Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: they must use DVDs  (Read 7295 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
they must use DVDs
« on: November 21, 2007, 01:55:03 PM »

What size of disc are these guys using ???   :o

Complete details of 25 million people on two missing discs.   :'(    Only two discs for all these folks.  :no:

What a shambles, their disc storage security must be a bit like mine, a heap somewhere behind and around the PC.

If it were not so serious an indictment of the cavalier manner in which the lumpen proletariat of this country are treated by their "betters", it would make a great Monty Python sketch.

Will emigrate to Turkmenistan, this sort of thing doesn't happen there. if only because they don't have PCs there.  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: they must use DVDs
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 02:06:54 PM »

Tis a bit worrying wondering where those disks are.  :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 02:40:29 PM »

It is a database protected by a password. It is NOT encrypted. Should take less time than it took to post this to extract all the data.

Binary data cannot be protected. It is impossible even if you throw amazing resources (think NSA here) at the problem. Even shared key systems (where several people/systems hold part of the key) don't work once you introduce people who aren't highly motivated to protect their part of the key. No system can survive key disclosure.

What happened here is clear to anyone with a passing familiarity with govt depts and, more importantly with the outsourced IT which each uses (HMRC is EDS). The poor sod that is being blamed for this couldn't have written the CDs as people of his grade don't have logins which are capable of writing data to any removable source - CD/DVD/USB/Floppy. For this person to have done what is being claimed would have required privileges way way beyond that level. So we're left with either a totally compromised system (possible but not likely) or a manager who doesn't have the first idea of what he's doing and hands his password out so "minions" can do what he considers beneath himself.

This data will get into the wild. If you have ANY passwords which have any combination of family names (kids/spouse) and/or birth dates then change them NOW. The govt has known about the breach for ten days. HMRC apparently knew about it for far longer - so the scuttlebutt goes right now. Really ladies - for statistically it is women who use family data in passwords -  take a long hard look at all your passwords. NOW.

NO2ID people - please go support them even if its just by registering because what are you going to do if someone changes your biometric data? New eyeballs aren't an option. Being repeatedly shot in the head by the police when your biometric data "doesn't match" probably is an option ;)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 03:07:19 PM »

The full sorry story can be found here:-

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/economics/story/0,,2214109,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront

And by the way, these are not the only discs to be lost just recently.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 03:20:46 PM »

Quote "And by the way, these are not the only discs to be lost just recently."

How very true, and worse is to come as I bet the lax practices described by rizla above above are still carrying on.

Living in a fascist state is bad enough, but living in an inept and incompetent fascist state is unbearable.
We should all join and lodge our protests at NO2ID, download the petition forms, go round your neighbourhood.....and when you have done that, start to tackle the horrendously dangerous idea of centralised NHS records.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 03:26:51 PM »

It chills the blood to think that an organisation blessed with so much legal power can be so cavalier with this sensitive data. I'm tempted by Turkmenistan too. :'(
  Eric

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 03:32:42 PM »

Ah yes "the spine". There was a website with a suitable letter format to send to your doctor which kept you off the spine but I can't find it. Anyone else?

Isn't "implied consent" wonderful peeps? The govt imply that you agree to things they don't actually inform you of. Kafkaesque or what? I'm sure there will be a "Beware of the Leopard" sign somewhere :D

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 03:35:12 PM »

It beats me why they had to transfer the data by disc.  Surely government departments have a secure intranet for that kind of thing?
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 03:39:23 PM »

No Floydoid they don't - well not one that any of the staff can use.

Email is limited to 4MB attachments.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 03:52:02 PM »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 04:07:20 PM »

t'is all rather worrying... what next?  chips?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 05:40:16 PM »

I wonder if they can be sued under the Data Protection Act, because they certainly haven't protected the Data :no:

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 05:46:23 PM »

You cannot "sue" any govt department in England & Wales unless it involves personal injury/health & safety. You cannot take any govt dept to the small claims track under ANY circumstances.

Welcome to 1984.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 05:49:19 PM »

I wonder if they can be sued under the Data Protection Act, because they certainly haven't protected the Data :no:

The last bit of that should read ".........they certainly haven't protected OUR data"

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 11:24:21 AM »

Well Experian have just advised me that a check has been made on my/our credit file - first check/alert I've ever seen from their CreditExpert service.

Sadly they seem to be suffering load problems (not surprising really) so I currently can't find out who initiated the check. Neither of us have applied for credit or renewed credit agreements/whatever this year so its more than a little worrying.

Hopefully normal service is resumed ASAP so I can see what is occurring :(
Pages: [1] 2