Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: they must use DVDs  (Read 7296 times)

Re: they must use DVDs
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2007, 12:29:11 PM »

The site barely loads now.

I hadn't realised that the website is located in the USA. I am EXTREMELY annoyed about that as it means any financial data transmitted is subject to USA laws first, UK laws second.

The site should be in the UK. End of story.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2007, 01:57:45 PM »

One of the problems with people carrying out checks on your details is that is also registered as a check on your account, subsequently if you actually get turned down for credit purchase or loan etc, part of the reason can be the amount of checks that have taken place on your details.

If there are too many checks, this then starts alarm bells ringing as to why so many checks, resulting in a refusal of what you wanted on the basis of "better to be safe than sorry" (What constitutes "Too Many" is any ones guess).

The only exception to this, is if and when a check is instigated by your-self as this does not count.

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2007, 02:07:32 PM »

What worries me is that I haven't had any sort of check on my credit record in 4 years :(

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2007, 02:17:05 PM »

Well Experian have just advised me that a check has been made on my/our credit file - first check/alert I've ever seen from their CreditExpert service.

Can they, or will they tell you who has instigated the check?
Only I feel this should be something that you have the right to know!

Two possible answer's are.
1. Your own credit card company carrying out a routine check, (although unlikely)
2. Someone trying to apply for credit/finance in either your name or a name that has got mixed-up with yours.

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2007, 02:28:18 PM »

Their website is so overloaded right now that accessing the credit report is impossible. They do have a query system where you can get further information although I've never had to use it so far.

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2007, 07:46:40 PM »

Slightly off the point but regarding the NHS system..

A Government drone was interviewed about why the system was costing so much.  Part of the reply was that they had obtained the PCs for the bargain price of £15,000 each (yes that's 15 Thousand, not 15 hundred, or even £150 which would be nearer the true value)  :-X.

Nobody pointed out that it must be impossible to spend that much on 1 PC (unless it's a Mac)  ;).

Nobody in Government has a clue what they are doing, and the media (especially the Broadcast media) seem to have even less.
Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2007, 10:21:06 AM »

Update on CreditExpert :

Apparently since I haven't looked at my credit report for 6 months it has now been archived for "security purposes". This means that I can't view it via CreditExpert. I have to get a new account to see it. Obviously I've told Experian what they can do with the account and demanded my full annual fee back. Quite what the point of sending me alerts is when I can't see what caused the alert is totally beyond me.

I'm off to see what the Equifax service is like but I strongly recommend none of you use CreditExpert.

Hmm much easier to get into the Equifax service although probably less secure. No searches showing there so it must be a search on Clare that triggered the Experian alert.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 10:40:20 AM by rizla »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2007, 03:22:19 PM »

>> This means that I can't view it via CreditExpert. I have to get a new account to see it.

That does seem a bit odd  ???  and totally pointless of having an annual fee like you say >:(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2007, 05:09:53 PM »

Just in case anyone wonders how annual membership of CreditExpert "works":

They monitor your credit file on a weekly basis and will send out defined alerts by email/SMS. Eg - someone has done a check on you. Every month (or quarter - I can't remember) they will email you a summary of activity on your credit report - eg number of checks done, number of amendments etc.

So its advertised as a service where they will alert you if there's something amiss. Only when you come to actually check an alert you can't unless you've been checking your credit report manually ??? They wouldn't tell me how often you need to check your report to prevent it being archived but it's obviously less than 6 months.

Avoid them is my advice.

Aside to kitz - once you have a CreditExpert account then its just the usual nonsense (DoB/mothers maiden name etc) to get them to accept your identity over the phone. Not what I'd call secure :(
Pages: 1 [2]

anything