Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Kitz Seminar  (Read 5314 times)

warringtonred

• Just arrived
Kitz Seminar
« on: June 29, 2012, 11:31:44 PM »

Hi everyone, I've been registered on this site for a while now and find it very informative. Thanks everyone, especially the kitz and eagles of differing species.

Anyway, could it be feasible for the elders of this site to organise a broadband seminar of sorts, an informal way to meet and discuss points of interest.

I am with OR and plug this site at every opportunity.

OR engineers often come under fire and I'm sure if there was a conduit of experience and knowledge such as the users and originators of this site provide available In a different environment it could beta great asset.

I am currently working on a multi layered approach to improving our bb engineers skills, education and industry recognition, to ensure our engineers are respected amongst peers.

I believe Kitz could have a role to play.

If you have any ideas then please reply.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Kitz Seminar
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 12:28:59 AM »

Hi warringtonred and welcome.

I agree that its a very good idea and I'd possibly be up for it, however the problem is that between us we probably scattered just about every corner of the UK.

We have some knowledgeable members, who each come to their own in differing areas.. but put us together and we have quite a strong team.  We try to balance this with a friendly atmosphere and it seems to work.

Over the years there are a few of the 'adsl techies' whom I have met, but mostly only through open day type events hosted by an ISP.

Going back a while in the days of adsl infancy, I suppose I was classed as what collectively became known  as 'Ben Verwayens babies' ie the adsl campaigners around the UK.
Ben Verwayen used to be very supportive towards members of the general public who tried to put out information out about adsl..  and even arranged one event at the BT tower, which unfortunately I was unable to attend that one :/

It was also Ben that arranged my BT exchange visits a few years back and arranged time (via one of the area managers) for me to meet differening members of BT staff be it BTw or BTOR.

So back to the seminar idea..  the hiccup could be that we are all volunteers with our time.. and this site isnt a profit making venture.  Location could be a problem and who would pay to host an event :/

Im afraid I dont know the current CEO, although I know of Ian Livingston through his days at Btr, but thats about it.  I dont know how supportive he would be, or whether Liv Garfield would be interested.  There may also be a couple of the ISP reps who may be interested to..  off the top of my head  Zen and Plusnet perhaps.

Would be interesting to see what the other regs think. :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

warringtonred

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 08:41:15 PM »

Thanks kitz for your reply. I appreciate the logistics and I could find a solution utilising ORs phone conference facilities in the short term and possibly trying to get OR to sponsor an event.

To me it seems obvious that the expertise on this site is just what is required to be communicated to our engineers.

I recall your photos on here from your exchange visits etc.

Leave it with me. By the way do you have any dealings with the SCTE?

Cheers, warringtonred

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 11:11:36 PM »

>> do you have any dealings with the SCTE

No sorry, had to google it to find out what it was.  :-[
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 12:40:24 AM »

>> do you have any dealings with the SCTE

No sorry, had to google it to find out what it was.  :-[

So did I.  :P  The Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 07:19:18 PM »

Hi everyone, I've been registered on this site for a while now and find it very informative. Thanks everyone, especially the kitz and eagles of differing species.

Anyway, could it be feasible for the elders of this site to organise a broadband seminar of sorts, an informal way to meet and discuss points of interest.

I am with OR and plug this site at every opportunity.

OR engineers often come under fire and I'm sure if there was a conduit of experience and knowledge such as the users and originators of this site provide available In a different environment it could beta great asset.

I am currently working on a multi layered approach to improving our bb engineers skills, education and industry recognition, to ensure our engineers are respected amongst peers.
I believe Kitz could have a role to play.

If you have any ideas then please reply.

Hi and welcome warringtonred.

I have only just come across this thread and view it with interest. There is currently a 2-day programme being pushed by the new 'Coaching Team', that will see all BB Engineers attending, to give them more insight into how DSL works.
I attended this very programme a few months back and the slide-show (yes, yet another slide show), actually pushed DSL Zone as the site of choice for information. Having been a member of both for some time now, I felt compelled to enlighten my 'teachers', and pointed them towards Kitz as the preferred choice. Whether anybody took notice is another thing ??

I can only assume you are part of the coaching team, perhaps a manager of the newly formed group ??? If you are, then congratulations should go to your group for actually getting this informative course off the ground. We aren't allowed to say it's a 'Training Course', as it isn't an officially led event fronted by substansive trainers.

I'm afraid BB engineering should go back to being a C.U.G. as a high percentage of engineers don't understand the technology, nor want to. It should be on a volunteering basis I feel. But, I can absolutely reiterate your own observations that Kitz is a leader when it comes to knowledge-sharing. The guys (and obviously, gals - Kitz) on here have a wealth of information that is mind-boggling.  :)