Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Close to cab (100m) but unusually slow?  (Read 9518 times)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Close to cab (100m) but unusually slow?
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 09:18:20 PM »

20000 & 59999 look like set sync speed caps that may still need overriding manually.

The 20000 is no problem & is the max for your service & as expected.

Assuming DS SNRM still exceeds 6dB by a few dB (I strongly suspect it does) there is still scope for more DS sync speed, but the 59999 does look like an intentional speed cap.

While not ruling it out, we are not aware that DLM for FTTC services gradually increases sync speeds in fixed steps following improvement/repair works.
Rather it usually either "sticks" at some lower level or increases immediately to either the maximum capped level (79999 for your service) or some other intermediate level that doesn't end in 999 or 000.

Was this recent change in response to you contacting your ISP, or has DLM simply decided that's the max speed you can have, no doubt based upon the history of poor speeds/disconnections etc?

boxhead

• Just arrived
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 08:33:33 AM »

Assuming DS SNRM still exceeds 6dB by a few dB (I strongly suspect it does)

Yes, SNRM is ok.  It dropped from ~18 to ~14 just after 6am yesterday but it's back to ~17 just after 6am today.

Max attainable DS dropped to ~98000 and US down to ~30000.
Capped DS/US speed still at 59999 and 20000 resp.

While not ruling it out, we are not aware that DLM for FTTC services gradually increases sync speeds in fixed steps following improvement/repair works.

Things seem to happen between 6-7am.  Today, interleaving fell from >1200 to OFF.  Ping times are now 9-10ms to bbc.co.uk, down from >20ms.

After reading a few posts, I have resigned myself to the fact that we just let DLM do it's job.  So far, it seems to work.

I'm hoping I'll check that stats in a couple of days and that (DLM enforced) speed cap will increase, hopefully, once more to 8000 once the error rates are proven to be stable.   Definitely NOT going to power cycle/reboot the modem.

I think DLM just tinkers with settings (interleaving, power levels?, etc) every 24 hours until it's happy it has achieved the maximum stable/error free rate.

Was this recent change in response to you contacting your ISP...

No, ISP says they cannot do anything to reset DLM.

Lets see in a couple of days...  I think the message is be patient.... DAMN, it's really testing mine!   :'(

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 09:21:12 AM »

No, ISP says they cannot do anything to reset DLM.

That's not strictly true.
It is true that they can't physically reset it. They have to contact BT to get it reset.

This used to definitely require an engineer to be on site to liaise with BT's Fibre Centre (can't recall its proper name) & to check the outcome of the reset.

This procedure seems to have become slightly more relaxed now.
The latest visiting engineer left my home telling me the reset should happen in the next few hours.
As it happens, the reset actually happened while he was on the phone explaining it to me.

I hope, for your sanity, that DLM does indeed eventually sort things out, letting you have what your connection now appears to be capable of.

If not, maybe a DLM reset request will require escalation to someone who knows the score at your ISP.
Who is this unenlightened ISP by the way?

boxhead

• Just arrived
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 08:10:39 AM »

Latest update...

I hope, for your sanity, that DLM does indeed eventually sort things out

Indeed, DLM has again made a house call this morning and DS now 73999.   Maybe tomorrow it will be all but done and dusted.

Looks like DLM does make incremental changes based on 24 hour assessments.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 09:40:55 AM »

Indeed, DLM has again made a house call this morning and DS now 73999.   Maybe tomorrow it will be all but done and dusted.

Looks like DLM does make incremental changes based on 24 hour assessments.

That's great news & also very interesting feedback regarding apparent incremental increases.

boxhead

• Just arrived
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 10:20:29 AM »

For reference, here's the last 7 days stats.  I'm hopeful that there will be another correction tomorrow morning which will see the DS get to 80000 (or 79999) and the SNRM step back up again.

It's pretty obvious the engineer fixed the underground joint issues (in the pit at the base of the pole, which is outside my house) and, I think, put me on another pair at 8:30-11:30 on 8th June.  He did also suggest that the connections in that pit "aren't ideal" and corrected "a few things" - all outside. I guess he needed to fix the shoddy work of the subcontractor who did the brand new line installation (previously Virgin line) into my comms cupboard.   ???

I'll post a final (?) graph perhaps this weekend.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 10:56:23 AM »

In graphpd.BAT you could replace the relevant parts of the attainable rate function with this:-

echo set yrange [0:130000] >> attainable_rate.gnp
   echo set ytics axis 5000 nomirror >> attainable_rate.gnp

echo set grid xtics back >> attainable_rate.gnp
   echo set grid ytics back >> attainable_rate.gnp

echo set key at "%DTBEGIN%",129000 left noautotitle box 3 >> attainable_rate.gnp
   echo plot 'GDATA$$' using 1:9 title ' DS' linecolor 9 w lines >> attainable_rate.gnp

echo unset grid >> attainable_rate.gnp

echo set key at "%DTBEGIN%",124000 left noautotitle box 3 >> attainable_rate.gnp
   echo plot 'GDATA$$' using 1:10 title ' US' linecolor 7 w lines >> attainable_rate.gnp   

echo unset multiplot >> attainable_rate.gnp

goto :eof

It will extend the y axis to 130Mb & move the key up accordingly to accommodate your new found max rates  ;)
Pages: 1 [2]

anything