Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: SUCH SLOW SPEED what is wrong have stats on router  (Read 20590 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: SUCH SLOW SPEED what is wrong have stats on router
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 02:43:00 PM »

Thank you ian - that confirms the very weird stats.

@ naheed - bad news I'm afraid. :( 
59dB is indicative of a very long line. 
To put it into laymans terms, the longer the line the more the adsl signal decreases, hence why you cant get higher speeds.

59dB is indicative of a line length of 4.3km..  which fits fairly well with the road estimate of 4.18 km if you add a bit extra for wires 'going round the houses'.
On a good 59db line, we'd expect to see a sync of 'up to' around 2900 kbps based on a 6dB SNRM.

The jury is still out on whether your SNRM is set at 9 or 12dB.  The only way we can have an inkling of what your SNRM is, is by taking some stats immediately after a reboot.   But on average each additional 3dB of SNRM costs around 800 kbps of speed (it can actually be anything from 400-1200kbps).

So for example, if your SNRM is 9dB... then we'd expect your line to sync somewhere in the region of 2100 kbps.  Based on that information it would seem that your line is performing at about the best it can for now.
To try and eke a little bit more speed out, the best thing you can do now is try and stabilise that line and get the SNRM down to 6dB.

You've recently carried out the best way of doing this by removing the bell wire and connecting at the master socket. :) 

From the figures provided recently I dont see any signs of noise bursts which is good - You'd need to run something like routerstats over a longer period to confirm this.

If we can find out what your SNRM is, and after running routerstats for a while to confirm that the line is stable..  you may be able to approach your ISP and ask for them to reset your SNRM.   You'd need to say something like 'Ive recently removed the bell wire and the line is now much more stable blah blah blah.. can you reset the SNRM please'   Before doing that though it is important that we find out what your SNRM is.. and that the line is stable.  Hopefully that may push your speed up to nearer that 2900kbps mark. :fingers:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 08:15:32 PM »

@Kitz,

As the ISP in question is TalkTalk, it is very easy to request changes to one's line profile via the members' forum. Also I have a useful link to the range of adjustments that can be made.

I have been using TalkTalk as my CP for nearly five years and have found the members' forum OCEs (Online Community Executives) to be very helpful when I have requested line profile adjustments.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 08:31:45 PM »

I too am with Talk Talk and have the DSL-2780.  It seems a pretty sturdy and well-featured modem/router.

I'm fairly near the exchange, and get good speeds, but a couple of things I've done have given me slight but consistent improvements :

Does the RJ11 lead from the modem to the mircofilter/phone socket have 28AWG printed on it? It's very thin.  I had a spare lead that was a bit thicker (26AWG) and this improved my S/N margin by 2-3 db.

I know this might be contentious, but I found that replacing my BT faceplate with the ADSL Nation filtered one dropped my line attenuation by 0.2db and improved synch speeds.  I could get test-socket-only speeds from the master socket even with extensions reconnected.   Think it cost me about £10.

It's a fine line between every little helps and the cost of diminishing returns!

Ian

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2012, 08:51:32 PM »

@ B*cat.

Interesting link - thanks for sharing.. 
I notice further down the page it states the default profile is 24ISNR12, therefore if naheed requests 24ISNR6, he should see some speed gain.

However, I will add the caveat that we havent seen any long term monitoring and that long lines sometimes do need a higher SNR..  it may still be worth monitoring with routerstats to see just how stable the line is since the removal of the bell wire.  I'd hate for him to go down to 6dB and then suffer dropouts and re-syncs.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2012, 09:31:14 PM »

Can confirm that the default TT profile is 24ISNR12.  Note that any change between essentials and plus (either way) will cause a reset of the profile to the default one.  IE moving from plus, which is effectively unlimited download + some phone freebies, to essentials + 80GB boost (which is essentially unlimited & £5 cheaper) would cause a profile reset.  So if you were on 24FSNR6 (fastest profile) it would automatically move you back to 24ISNR12.

Profile is easily changed on the members forum (http://talktalkmembers.com) but you should expect to have to wait a couple of days for it to be actioned as the forum is not real-time support.  You could also request that DLM is turned off for your line.  This is not always advisable, but many members run GDTeam software on their netgear routers and have 'tweaked' SNRM, in some cases down to 0.1dB.  DLM takes a dim view of this and would constantly try to reset their line if it were active.  If you have a 'clean' line, in spite of the length of it, then you may like to consider a DGTeam compatible router and going down this road to gain some extra speed.

With regards to the quiet line test.  Just pick up your phone so as to have a dial tone and press '1'.  Listen.  It should be totally, and I do mean totally quiet. No click, hiss etc.  Its best to do this with a corded phone if you can.

ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI -- TalkTalk Broadband since 2006

naheed

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2012, 08:40:17 AM »

ADSL Mode    ADSL2+ 

Interleaving    On 

DSL Line Speed  up  468 kbps
  down  2755 kbps

Line Attenuation  up  37.8 
  down  58.0 

SN Margin  up  12.0 
  down  11.0 

Total Errors Seconds    265

as you can see the download speed has gone to 2.7mb, whenever i do ping tests i get an "A" and now seeing slight speeed increase i think i have hit the max speed that i can. I will have to wait for fibre optics when or if it becomes available here. Fibre should give me the speeds that i want, i cant believe birmingham isnt fully connected to fibre optics and only certain areas connected.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2012, 08:08:41 PM »

Looking at that snapshot of your statistics and without any prior sight of a few days of graphs, I would suggest that if you were to request (via the TalkTalk Members' Forum) a reset of your line profile to 8ISNR9, you might achieve an extra 500 kbps DS sync speed.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 07:32:54 AM »

Looking at that snapshot of your statistics and without any prior sight of a few days of graphs, I would suggest that if you were to request (via the TalkTalk Members' Forum) a reset of your line profile to 8ISNR9, you might achieve an extra 500 kbps DS sync speed.  :-\

b*cat is spot-on with that advice - a longer line will be slightly more stable on the lower-speed profile. Works on mine, I'm running 8ISNR6 with DLM turned off and snrm tweaked down to 2.5dB...gives me 73xx sync on a 50dB line ;)
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

naheed

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012, 09:52:28 AM »

Modem DSL(Sync) uptime    0:11:32 

ADSL Mode    ADSL2+ 

Interleaving    On 

DSL Line Speed  up  491 kbps
  down  2582 kbps

straight after reboot

Line Attenuation  up  38.0 
  down  60.0 

SN Margin  up  11.9 
  down  10.3 

Total Errors Seconds    0 

naheed

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2012, 10:02:16 AM »

Gunjack is you line as long as mine to the exchange, mine is 4.5km and if so how do i go about getting them settings done i cant log onto the talk talk members forum and have sent an email to them.

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2012, 11:20:21 PM »

My line's a bit shorter than yours, 50dB d/s attenuation. If you're an ex-tiscali customer (as I am) it's a case of filling in the contact forms and waiting for the forum admins to sort out your access...did mine on Monday and am currently waiting the response...

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2012, 12:13:29 AM »

...and as if by magic.... ;)   it's only taken 'till today to fill in the form, them to reply, and me to complete the reg process.... so get on with it ;) :)

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2012, 12:28:39 PM »

Def room for more on that connection looking at the SNRM. I would say his target is either set to 9 or 12db off course can't really tell. Can you not telnet into those routers and configure the line yourself like you can with the netgears????? If so i would get the instructions on how to do that and do it yourself that way there is no waiting around and you can have the line sitting the way you want it to.

Gary

naheed

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2012, 01:13:16 PM »

New Stats

DSL Line Speed  up  480 kbps
  down  2615 kbps

Line Attenuation  up  38.0 
  down  58.0 

SN Margin  up  11.4 
  down  10.9 

Total Errors Seconds    465 

ok managed to sign up to talktalkmembers forum what am i exactly asking for plz :) on the forum., also whatever changes they make will it make it so i dont change anything on my bill like calling boosts etc
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 01:34:41 PM by naheed »

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2012, 02:56:24 PM »

Hey,

Your asking them to do a "profile" change. And this will not have any impact on your bill at all. Your bill will remain the same.

Gary
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5