Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: TalkTalk ADSL2 throughput problem  (Read 8067 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
TalkTalk ADSL2 throughput problem
« on: May 21, 2012, 02:00:13 PM »

Hello everybody,

Has anybody got an idea what might be wrong with this service. We've convinced India to send an engineer but my guess is that it's something like a stuck profile.
If so how can we get it cleared without the site visit ?

The modem actually syncs very well indeed for the 5 km line distance with the 2Wire reporting that the service is capped at 8192 Kbps with a sync speed of 4341 Kbps.
There is some slight line noise but a tolerable level of CRCs and FECs.

Many throughput tests show sub 500 Kbps throughput speeds.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/133759362166818918857.html

The new TalkTalk D-Link ESL2680BTTS..A1E syncs marginally slower.

There is such a large and consistent difference between Sync and throughput speeds that I don't think it can be down to contention.

All ideas gratefully received,
Walter

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: TalkTalk ADSL2 throughput problem
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 06:50:45 PM »

>> There is such a large and consistent difference between Sync and throughput speeds that I don't think it can be down to contention.
>> my guess is that it's something like a stuck profile.

Something to try..  It may be worth using Netmeter and grabbing a large download from a good source

A capped profile looks something like this

Severe contention looks something like this

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 08:59:36 PM »

Hi Walter, I take it from the 8128 cap that although you are with TT, your product is actually supplied via BT's IPStream ?

Although TT have little control over the resold product, it is possible for them to request a profile reset.  Rather than using telephone CS, you might want to consider asking on the Members Forum for this.  Although you will have to follow a few processes (standard procedure I'm afraid), once you get it raised then you at least have a reference point and a thread to refer to, should you not be happy with the result.

Also, if you go via the forum, it is unlikely they would request a site visit for you as long as you have completed all the relevant checks (test socket, different router, different filter, different cables) and recorded at least three speedtests on the official TT speedtester.  If they were to request a site visit, they would ask you to confirm possible TRC's first.  Without acceptance, no visit would be booked.
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI -- TalkTalk Broadband since 2006

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 09:19:24 PM »

Walter -- To make use of the TT India service is about as productive as  :wall:  and is liable to result in  :comp:

One receives a far better response by making use of the TalkTalk Members' Forum and discussing the issues with an OCE (Online Community Executive).

As you know, I have been using TalkTalk as my CP for nearly five years. The modem/routers that are given to new customers are, basically, borderline functional!  :-X  A 2Wire device is far, far superior!  :D

By discussion with the OCEs, I have a profile of 8ISNR6 with the DLM turned off. With the 2Wire 2700HG using ADSL2 mode, that gives me the best my line is capable of achieving.

As for the issues of that line? I have no idea.  :no:  I would suggest leaving all devices disconnected overnight, then power on the testing 2Wire during daylight hours the next day. I have found that the TalkTalk MSANs sometimes need a good 12 hours disconnect to "stop being silly".

Attached are some images from my TalkTalk fully LLU'd line.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 11:35:59 PM »

Thank you very much one and all !

India insisted we should have a free visit but I was already not convinced that bringing an engineer to site would help very much.
I think we've now got a TalkTalk Customer Services incident number logged but rest assured I will help the end-user through the morass if that is inconclusive.

The exchange is THCN Cranleigh which does purport to have a TT LLU presence. Time will tell.

Kind regards,
Walter

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 11:59:05 PM »

Theres also possibility that the line could be on something called "max capped rate profile"..  this can happen if the line has had bad performance in the past particularly on such a long line and the DLM switches it over to  a max capped product.
It looks very much like a stuck bRAS profile.

This is something that isnt even always visible to the ISP and can easily be missed... nvm the india call center not having a clue about the existence of such a thing.

I would definitely consider doing a DUMeter/Netmeter download test... a flat lined graph is what Ive sucessfully used many a time in the past to prove a stuck bRAS profile. - believe me Ive had more than my fair share of them.

>> The exchange is THCN Cranleigh which does purport to have a TT LLU presence. Time will tell.

What happens if you do a BTw performance test - it should give you some info about the product/profile.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btwperformancetest.htm
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 02:40:53 AM »

:hmm:  Hmm . . . It does seem as if Walter is uncertain to that line's status.  :-\

Is it a fully-LLU'd TalkTalk line? The quickest way to find out is to call 17070 --

If the usual menu is offered, the line is not fully-LLU'd.
If the announcement "This circuit is defined as 01xxxxxxxxx" is repeated in an infinite loop, the line is fully-LLu'd.  :)

jack21

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 05:43:37 AM »

Hiya Walter,

I had exactly the same problem with one of my 'clients' last Saturday. Router and line AOK, but thruput a tenth of what could be expected from the sync rate, and no indications of capping or low ISP or BT I/P Profiles - it had been so for 3 weeks. I phoned the ISP - Plusnet - and they thought they might ask BT to do a 'full' profile reset. By the next day, the throughput had leapt to the expected rate. I've asked Plusnet (via the ticket) to tell what was done to rectify the problem, but nothing back as yet.
Plusnet just never fail to help.

Regards,
Jack

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 07:49:47 AM »

Once again thank you everybody,

I am reasonably sure the line is LLUed as the 17070 test repeats just the number twice & then cuts off.
Also BT tests don't work.

( I didn't state so categorically in case wiser heads than mine were aware of other "features" ! )

More later as the plot unfolds.

Kind regards,
Walter

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 10:06:29 AM »

Sorry walter I was very tired last night...  and even though I'd copied the line..  I totally misread it as "doesnt purport to have a TT LLU presence".
Scrap all that info about max capped rate as that only applies to BTw based lines

*thinks I must need glasses*  :-[
-----

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 12:01:06 PM »

@ Kitz,

Perhaps I shouldn't use peculiar words !!!

Thanks very much anyway.

Kind regards,
Walter

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 02:16:36 PM »

Hello gentlefolk,

Just to complete the story:-

We finally found somebody who knew what was going on after the wasted free trip by the field engineer, but sadly he did not explain what was required.
Whilst investigating, I did my customary ring wire removal job, so that we now have 3.3 Mbps download speed instead of around the original 2 Mbps.

Although the ISPs will probably be quite unhappy to publish optimisation techniques, the fact remains in this area (and probably over the whole of the UK), there are an astonishing number of folk who are quite unaware of the potential of many DSL services. We need to blow Kitz's trumpet very loudly for her at every opportunity !

Kind regards,
Walter

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 11:10:42 PM »

So all is as well as can be expected for a TalkTalk service from the THCN exchange building?

I would has thought that if you had trundled your wheelbarrow into the property and parked it right where the incoming service cable was connected to the internal wiring, then disconnected all internal wiring and connected up your mobile test system directly to the end of the service cable, the basic line capabilities would have been readily disclosed.   

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 11:22:43 PM »

@ BKK,

Indeed that was done, but the modem sync speed illustrated was not reflected in the actual throughput obtained.
It was the need to get the TT engineer to observe himself what we had reported and that he then had sufficient power to get the senior engineer to force the DSLAM back into a co-operative mode.
We now have another moderately happy chappy out in the Surrey Jungle who could possibly, one-day perhaps in the Autumn, obtain a FTTC service if the omens are propitious.

Kind regards,
Walter

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 12:21:28 AM »

Excellent news!  :thumbs: