Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: DSL Stats Logging & Graphing Scripts for Netgears & Zoom X7N  (Read 108077 times)

snadge

• Kitizen

Iam posting Bald_Eagle's xDSL graphing scripts here with instructions on how too use them ,for those that may want too...

credit to: Bald_Eagle also Asbokid and Burakkucat (i believe) as the original developers of these scripts, and anyone else I have missed out

NOTE: These are a work in progress, I will amend this post with a ChangeLog at the bottom as we change them - also, they have not been tested on ADSL2 connection, only ADSL2+ and ADSL (G.DMT) - we need someone with an ADSL2 connection who can aid in testing for us.

DOWNLOAD:
http://www.mediafire.com/?qwpvs43w9hqtd

WHAT DO THESE DO..?:
You can use these to log & graph your router stats and line characteristics, very usefull when trying to locate & resolve problems one may be having with your broadband connection, see bottom of post for example of graphs.

there are 2 main functions of these scripts,
1. Graphing a snapshot of the Line Characteristics (SNR, QLN, Hlog, Bit-Swapping) on demand of the user (it can also be scheduled to get snaphosts at set periods)
2. Log the Line Statistics (Sync, Noise Margin, Line Attenuation, Errors, Uptime etc etc) every 1 minute so that they can be graphed over any set period of time since the log began by the user (e.g. last 6 Hours, 24 hours, 3 days etc etc).

These scripts have been optimized and set too work out-of-the-box on Broadcom chipped Netgear routers such as 834Gv4 , 834GT , 834N , DGN2000 etc that use the default login of admin and password on the IP address 192.168.0.1  , if you have changed your routers login and/or IP Address then changes need to be made...see below, these scripts work on Stock Netgear Firmware and DGTeam Firmware.

If you need to adjust the scripts to work with your IP or Login details then follow the instructions below, other wise go to How Do I Use These below...

To adjust login details,
1. Install the ADSL_Stats folder into the root of your C:\ drive.
2. Find the LOGIN1.TXT and LOGIN2.TXT files in the Apps folder, open them and change the text in LOGIN1 to your username and LOGIN2 to your password and save them.
3. If you have change the IP address of your router then you need to find and replace all instances of 192.168.0.1 in all scripts and change & save them to whatever you use.

HOW DO I USE THESE..?:
1. If you haven't already done so, install the ADSL_Stats into the root of your drive.
2. To get the Line Characteristics just run GET CURRENT STATS.BAT in the Scripts folder, the graphs will be output in the Current_Stats Folder.
3. To start logging of your Line Stats (every 1 minute) run START_LOGGING_24-7.BAT , follow the instructions, this runs a silent task that retrieves your router logs every 1 minute and stores them , to stop & delete the task run STOP_LOGGING_24-7.BAT
4. To Graph your router stats from the log thats being built up simply run graphpdADSL.BAT and follow the instructions, for example: you would enter 10 m for 10 minutes, 10 h for hours or 10 d for 10 days.. or just pressing enter without entering anything defaults to last 24 hours, the resulting graphs are output in Ongoing_Stats folder

thats it!! :)

If you want to schedule the GET CURRENT STATS.BAT script for comparing SNR, QLN, Bit-Swapping etc over periods of time then open task scheduler and create a new task and set it at daily, recurr every 1 days, repeat task whatever periods you want (hourly etc) for duration of: Indefinitley , but MAKE SURE you offset the time by 30 seconds (so it starts at 30 seconds past the minute/hour) this is important because if you run both the LOGGING task and This task at same time (Like I do) then thay can clash when they meet on the hour, whereas off-setting it; one will run dead on :00 and the other run on :30, each only take about 10 seconds to complete, then, on ACTIONS, choose new, in program/script box type wscript.exe and in the add arguments box copy and paste the code below:
"C:\ADSL_Stats\Scripts\invisible.vbs" "C:\ADSL_Stats\Scripts\GET CURRENT STATS.bat"
then finalize the schedule and enable it.

thats it!!

Thanks to Bald_Eagle for all his hard work and support developing these scripts for us too use, and also thanks to Asbokid and B'kat who I believe also played huge part in developement,  credit to GrahamC from the Plusnet Community Forum for testing & amending the scripts for use with the Zoom router & to Aroberston545 from Kitz for his feedback & findings through the amending & testing process.
and thanks to everyone else for help and testing :)

CHANGELOG :

CHANGELOG - ROUTER STATS LOGGIN & GRAPHING SCRIPTS v 1.4

changes to ADSLGRAPH.bat + graphdADSL.bat
1. Now available for Zoom X7N Routers

CHANGELOG - ROUTER STATS LOGGIN & GRAPHING SCRIPTS v 1.3

changes to ADSLGRAPH.bat:
1. To multiplot Upstream Bit-loading in Green & Downstream Bit-loading in Red.
2. ADSL2+ Bit-loading and SNR is now plotted with "absolute" sized filled boxes as the original graphs were plotted with boxes touching each other, even when there should be a gap (no bits loaded at the given tone).

CHANGELOG - ROUTER STATS LOGGIN & GRAPHING SCRIPTS v 1.2

changes to getADSLstats.bat:
1. left in quite a lot of REM'ed comments & debugging code just in case a problem crops up that needs sorting out.
2. only report actual data collection errors in Error.log to keep the file down in size & to make it easier to spot errors.

CHANGELOG - ROUTER STATS LOGGIN & GRAPHING SCRIPTS v 1.1

changes to graphdADSL.bat:
1. change Error.log back to just recording errors.
2. US_RSCorr plotted in wrong colour...fixed.
3. US_RSCorr missing from montage...fixed.

EXAMPLES.......

« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 08:17:22 PM by snadge »
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

les-70

• Kitizen

Thanks for doing this.  I was struggling through the history of its development trying to find the current version.  However your mediafire  link does not work for me.  Please can you check it.

les-70

• Kitizen

Yes it does work if you try a few times.  Thanks

snadge

• Kitizen

Hi les-70,

the link works for me? if others have trouble I will provide a few more links with other hosts, I may just do that for good measure

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

the link works for me? if others have trouble I will provide a few more links with other hosts, I may just do that for good measure

It worked O.K. for me when I tested it too.

snadge

• Kitizen

BA just sent you 2 emails  ;)

kezzaman

• Reg Member

I might have a luke at dis  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

Topic moved to the router section and stickied.   Thanks to all involved for doing this.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

snadge

• Kitizen

thanks KITZ :)

they work a charm, I have just printed out before/after shots of QLN/SNR ... AND ... past 10 days Line Atten/ SNRM / SYNC so I can show the BT Broadband Engineer when he lands today... I can say LOOK, BEFORE , AFTER... AND MY SYNC AND UPSTREAM LINE ATTEN HAS BEEN ALL OVER THE SHOP, HERE ARE RESULTS FROM PAST 10 DAYS...

thanks guys :)

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics

Hi,
I've arrived late at this party.The scripts look like they produce pretty neat graphs of the stats.
But on downloading them I was disappointed to find that they're Windows scripts..
If there's ever a rewrite in the future perhaps consider making them more portable by using a language like Perl or Python which would enable the scripts to be run on WIndows, Linux and Mac.

Cheers,
Peter

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

Peter,

Congratulations! You have just volunteered to re-write Bald_Eagle1's scripts in a Linux/Unix/W'doze-friendly scripting language!  :D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

snadge

• Kitizen

I think they are already available in Linux..?? not sure, I do know these were developed from Linux scripts anyway

are there no BAT-to (linux/Mac script) converters?

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

@ snadge,

The next time you know you will be "messing about" with your connction, how would you fancy temporarily forcing an ADSL2 connection instead of ADSL2+, just to see if the scripts correctly detect the mode as ADSL2 & determine the correct number of tones for the X axis etc?

snadge

• Kitizen

@ Bald_Eagle - Hi BA :) , I would but like I said some time ago (cant remember if it were on that other thread or email to you) that for SOME reason ADSL2 mode cant be forced on SKY SVBN , they do use it as far as Im aware, maybe they dont?  but when I try to force that mode in DMT or DGTeam it just constantly keeps trying to connect and fails..I think EVENTUALLY it comes on as ADSL1, but cant remember if that was just me sick of waiting and trying that mode

I will give it another bash... 2 minutes

...nope...doesnt work?  anyone else for ADSL2 on a sky LLu connection?

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

I would but like I said some time ago (cant remember if it were on that other thread or email to you) that for SOME reason ADSL2 mode cant be forced on SKY SVBN

Ah, yes, I remember now.
Cheers anyway.

How did the engineer's visit go?
It was planned for today, wasn't it?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

anything