Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Infinity Speed Stats  (Read 3204 times)

m_mike

• Just arrived
BT Infinity Speed Stats
« on: June 01, 2012, 03:55:33 PM »

I have unlocked my modem and obtained the attached stats but I was wondering could someone help me interpert them.  BT Infinity states that I should receive 44Mb downstream but I have never received anything near that and I am trying to find out why. I have currently been placed on the 30Mb profile and the speed dropped by 4Mb when I transferred onto Infinity 2.  I believe that I am less that 0.5 miles from the cabinet.  Any help would be appreciated. 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 04:18:21 PM by m_mike »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: BT Infinity Speed Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 05:07:07 PM »

Hi m_mike & Welcome to the Kitz forum.

Your stats look very similar to mine (attached).

I am also around 0.5 mile or so from the cabinet & struggling to understand why I was able to achieve around 35Mb sync speed when FTTC was first installed June 2011 & currently only achieving only around 28.5Mb.

I know my attenuation levels are quite high, but I have no idea what they were last year as we were unable to access the modem's stats back then.

I notice your SNR levels (not SNRM) appear quite low & a little "spikey", suggesting a noisy line.
That could explain your DS speed being lower than mine, despite your connection having slightly better attenuation levels than mine.

My line has suffered a number of physical issues needing repair works over quite a few months now. Has yours?

What is the 30Mb profile you mention?

Also, Infinity 2. Is that the up to 80Mb service?

I have noticed that my US attenuation shot up by around 20dB in one of the US bands quite recently & that my DS band plan altered slightly at the same time from 3939 tones to 3959 tones.

For comparison purposes, do you have any earlier/better stats than those you have posted?

If you wanted to plot your graphs similar to mine, please use the GRAPH6.BAT that is attached to my next post.

The output montages should be small enough to directly post here as PNG files.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 05:18:18 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 05:09:28 PM »

Zipped GRAPH6.BAT "snapshot" stats graphing script attached

My personal preference is the Portrait montage.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 05:11:59 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

m_mike

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 07:34:00 PM »

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I don't have any earlier stats. Even when it was installed I never got more than 30mb. The ip profile seems to be set by BT Dlm And when I use the BT speed checker it can run a diagnostic and it states it there. I'm hoping to have an engineer call tomorrow and run more  checks. Infinity 2 is the 80Mb option.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 10:28:15 PM »

I'm hoping to have an engineer call tomorrow and run more  checks. Infinity 2 is the 80Mb option.

The visiting engineer will no doubt run some connection tests using a JDSU or Exfo handheld tester.

See the attached (poor quality) photo of a JDSU 3000 being used on my connection back in the days of the original FTTC 8c profile.

Line length, sync speed, attenuation etc. are reported.

If the line length looks "excessive" it could indicate an issue.
The engineer may also look up your line's details on his laptop via BT's Neetwork Records, which would confirm the actual route & materials used.

It may well be that your line takes a detour on its way from the cabinet to your home and/or it may consist of sections of aluminium cabling, both of which could increase attenuation.

The "spikey" SNR graph looks a bit concerning.
Does it ever look much smoother in appearance at different times of day?

Note that QLN & Hlog graphs are only updated during a connection resync/modem reboot.

If the engineer does suspect a "repairable" problem, he may run a TDR test to determine its distance from your master socket.

Have you tried running your connection via a dangly filter (after removing the telephone & VDSL2 faceplates)?
Doing that would help to eliminate potential internal telephone extension wiring & a possibly faulty filtered VDSL2 faceplate.

When connected, does your connection stay in sync for many days at a time, or is it frequently resyncing?

Good luck with the visit & let us know how it goes.