Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: AOL limiting my speed?  (Read 8513 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: AOL limiting my speed?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2007, 10:28:34 AM »

>> could navigate to this page only...  http://193.113.211.125/digitaldemo/

DNS is what converts human readable webpages into computer readable format.
For our browsers to be able to fetch a page it needs to be converted into the IP address and its the job of a DNS server to do the translation. eg www.kitz.co.uk to 195.62.28.175.

DNS is normally allocated by default by our routers and is set to use our ISP DNS Servers although they can be manually set to which ever ones you like.

However when you log onto say the BT domain - because its a restricted domain, your normal (ISP) DNS server cant be contacted to send back the conversion from human to computer readable format and why we have to use the IP address.

The fact that you couldn't navigate to that page using the web address but could using the IP address indicates that yes youre on IPStream and the only reason why you couldnt view the page previously was because your (AOL?) DNS server couldnt be contacted to fetch a result.

The above is a simplified version but hope it makes sense.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

MrsDaddyCoull

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2007, 10:43:22 AM »

thanks Kitz

i really appreciate you taking the time to explain things so i can understand  ;D

i have a one more day on my 10 day training period before i go to war with AOL lol

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2007, 02:31:41 PM »

Good luck  ;D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

MrsDaddyCoull

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2007, 10:51:28 PM »

I've kinda of noticed something else today...

when my ip profile was 5000 the best throughput speed i could get was about 3996 (1000 less than ip profile)

my ip profile dropped to 4500 on saturday, since then my best throughput speed has been about 3500 (again 1000 less than ip profile)

dunno if this means anything or why it might be.
AOL insist that my account is not capped in any way

I have been unable to do a bt performance test for last two days, it just keeps coming up with busy error, i asked someone else to try it and they came up with the same problem, so i dont know if my ip profile is still 4500 or not

Lis

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2007, 12:46:42 AM »

Its fairly normal for your throughput speed to be slightly less than your IP profile.. but I wouldnt expect it to be that much since the IP profile already makes an allowance for ATM and some other overheads.

With an IP profile of 7150 I have on occasions actually recorded 7.1Mbps several times.

When BTw adjust your IP profile, then the ISP is advised so that they can also apply any needed changes at their end too.

>> I have been unable to do a bt performance test for last two days, it just keeps coming up with busy error,

It does often seem to go through phases of this.  Best time to try is normally during the mornings.  Evenings its most likely to be busy.
-----
Pages: 1 [2]

anything