Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: New PC builds.  (Read 44552 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: New PC builds.
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2012, 03:55:25 PM »

System decided and price agreed @ Scan.

Blown the budget a tiny bit. ::)
Getting the coolermaster case bundle and an ivy bridge system as there isnt much price difference (thought there was until the guy at scan pointed out one of their price deals) Not the highest spec but still a good one.
Decided on the OCZ SSD and they are going to install my own copy of Win7 Pro FoC when they test the system.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2012, 03:58:31 PM »

That sounds good. Have fun. :)
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2012, 04:18:55 PM »

>> Have fun.

Haha the fun will start when I try and move everything over and get used to a new O/S.  The new PC wont be ready for about a week.. and then I will make a joint visit to my bro's and pick it up.

Its taken me a while to decide what to get as I was trying to research VFM parts and a compromise of quality v price.  Ive gone over budget by about £60 but I think Ive got it about covered for a decent spec PC and the case I liked which should be quiet and cool :)

At the end of the day there wasnt much price difference on the basics at novatech and scan.. it could have gone either way.  Scan swung it because of the coolermaster bundle .. and the fact that their guy was much more approachable to making system changes and cutting a deal. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2012, 06:23:44 PM »

Hope your transfer of "stuff" goes smoothly. At least you won't have the puzzle of linux but I don't envy you going with Win 7.
Tony

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2012, 01:47:42 AM »

. . . and the case I liked which should be quiet and cool :)

You have considered, as a result of the latter, that Ziggy might decide the keyboard is definitely now the best "sleeping-spot"?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2012, 01:36:38 PM »

Haha the fun will start when I try and move everything over and get used to a new O/S. 

Ummm Windows 7 is a new OS to you? What the hell have you been using up until now?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2012, 07:08:15 PM »

Haha the fun will start when I try and move everything over and get used to a new O/S. 

Ummm Windows 7 is a new OS to you? What the hell have you been using up until now?

lmao..  yeah I know...  its been a while since I got a new PC and kept adding/replacing bits to this one for the past 4 years :(
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2012, 07:55:37 PM »

You have considered, as a result of the latter, that Ziggy might decide the keyboard is definitely now the best "sleeping-spot"?  :-\

ummm  I hope not :/
mind you I probably put the network switch on top of the PC so that may attract him...  he likes sleeping on routers and switches too.
-----

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2012, 09:01:15 PM »

lmao..  yeah I know...  its been a while since I got a new PC and kept adding/replacing bits to this one for the past 4 years :(

Ah Vista then :D Nobody like admitting that :P

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2012, 09:03:25 PM »

mind you I probably put the network switch on top of the PC so that may attract him...  he likes sleeping on routers and switches too.

You could just get a 20W mat (for plants usually) and put it on a timer ;)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2012, 09:56:43 PM »

>> Ah Vista then :D Nobody like admitting that

Nope...  ok then..  I did have Vista on here (and another machine when they were new)..  but I hated it so went back to XP Pro.

I did buy a copy of Win7 Pro with the intention of putting it on this machine but never did -
It takes much less time to build a PC than re-install all the stuff I have on here and not a task I relished doing if there was no reason to.

Hence me having a brand spanking new copy and not wanting to have to pay for another new licence when I already have one.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2012, 10:02:02 PM »

Re Ziggy sleeping on top of the PC - I really dont mind him doing that -
It keeps him happy cause Im near, but hes not 'in my face'... nor at my feet where Im likely to run him over if I move the chair.  - Lost count of the times I did that with Zac/Chaz -  let me tell you it doesnt make for nice hearing.  :'(  and leaves bald patches of fur  :-X

He only sleeps there when Im in the PC room...  he moves rooms when I do.
-----

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2012, 11:50:26 PM »

XP Pro to 7 is a good move.  8)
Get in before 8 comes out!  >:D
I'm continually amazed at what it copes with, they've really sorted out an awful lot of compatibility issues!  :graduate:

Though having played with W8 they've improved an awful lot "under the hood" but the UI is just plain INTOLERABLE.  >:D

I do have to admit to buying  :-[ :
1. a W7 license pre-release at a "bargain" price.
2. A W7 triple-pack, again at a ridiculously low price, 1 used, 1 "given" to a friend and 1 unused.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2012, 03:11:48 AM »

He's not the only one . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2012, 07:53:32 AM »

2. A W7 triple-pack, again at a ridiculously low price, 1 used, 1 "given" to a friend and 1 unused.

I have one of those - a "family pack". They're meant as an upgrade and won't activate on a clean install, so you just install it twice and it activates fine :D I think it cost about £70 but its discontinued now, at least in the UK.

I can only remember one crash in nearly 3 years, and that was to do with a botched Windows Update. It just works.

Windows 8 is going to be the end of Microsoft unless they're very fortunate. Business won't go near it and consumers will hate Metro. It will bomb so badly it'll make Vista look like a successful product.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

anything