Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ADSL2+ Upgrade  (Read 2202 times)

derek-payne

ADSL2+ Upgrade
« on: May 28, 2012, 03:22:36 PM »

I have noted over the last 2 weeks using RouterStats that my D/S. synch. rate has increased from 8128 to 14099 Kbps.and my U/S. synch. rate has increased from (can't remember exactly what) to 1167 Kbps., would I be correct in assuming that my exchange has upgraded to ADSL2+, I am currently contracted with Plusnet on the basic up to 8 Mbps. deal.
My D/S. data rate has remained the same, around 6.3 Mbps., however my U/S. data rate has increased from approx. 675 to 947 Kbps..
My previous D/S. snrm. was approx. 11.3 db., is now 6.3 db. on a good noise free line of 35.5 db. D/S. attenuation, overall performance is still excellent.

My questions are, why has my D/S. data rate not increased proportionately with the increased D/S. synch. rate as I would have expected, the U/S. data rate does appear to have ?
Does my router support ADSL2+, a Netgear DG834G running DG Team firmware V5.01.12 ?
Are there any changes I need to make to my router setttings for ADSL2+ compatability ?
Do I need to upgrade my router to a later model ?

My ISP has not provided any information to date on any exchange upgrade although admittedly I have not as yet asked.

Any advice appreciated.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: ADSL2+ Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 03:37:56 PM »

You've been upgraded to ADSL2+, and your router appears to be working fine, but you still have a Plusnet 8 Mbps service, which is most probably what is limiting your download speed. You need to contact Plusnet and ask to be moved to their "up to 20 Mbps" service (they may call it something slightly different). When that is done there may be some tweaking you can do to optimise your connection, but apart from that there's nothing to be done.
  Eric

derek-payne

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 01:19:05 PM »

Many thanks for the response to my query.

As suspected, it looks like my exchange is indeed now ADSL2+ activated.
As an experiment, I changed my router ADSL mode setting from "auto" to "ADSL2+", this re-synch'ed perfectly at an even slightly higher rate which has certainly confirmed my connection mode.

I will as suggested contact my ISP regarding the available options.
My area is fully FTTC ready but as a very low volume usage household I can't justify the extra cost or do I need the greater monthly download allowance at present.

Again, many thanks for your help with this issue.

derek-payne

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 02:45:16 PM »

Just a quick update to my saga.

I contacted my ISP who responded within a very short period of time and advised that my exchange had indeed recently been upgraded to ADSL2+, they had not noticed but immediately made the necessary adjustments and my D/S data speed then increased to an avg. of 11.6 Mbps., very good result for me, close to double my old rate, no extra charges !

Again, many thanks to Roseway who responded to my query, also a quick plug for the excellent RouterStats program which I run periodically to check my performance and without which I would not have known about the exchange upgrade to ADSL2+..

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 03:04:26 PM »

Good result :)
  Eric