Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Email accounts that can't be traced?  (Read 7130 times)

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
Email accounts that can't be traced?
« on: May 27, 2012, 11:20:52 PM »

Are there any email accounts that can't be traced back to an ISP or sender where the sender can actually remain anonymous?  I know very little about such things but have always assumed that all email accounts can be traced even if someone uses a false ID etc.

Thanks in advance for your comments/help

Chrissie

Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Email accounts that can't be traced?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 07:26:11 PM »

Sorry that you're not getting any responses, Chrissie. I don't really know the answer, although I'm sure it's possible. One thing which occurs is that you can get a throwaway email address which only has a limited life before being deleted from the record, and you could use one of these to sign up for a web-based email service like gmail or hotmail.
  Eric

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 07:46:55 PM »

Hello Eric

Many thanks for answering.  I wondered about a hotmail account so will look into that, just thought they could be traced but not too sure (as I'm not about most thing on tinternet lol).  Really appreciate your help though, thanks so much.

Chrissie

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 08:12:39 PM »

You can do it by using a re-mailer although if you're not very computer or internet savvy, then it might be better to use a web based service such as http://send-email.org/
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI -- TalkTalk Broadband since 2006

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 08:37:26 PM »

I was a witness in a court case not so long ago.
To me some highly technical aspect were very interesting such as the tracing of mobile phone locations and how accurately this could be done so as to put the phone within a certain radius of place X during time y to z.
Anyway
Part of the case involved someone sending threatening emails
These emails were sent by someone trying to hide themselves and pass themselves off as someone else.
Despite this, the emails were traced back to the computer sending them which in turn led to the individual.
The sender was I suspect "invited by the police to explain their actions in court" - probably with the implications that charges would also be brought against them if they did not cooperate fully.

I suspect you would need to use a service outside the juristiction or reach of the UK judicial establishment.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 11:22:02 PM »

I have to say that I am puzzled as to why anyone would want to do this for legitimate reasons. I suspect also to be completely safe you would need to use a computer which is also out of the UK jurisdiction.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 11:45:08 PM »

I'd say it depends whether simple anominity is all that is needed, or whether the sender also wishes to be immune from the forces of law and order, who may have special powers to compell ISPs and mail agents to disclose data logs under, say, the anti-terrorism laws.

If you just want to send a message to a friend as a joke then you can probably remain anonymous quite easily just by using webmail.  You could also use an open smtp gateway, and spoof your source  address.

But if your thinking of doing anything that would merit investigation by those with the above empowerments, you haven't got a chance.  When you visit the webmail site, or hit the smtp gateway, your IP address would be recorded.  Your ISP would then be able to identify you from their logfiles, even if the IP were dynamically allocated.  I'm pretty sure the logs will be held for a very long time.

One thing that may allow you to cover your tracks a little bit would be to buy a payg mobile phone, refuse to tell the retailer who you are, and use that for sending the emails via a fake webmail account.  Buy it and top up only with cash, of course, never a credit card.  Even then, if they want to get you, and they have legal (or even military) powers, they always will.  :)

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 08:03:36 AM »

Thanks all for your responses.  Hope I won't disappoint you, it's not for anything sinister, only for someone to protect their identity IF they can, not imperative but would be helpful I gather.  I didn't think there it would be foolproof with the way the governments have everything sewn up when it comes to ordinary peeps using "big brother" technology, but then again when used for sinister stuff I guess we are all pleased that sometimes these things can be found out.  :)

Chrissie