Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Is Billion 7800N still best recommendation for long line?  (Read 5788 times)

cam

Is Billion 7800N still best recommendation for long line?
« on: May 17, 2012, 09:40:29 AM »

Hi

I am at the end of a long line (attn = 57).
I currently sync at 1984 with snrm 12.

The exchange is not adsl+ enabled.

Is the Billion BiPac 7800N still the general recommendation for my situation?

Thanks in advance for nay suggestions

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Is Billion 7800N still best recommendation for long line?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 10:26:10 AM »

I don't think that the 7800N's ADSL performance is any better than many other Broadcom-based modem/routers, but it does have some other good points, such as its gigabit ethernet ports and QOS capability. If your main interest is in the ADSL performance, then the D-Link DSL-2740B (which uses the same chipset) would most probably serve at least as well, and there are several others to choose from.

Many people would say that the 2-Wire 2700HG-V is the best choice for long lines, and I wouldn't dispute that view, although there's no certainty that any product will be the best until you've tried it.
  Eric

gouledw

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 11:35:15 AM »

im on the 9km long line, and it appears that although a drop in sync speed of about 700kbps, my hh3 performs most stable on my line at 15dm snr

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 09:35:29 PM »

i dunno if this matters anymore, just come across it on a search about the router (see qoute below)

typically, the rule of thumb is get a router that has same chipset as your ISP's Dslam/Msan as they work well together, the Billion BiPAC 7800N uses a Broadcom 6358 chipset , I have just purchased a Netgear DG834N with same chip and it definitley performs better than the 6348 chip that many other 'Broadcom' routers use, my ISP (sky) uses a broadcom chipped MSAN on my exchange - if you have telnet capabilities then you can check

What's bad about the 2700HGV ?

The 2700HGV is provided to BT Business Broadband customers, so if you pick one up on eBay or wherever, it will come with no guarantee or warranty from BT. The 2700HGV model hubs have generally proved to be very reliable. However, the mains power adapters have a life expectancy of between 2 and 4 years before failing.

Well, like all 2Wire routers past & present, there is no support for uPnP. 

(Added 26 Feb 10):  There is a short discussion about uPnP apparently existing on some versions of later BT firmwares.  Click here for more details.  I've been very busy lately, so not had a chance to investigate.

(Added 14 Mar 10): Arctophile from idnetters forum reports he uses a webcam application (YawCam) that can stream video. On both the V5.29.117.6 & V6 routers the program returns the message that the router is NOT UPnP compatible.

(Added 14 Mar 10): Zane reports his Singtel 2701HGV-E gateway running factory installed v5.29.133.25 firmware appears to support uPnP as it automatically set up the necessary ports for Skype and uPnP.  Click here.

VOIP was designed to work with BT services but there are discussions in the-scream.co.uk about how to persuade the 2700HGV to work with other VOIP providers.  I'm afraid I have no interest with VOIP - please refer to The-scream forums.  Most ppl have had most success with configuring 3rd party VOIP when using BT v5.29.107.12/19, less success with v5.29.117.x firmwares, and so far no success with BT's new v6.x firmware when configuring a brand new hub.

With BT's new 6.1.x firmware, there is presently no way of editing the wireless power setting.  The default wireless power setting of '1' equates to a power output is 25mW which is a quarter of the maximum power permissible for use in the UK.   Hubs with earlier v4 or v5 firmwares are a better bet if you need higher wireless power outputs.  Single SSID hubs with v4 firmware can support up to 400mW, and the any hub with v5 firmware will support up to 100mW.

(Added 1 May 11): BT ships v6.3.x firmware with their new 2701HGV-C BT Business Hub.  This has a default wireless power setting of '3', which I believe equates to 75mW power output.

As with all 2wire routers, the 2700 doesn't support configuration via telnet. If you are looking for high level of configurability which you may have come to expect from other makes of routers from the likes of Thomson, Linksys, Netgear etc, then I'm afraid you will need to look elsewhere.    From my experience of using past 2Wire gateway products, they tend to be engineered for ease of use for the likes of Joe Public.  I've rarely had to reboot a 2wire router because it has frozen/locked up unlike past Linksys and Netgear routers I've had the misfortune to use.

Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 11:50:21 PM »

@ asbokid - what is it that is it about the 2Wire routers that make them so favourable...?

###REMOVED BY SNADGE...PM SENT###
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 12:45:27 AM by snadge »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 12:16:46 AM »

sorry for hijacking thread, just i wanted to ask asbokid about this

Ah, I wonder if the PM facility would be useful for such purposes!  :P  (b*cat has gone into pesky mode, so don't worry snadge!)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 12:44:16 AM »

sorry for hijacking thread, just i wanted to ask asbokid about this

Ah, I wonder if the PM facility would be useful for such purposes!  :P  (b*cat has gone into pesky mode, so don't worry snadge!)

no worrys,  I was thinking about it as the message got longer and longer lol... and I just went into LAZY MODE and thought "ahh stuff it, if he replies about it I will PM him" hehe - I will PM him now  8)

anything