Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Bitswapping  (Read 36465 times)

kezzaman

• Reg Member
Re: Bitswapping
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2012, 03:08:54 PM »

I cant open or unzip that file
!   C:\Users\kezza\Downloads\Logins.zip: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2012, 03:14:11 PM »

It opens from the attachment for me.

Possibly something at your end?

I have attached it again though, just in case.

kezzaman

• Reg Member
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »

Yep its all working now  ;)

I wanted to ask you, should i be concerned that the LATN and SATN on the upstream arent equal because they r on the downstream?

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2012, 04:19:21 PM »

Yep its all working now  ;)

Phew!

So, to recap, you have a different username & password for accessing the modem's normal GUI where you can view/change the usual settings?

"admin" & "password" are still used for accessing stats directly via telnet or the scripts, except username & password are just ignored (not found) because you are using official Netgear firmware?

Let's see the evidence then, attached as a portrait montage (as an attachment, not a link) :)

I wanted to ask you, should i be concerned that the LATN and SATN on the upstream arent equal because they r on the downstream?

I'm not sure regarding ADSL. Mine aren't equal on my VDSL2 connection, but that happened very suddenly, so it might be a physical cable problem - I don't know yet.

Now you have done the easy bit, have you got the ongoing stats (modem_stats.log) being updated every minute?

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2012, 07:22:38 PM »

i was just about too say... if your router is from TALK TALK you will NOT have official Netgear firmware, however if your usernam and password was
admin
password
theres no reason it shouldnt work. also, if you edit the LOGIN files yourself SOMETIMES they dont work because they are formatted in special format (cant remember name of ASCII was it?) so they work, when you save them in windows notepad SOMETIMES they no longer work, sometimes they do... so if you edited LOGIN1 , LOGIN2 then theres a chance they wont work as the formatting is removed, I had this happen to me but second time I tried it they worked.. this is why the versions BA sent you work...cos they will have the proper formatting and reason your not getting bit loading is probably cos its Talk Talk firmware

you should install Netgear FW, I can supply links to the files - as its TT you may have to flash it from Windows XP with proper flah util, unsure though

anyway, your QLN graph looks alright too me, your line looks good...
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2012, 07:28:43 PM »

@ snadge,

You're with Sky aren't you?

Don't they have "special" username & passwords?

Do you use a different GUI username & password to the ones you use for the scripts (admin & password), or have you changed the ones used by the scripts to match the GUI username & password?

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2012, 07:33:59 PM »

if you edit the LOGIN files yourself SOMETIMES they dont work because they are formatted in special format (cant remember name of ASCII was it?) so they work, when you save them in windows notepad SOMETIMES they no longer work, sometimes they do... so if you edited LOGIN1 , LOGIN2 then theres a chance they wont work as the formatting is removed

Linux lines are terminated with a line feed (lf) or in linux terminology "\n"

Windows/DOS lines are terminated with carriage return & linefeed (CRLF) or in linux "\r\n"

Ditch notepad and use textpad instead, it can save in the required format thus preserving (or changing) the line endings.
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI -- TalkTalk Broadband since 2006

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2012, 07:40:16 PM »

Iam with sky and sky's default login for their routers is
admin
sky

I dont use that, also sky dont let you telnet the routers data either.

the ones on the script are default (which is what I use on my non-sky netgears)
admin
password

his troubles where because of what i explained, he had different login, but then editing the login1 & login2 files would have stopped them from working due to the formatting issue, all he had to do was change the login info in his router to:
name:admin
password:password
and would work - but as his router is from Talk Talk it will have a Talk Talk fw on it - I think anyway, ISP's normally have their own version of fw installed... ive not gotten a router yet that hasnt - oh except my first 834G from AOL
Tiscali
o2
Sky
all had their own firmwares

@ BlackEagle = cheers, is that what it was? following advice from someone else I had to use Notepad++ and convert them into something, cant remember, the posts on forum somewhere - I later re-saved them in notepad and they didnt work, but later I done it again and they did work? wierd...

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2012, 07:44:21 PM »

Ditch notepad and use textpad instead, it can save in the required format thus preserving (or changing) the line endings.

I'll second that sentiment.

I now use Textpad for most plain text file processing & found it really useful for developing the batch files, converting Linux stuff that looked like it was all on one line (when viewed with Windows Notepad) to a readable/saveable format, reading binary files, using line numbering, the cursor remembering which column it is in, search & replace etc. etc. etc.

Apart from the odd reminder to purchase, it is completely free & uncrippled.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 07:47:36 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

kezzaman

• Reg Member
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2012, 01:47:13 PM »

-------------

Edited to add.

Dont know enough about this..  and Im out of time now and have to go out.
but a thought just occurred..  no doubt someone will correct me if Im wrong, but from scanning the link, its possible that low level cross talk could be causing the bitswapping?

This all be moot anyhow.

Doesnt crosstalk only affect the higher frequencies?

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2012, 04:15:53 PM »

FEXT can happen at any frequency, its just the higher the frequency, the more susceptible it is to XT because the higher frequencies attenuate more and are therefore 'weaker'

kezzaman

• Reg Member
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2012, 04:21:50 PM »

FEXT can happen at any frequency, its just the higher the frequency, the more susceptible it is to XT because the higher frequencies attenuate more and are therefore 'weaker'

If it was FEXT crosstalk would that mean it was coming from inside or around my house?

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2012, 04:41:40 PM »

crosstalk happens in the cable between neighbouring pairs...so if it was XT then it would be in the run of cable somewhere on the line, FEXT is nearer the customers home NEXT is nearer the DSLAM/MSAN

kezzaman

• Reg Member
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2012, 07:43:57 PM »

Would the cabinet be classed as FEXT?

Just to clarify when FEXT does affect the lower frequencies would it have to affect the higher 1s to, or could it just leave the higher 1s untouched?

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2012, 03:53:20 PM »

the cabinet is just a patch point when its non-VDSL2 - however, if its VDSL2 then NEXT would be the cab and FEXT still the customers home, VDSL2 brings the DSLAM up into the cab

XT could happen at any frequency as far as Im aware, maybe someone else like BS knows more about it - but Interference could happen at any point in the spectrum.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

anything