Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTC distance to your home.  (Read 5686 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
FTTC distance to your home.
« on: June 01, 2012, 06:22:52 PM »

Apologies if this has been covered before.

We don't have any BT FTTC street cabinets around my area,but what we have are Digital Region FTTC street cabinets.There is only one on our estate and it is about 200 metres walking distance from my house,yet I have been told the copper cabling from cabinet to house is 861m.

My question is does this sound feasible ? .It seems a long detour to get there.Just to add you can walk from the cabinet in two directions to get to my house and the distances are roughly equal.

I have been told the 861 metres roughly equates to around 20/25 mb downstream and 4/5mb upstream.

There are 3 isp's on the Digital Region project and the only one to do a package less than 40mb is http://www.origin-broadband.co.uk/ who do 24mb/10mb package for £17.50 a month...this package would probably suit me if those distance estimates are correct..What do you think of the price.

I think if I pushed them I could probably get 3 months at half price.

renluop

• Kitizen
Re: FTTC distance to your home.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 08:27:46 PM »

Are there any side streets the loop may go round, whilst reaching you? The spine road on my estate has some that runs off so that neighbours on the spine are expected much different speeds forecast.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 11:37:14 PM »

Uncle -- The relevant distance that Auntie should measure is the sum of the distance from your home to the Openreach PCP and then from the PCP to the Digital Region FTTC.

Why? From my understanding, there is a connection made to your line at the existing (Openreach) PCP from the new Digital Region FTTC.

So the first thing to do is to find your existing PCP. You may need the assistance of a friendly Openreach field service engineer to identify it. Then you will need to have Auntie measure the total distance.

On the off chance that your postcode is listed in the copy of the BT document that is in my possession, just send me (or Walter) a PM with your postcode and we can have a look. If the PCP number can be identified, the first part of the task will have been achieved.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 08:21:31 AM »

PM sent B-Cat  :)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 08:56:58 AM »

I have been told the 861 metres roughly equates to around 20/25 mb downstream and 4/5mb upstream.

FWIW, my line is probably around 1000m (possibly 900m).

Despite the various issues over the last year, my connection has achieved up to 35Mb sync speed (first month) & is currently looking quite stable, but at around only 28.5Mb sync speed.

35Mb sync speed allows around 33Mb throughput & 28.5Mb allows around 26.5 Mb throughput.

Upstream sync speed is currently 4.6Mb & has been over 6Mb at times.

From a few minutes ago:-

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1985474347.png
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 09:02:28 AM by Bald_Eagle1 »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 09:22:18 AM »

Thanks Bald Eagle. :)

I thought if I started on Origins cheaper 24mb package they can always try me on the 40mb package to see how my line copes,if it does I could upgrade,if not stay on the cheaper package

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 09:27:29 AM »

I thought if I started on Origins cheaper 24mb package they can always try me on the 40mb package to see how my line copes,if it does I could upgrade,if not stay on the cheaper package

You could do that, obtain a cheap Huawei HG612 modem via ebay, unlock it & see what your connection would be capable of, to assist in your decision making (& also to allow you to monitor connection stats anyway).

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 10:23:20 AM »

You could do that, obtain a cheap Huawei HG612 modem via ebay, unlock it & see what your connection would be capable of, to assist in your decision making (& also to allow you to monitor connection stats anyway).
I wouldn't be able to do that till I was connected to Digital Region.At present my long line only allow me to get around 2.5mb
You have to use a router and a modem on digital region...a router supplied by the isp and a cellpipe modem which is supplied by Thales who operate the digital region project.The supplied router at present is a Tenda one.

The only isp who just uses a router is littlebigone.com  they use a ZyXEL one

http://www.zyxel.com/products_services/p_2812hnu_fx_series.shtml?t=p

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 10:33:38 AM »

I wouldn't be able to do that till I was connected to Digital Region.At present my long line only allow me to get around 2.5mb
You have to use a router and a modem on digital region...a router supplied by the isp and a cellpipe modem which is supplied by Thales who operate the digital region project.The supplied router at present is a Tenda one.

The only isp who just uses a router is littlebigone.com  they use a ZyXEL one

http://www.zyxel.com/products_services/p_2812hnu_fx_series.shtml?t=p

I meant after you had connected to Digital Region. :)

See this thread here:-

http://drlforum.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=211

They are able to use the unlocked Huawei HG612 in place of the Cellpipe modem, along with my graphing scripts and/or Linux versions.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 06:12:22 PM »

PM sent B-Cat  :)

^-^ Reply sent, Uncle.

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 12:30:47 AM »

There is a table on Think Broadband that gives approximate speeds vs line length.
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI -- TalkTalk Broadband since 2006

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 01:12:37 AM »

There is a table on Think Broadband that gives approximate speeds vs line length.

Approximate is the operative word. That table is a "best effort", using data available at compilation time.  :)

anything