Author Topic: blah  (Read 12751 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
blah
« on: May 18, 2012, 05:45:27 PM »

I think my trusty ST585 (be box) is on its way out..  or rather the network switch on it seems to be dead and I cant connect to it via the LAN.
Had fun and games this morning trying to connect the PC via wireless..  because I needed to auth it on to the network first..  which wasnt too easy when I couldnt hook up via the LAN to authorise a new Wireless machine.  I finally got in to the router using my ipad..  but that was fun. :/

Can I find my power adapter for my Netgear DG834GT - can I heckers like..  I have a horrible feeling I lent it to someone a while back... and Im now sat amongst cables and useless routers scattered all over the place.  Guess Im going to have to get a new router :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: blah
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 05:51:05 PM »

Oh dear! Bummux . . .  :-X

Is there no chance that you could blag a modern day quality device, "for review purposes", from one of the reliable manufacturers?  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 06:08:48 PM »

And I thought Kitz a totally organised paragon of internet tidy-mindedness. ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 06:15:54 PM »

A new TG582n is winging its way to me.... or rather will be on Monday.
Thanks Be*

>>> And I thought Kitz a totally organised paragon of internet tidy-mindedness.

hahah not atm.. 
I have boxes of stuff pulled out everywhere trying to find the Netgear adapter...  but the more I think about it, Im pretty sure that I did lend it to someone a while back.     I used to have a lot of spare routers, but I seem to have been generous in the past and have 'lent' them to others with problems.   I do have a 2Wire..  but it doesnt perform well on this line..  in fact it cant even cope with my Annex M connection :(

I shall be sad to see my 585 go though.. it was rock steady and had some nice features via the CLI. :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 06:53:00 PM »

Is it the 585v6 that has broken?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 06:55:48 PM by arobertson545 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 07:07:34 PM »

Is it the 585v6 that has broken?

Yep :( :(
Running Firmware version 6.1.4.3
 :'(
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 07:57:05 PM »

*Rolling*

Zigs has a habit of sleeping on top of the PC which is usually against a wall.   
However because I'd pulled everything out to access & eliminate my NIC, Switch, and cables being borked..  its no longer against the wall..  and he's just fell off the top of the PC whilst in a deep sleep.   :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
hahaha poor thing slid down the side of the PC between the wall.. he looks so stunned.... so wish I'd been able to capture it on video  :D :D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 07:59:07 PM by kitz »
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 08:15:02 PM »

Zigs has a habit of sleeping on top of the PC . . .

Making efficient use of the heat it generates. Definitely a clever "kiteh-kat"!  ;)

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 09:03:46 AM »

The 582N is not a bad little modem. The wireless is a lot better and the DSL is a lot better than the older modems. Any issues let me know.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 04:23:01 PM »

The TG582N is actually pretty good. The WiFi is quite good and it is stable at low SNRM like the SpeedTouches were.

How is the TG582N Kitz?

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 03:33:24 PM »

Anything? Please?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 10:27:13 PM »

I think I recall Kitz saying that she would be out and about / otherwise engaged for a few days . . . thus not forum active.  :-\

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 10:50:18 PM »

I think I recall Kitz saying that she would be out and about / otherwise engaged for a few days . . . thus not forum active.  :-\

I see, sorry for sounding so desperate :).

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 10:55:32 PM »

I've just noticed that Kitz is now back home but she is very tired. I suspect an update will be forthcoming tomorrow, after a good night's sleep.  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 03:09:08 PM »

Although I was pleasantly surprised and the router arrived at Monday tea-time which is pretty good considering it was ordered at about 6.30pm on a Friday.

I'd not actually got around to setting it up since I since have had some PC problems and although the 585v6 LAN interface was broken, it still worked fine via wireless.

Anyhow I decided to plug it in and set it up today but its not yet in situ properly and cables are trailing dangerously and the router is perched in an inconvenient position.   This is more due to the fact that I have cabling concealed behind a custom desk and the current cable wont reach without me doing some re-routing of a cable for which I need someone else here to pass the other end through.  Its taken longer than it should to set up because my PC bombed during the configuration using chrome, so I had to wait before my PC would boot again, then for some reason I couldnt get in with chrome and had to use IE :(
Neither of the above are faults of the router, and its down to the fact I have a very poorly PC and am awaiting a new build... and the cable wont reach where I want it to go.

Anyhow general observations of the TG582N for the short time its been up:-

Line stats are very similar:-
 ~ Sync speed downstream in same range -  but just lost about 100kbps from my upstream 2,502 compared to 2,606
 ~ Attenuation now reported as 10.2 / 13.5 compared to the 585v6 of 9 /12.5
 ~ Stability seems good, but then again I have a short line and dont usually see any problems anyhow.
 ~ Errors - showing as 0 since I could never ever seem to find a way of clearing the cumulative upstream errors on the 585v6 despite researching this for numerous hours - some had come to the conclusion that it must be stored on the MSAN, but this may put paid to this.  I'll try plugging the 585v6 in later to see what happens.

DMT tool doesnt work :( :(
MRTG doesnt work (aside from showing the uptime) :( :(
hmmm  according to this "newer firmware versions on the BEBox do not have SNMP built in".  Damnit.. something to look further into :/

Routerstats 
Currently playing with this, but it doesnt seem to like http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?be=0&l0=2&l1=0

« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 03:59:31 PM by kitz »
-----
Pages: [1] 2 3