budget by about £60.. so Ive spent more but got much more kit for my money and feel that Ive got a decent deal for what should be a decent spec PC.

Bank of MaD seemed happy enough today when I told them cost today..  then hit me with after Ive finished, would I help dad get a new PC.
Which of course I will do because although dad isnt geeky, he likes 'gadgets' and TBH he's not good atm (radiotherapy and an impending op) so it will be something nice for him to keep him occupied (and me - read - lots.of.time.helping.dad!!) 

>> where woman can spend all day buying the Right Things

hahaha..  I think (hope) so.   
It took me so long to decide on the specs - had it all in excel and so many different builds and then doing research into say the graphics card or the SSD to make sure they were ok. 

I thought I had it all sussed then the guy suggested a newer processor which was on one of their specials, so I started tweaking figures again.  I compromised and saved by not getting a 'K' chip.. but then again since Im not an over-clocker and getting a separate graphics card, for me, this is a very good area to make savings.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2012, 11:47:26 PM »

Hi Guys & Gals

I have my dads PC at moment as he between houses. he has a 60Gb Vertex 2 and its lightening fast (50,000 iops) , most certainly can tell the difference, infact, after a long while using it its horrible going back to computers with HDD's lol.. especially laptops

Iam having to reinstall everything right now because he installed G-DATA 2013 Anti-Virus (Trial) while he was here last night and within 20 minutes we had a BSOD... turns out that BSOD corrupted the MFT (does an SSD have one?) ..anyway the SSD was corrupted after that BSOD, tried chkdsk /f from windows 8 on the HDD but froze at 49% when checking Indexes - HD Tune done same on quick error check about 15% through...  so had to format and re-install :(

but yeah... great SSD's
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2012, 03:55:08 PM »

Awww! Sorry to hear about your Pops. The health service is still pretty good at putting Humpty back together again.  Get some fun building a PC together  :D

cheers, a

« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2012, 07:34:52 PM »

I'm not a great fan of SSDs as I can't see any viable way of wiping them other than pulling the nand memory off the board and smashing it into little bits. Self-levelling algorithms mean you are unlikely to be wiping what you think you're wiping.

Obviously if you're one of these mythical people I hear tell of who don't have anything at all in your life you'd like to keep secret then its not an issue.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2012, 12:14:33 AM »

I'm not a great fan of SSDs as I can't see any viable way of wiping them other than pulling the nand memory off the board and smashing it into little bits. Self-levelling algorithms mean you are unlikely to be wiping what you think you're wiping.

Obviously if you're one of these mythical people I hear tell of who don't have anything at all in your life you'd like to keep secret then its not an issue.

Interesting point  Rizla, and just when this thread was making me think in earnest about using SSDs myself  ???

But TBH, the only 'wiping' algorithm I ever trusted with magnetic HDDs is to dismantle the drive and physically trash the platters.  That was also the approach adopted by HMG  when we were working on a heavily audited secure MOD project.   One of the discs in a build system failed.  We were 'allowed' to replace it and restore from backups, but they asked to borrow the old one before we disposed of it, to make sure it was wiped to their satisfaction.  It came back to us a few weeks later, basically just a bag of bits including all the individual platters, each with its surface physically ground off.  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2012, 10:24:38 PM »

PO'd. 

One of the vital parts (CPU) of my chosen build is out of stock and its quite a big jump in price to go up to the next one..  nor do I want to go back down now I know what I could have had.   This build may take longer than anticipated..  and in the meantime Im using the ipad more for my nettage, but obviously theres stuff on it I cant do.

I could go elsewhere but how much would that cost and would there be a similar delay because Id be starting again from scratch...  so I guess Ive just got to sit it out and wait and hope that they get the CPU I want soon.   It was damn well in stock when I ordered, but I guess cause it was a build it didnt get taken off their stock straight away..  and I guess it was popular because it was on their today only special.   

-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2012, 10:29:24 PM »

>>> I'm not a great fan of SSDs

lol dont care..  Im being geeky about it... and 120,000 IOPS makes me drool  :P

Im possibly one of those that doesnt have too much to hide...  and besides theres always a hammer.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2012, 12:27:20 PM »

Phoned up Scan to have a moan..  10 days now.. and they aint budging on the price  >:(
-----

« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2012, 05:40:31 PM »

Interesting point  Rizla, and just when this thread was making me think in earnest about using SSDs myself  ???

But TBH, the only 'wiping' algorithm I ever trusted with magnetic HDDs is to dismantle the drive and physically trash the platters.  That was also the approach adopted by HMG  when we were working on a heavily audited secure MOD project.   One of the discs in a build system failed.  We were 'allowed' to replace it and restore from backups, but they asked to borrow the old one before we disposed of it, to make sure it was wiped to their satisfaction.  It came back to us a few weeks later, basically just a bag of bits including all the individual platters, each with its surface physically ground off.  :)

It depends on the disks - back in the 1980s/1990s it was quite easy to wipe disks. Gutmann's 35 pass algorithm would get it to the stage that electron microscopes couldn't pull the data back. These days its more difficult due to OS caches, drive caches, controller caches and the method used to encode the platters in the first place.

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that you have two options for wiping disks SECURELY :

1) Open it up and smash the platters to bits, also trash the cache chips. Not a good plan as, quite apart from the chemical issues, the platters shatter into VERY sharp pieces;

2) Use whole disk encryption, then when you're done with it use software to wipe the disk. What does remain will be encrypted and if you succeed in really wiping a few bytes then recovery will be staggeringly expensive.

Off topic really, I'm just constantly amazed at how much history there is on the average user's machine.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2012, 06:47:29 PM »

Btw still not got new system, although I have been advised that it's in final stages of build and 24hr stress testing.  Not sure when I'll get it though as aside from tues next week I have something on every day which severely limits when I can go get it.

Still having scary times with the pc and mostly it just dies assume that's when it overheats ... Although have also breifly seen some bsods before it dies. : :(
-----
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

anything