Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Any VDSL2 modem will work?  (Read 15799 times)

facsi

Any VDSL2 modem will work?
« on: May 18, 2012, 06:21:47 AM »

My ISP provides a vdsl2 modem/router but its firmware is too much crippled. I cannot set it to bridge mode. My ISP can change settings on it and even deactivate the wifi if they want. I want to keep them away from my settings and info. Can I buy any VDSL2 modem and use it? Im thinking in getting this huawei hg612.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 07:23:24 AM by facsi »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Any VDSL2 modem will work?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 05:47:04 PM »

In theory, yes.

However there is a question as to how you will obtain the correct settings from your current VDSL2 modem/router, as you say that your ISP has locked it down to deny any access to its settings.

It would certainly be of interest to various people if you would be willing to say who is your ISP, with which service do they supply you and, finally, which VDSL2 modem/router have they supplied to you.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

facsi

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 06:00:04 PM »

Hi burakkucat,
Well, its a brazilian ISP. They offer this triple play services. But I dont have the TV service. There are QoS settings on the router that are activated and I dont need them activated. They modem router is unique, made by sagem. Fast 2764. Someone ripped a config file from an old firmware. I dont know but i think that config settings are there.
Im assuming the settings you are telling me i need to config are VCI, VPI, am i correct?

Looking for modems i found that there are modems to use in house point to point network (seems to work like PLC network devices). Im kinda confused. They are these modems the same we use for internet connection?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 06:25:49 PM by facsi »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 07:39:45 PM »

Im assuming the settings you are telling me i need to config are VCI, VPI, am i correct?

Yes, exactly. One thing I can be absolutely sure about is that the default settings of a Huawei HG612 (for the UK's Openreach GEA product) will not be correct for services in Brazil.

Looking for modems i found that there are modems to use in house point to point network (seems to work like PLC network devices). Im kinda confused. They are these modems the same we use for internet connection?

I have read about such home networking devices but have not had any experience with them. They seem to have been / are used in the US and from what I understand, they are nothing like the typical ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+/VDSL2 modems used for Internet access. They appear to be like a form of a multiplexer which combines the Ethernet signal from a router with the analogue telephone (baseband) signal and makes use of the home's telephone wiring to send the Ethernet signal to every room with a telephone outlet (socket).

facsi

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 01:48:24 AM »

Isnt there a hack for this huawei? Hacking it could I access these VPI VCI settings?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 04:27:06 AM »

Isnt there a hack for this huawei? Hacking it could I access these VPI VCI settings?

Why yes, indeed. Once you have installed Asbokid's unlocked firmware image, the HG612 can be configured exactly as you wish.  :)

facsi

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 06:22:04 AM »

Thank you
One more thing: Its Annex A/B?

Now, where im going to buy this router? Cannot find on ebay...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 08:14:38 AM by facsi »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 09:59:50 PM »

As far as I am aware, it should be Annex A capable. I am fairly certain it is not able to support Annex B.

As for availability, there are currently two listed on eBay --

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150815521439
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270981271909

A week ago there were six available for auction . . .

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 10:11:05 PM »

As far as I am aware, it should be Annex A capable. I am fairly certain it is not able to support Annex B.

FWIW:-

# xdslcmd info --show
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason:   0
Max:   Upstream rate = 5454 Kbps, Downstream rate = 32912 Kbps
Path:   0, Upstream rate = 5454 Kbps, Downstream rate = 28438 Kbps

Link Power State:   L0
Mode:         VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile:      Profile 17a

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 10:24:04 PM »

b*cat is appropriately corrected!  ::)

facsi

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 11:00:42 PM »

huh... I think I need it to be Annex A. Another user here bought a HG622. He can connect, but he is saying that the router desyncs and reboots a lot. He thinks its happening because of the annex that is B and should be A.

Thanks.

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 07:14:20 PM »

I think, (but could be wrong & stand to be corrected) that Annex A is for broadband supplied via ATM (IE over POTS) and annex B is via ISDN (IE via ethernet). Annex C is Japan only  ;)

I don't think a modem designed for one annex can sucessfully connect to the other unless the software is designed to do both as the framing is different.
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI -- TalkTalk Broadband since 2006

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 07:47:59 PM »

Hello Rio. This is London!  Or as we say here in cosmopolitan Peckham,  Bonjourno!

There were swords being drawn over this debate on thinkbroadband.

VDSL2 G993.2 Annex A is for the 'Merkins, the Canucks (and.. maybe.. the good people of Ibero-America?)
VDSL2 G993.2 Annex B is for the Europods, including the Blightyites.

However it's not quite so clear-cut as that because there is a tie-over where some bandplans and power spectrum density (PSD) masks for VDSL2 Annex A and Annex B are the same.

For example, VDSL2 Annex B Plan B (aka Bandplan G.998) used by BT Openreach for its Profile 17a service is compatible with G993.2 Annex A for the Americas (an Annex with only one bandplan).

However, the BT Openreach Profile 8c service is different.  It uses G993.2 Annex B Plan A (aka Bandplan G.997) which is not compatible with, for example, the Profile 8a service from the North American telco Qwest.

See: ITU G.993.2 Recommendations (02/2006) - page 202 onwards.. [1]

cheers, a

P.S. Just to complicate things even further, the bandplans defined in the Annexes for ADSL[1|2|2+] are different to those for VDSL2.

[1] http://www.home.surewest.net/hyoung/T-REC-G.993.2-200602-I!!PDF-E.pdf

« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 08:01:16 PM by asbokid »

facsi

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 03:00:38 AM »

Very nice piece of information! :)

Yes, we use Annex A... I need to find a vdsl2 modem in usa.
Another user reported that he is using Zyxel P-870HN-51b nicely.

Thanks!

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 12:09:28 AM »

The chart below is useful for comparing spectral compatibility across the VDSL2 Band Plans and Annexes.  It comes from this document [1]

The British Telecom VDSL2 band plan is defined in the BT document SIN 498 [2].   The BT band plan is entitled Annex B Plan 998ADE17.  It also has the short name of B8-11.

The definitive document defining all band plans, from Annex A, B and C, is the ITU-T Recommendations G.993.2 on VDSL2 transceivers.  The latest revision of G.993.2 can be found here [3]

We can see from the documents above that all variants of Annex A for Profile 17a are spectrally compatible with the ADE17 variant of Plan 998 from Annex B used by BT Openreach to deliver its own Profile 17a service.

cheers, a

[1] http://download.rubytech.de/VDSL/VDSL2_VC-412/RubyTech%20VS-840S%20&%20VC412-VC-450%20combination%20table.pdf
[2] http://www1.btwebworld.com/sinet/sinlist1.htm
[3] http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-G.993.2/en