Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: 12 days after 80/20 install - help please - possible line fault  (Read 54153 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: 12 days after 80/20 install - help please - possible line fault
« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2012, 08:50:19 PM »

Whoops .....  :lol: :lol: I'll go back to my grazing. ;D

And when you have finished doing that, check in the early GPO documents. There you will find usage of Tip, Ring and Sleeve relating to the three segments of the jack plug, as used at the operator's position of a manual switchboard.  :P  :oldman:

Granted, modern day usage of those descriptors tends to be American. 
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2012, 09:06:09 PM »

Just to clarify B*Cat, the 'twisting of knobs' (O-err missus) will not be done on a 301C Meter. It could have either been the old Ohmeter 18C, or the even older oscilloscope's we used to use ........ the latter pinpointing the smallest of an HR every time !!

As eliw stated that both of the engineer's thingies showed a big peak at about 65 metres, I discounted the idea of an Ohmmeter 18C (or 18B) although I must admit they do have nice knobs to twiddle. (As I have both devices in The Cattery, once I get around to it, I shall be sending the 18B to Walter -- so that he has a fully equipped Wheelbarrow. (Walter's Wheelbarrow has legendary status in Ewhurstshire -- it resolves the issues that the BT Group ignore.  :D  ))  I wonder if the engineer might have been using a Tester 301B . . . that's a chunky thing with whatsits to twiddle.  :-\

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #92 on: June 01, 2012, 03:30:08 AM »

what are the purposes of these:
The Mole, the Hawk

i found this video about the JDSU, good for someone like me who knows nothing about it :)
http://article.wn.com/view/2010/01/27/JDSU_Selected_by_BT_to_Provide_HST3000_Broadband_Access_Test/

the JDSU is just like a massive SKY+ remote hehe

@snadge -- With regards to the JDSU HST-3000c, you might like to watch the product tour for a good overview of the device.

@Black Sheep -- What SIM is normally fitted to the Openreach issued HST-3000c, please? The copper test SIM?

(Apologies to eliw for hijacking this thread, once again.  ;)  )
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 03:35:39 AM by burakkucat »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #93 on: June 01, 2012, 07:31:00 AM »

Apologies for my ignorance, B*Cat, what do you mean by SIM ?? Where do I find that info ??  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2012, 08:24:58 PM »

Apologies for my ignorance, B*Cat, what do you mean by SIM ?? Where do I find that info ??  :)

To quote from the JDS Uniphase HST-3000 Platform Overview Brochure --

. . . field-swappable service interface modules (SIMs) . . .

If you turn your HST-3000 over, you will see a screw in the upper segment of the back which (with a quarter of a turn) will allow the SIM to be removed. Above that turn-fastener there should be a label which identifies the SIM in words and with its part number. (Image attached, below.)

I have a number of documents, downloaded from the JDS Uniphase Corporation's website. If you are interested, please send me a PM with your e-mail address and they will be dispatched in a north-westerly direction. (That offer is also available to other forum members . . . )  :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #95 on: June 01, 2012, 08:50:03 PM »

Ah, I see. I have to admit, I didn't read your initial query correctly. For some reason, my brain omitted to see the "Copper test SIM".  ::) :-[

In answer to your question, it all depends on your role within BT. Openreach guys (who make up the vast majority of engineers) will have the copper SIM installed. The BT Operate guys actually have 3-4 different SIMS to use, dependant on their task. Most of them haven't a clue how the copper SIM works, and 99% of the time, request an 'assist' from us.

I too have a great 'User guide' for both the JDSU and EXFO. Extremely hard to come by as well, for some reason !!!  ???

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #96 on: June 01, 2012, 09:14:02 PM »

PM'd ya mate. :)

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #97 on: June 01, 2012, 09:21:01 PM »

me too..

@ BS
- who are BToperate and what do they do? i have googled it but sounds like they are same as Openreach?

p.s. my visit did not go down to well today , had a right attitude on him, the sky engineer called ahead of him to give me a 'heads up' that he may be problematic as he had just been arguing on phone with him - I will update my thread on the subject so im not spamming this one ;)
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #98 on: June 02, 2012, 12:54:13 PM »

They're just another branch of BT ........ certainly not Openreach though.

If theirs any faults with Exchange Equipment (Which includes FTTC cabs), they have ownership of this.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #99 on: June 02, 2012, 07:43:57 PM »

Just to clarify B*Cat, the 'twisting of knobs' (O-err missus) will not be done on a 301C Meter. It could have either been the old Ohmeter 18C, or the even older oscilloscope's we used to use ........ the latter pinpointing the smallest of an HR every time !!

@eliw -- Purely for interest (yet again!) but would you please take a look at the two attached images, below. Would one of those devices be what the engineer used, along with his Exfo?

eliw

« Reply #100 on: June 03, 2012, 02:30:09 AM »

Actually it looked more like your picture of the Tester 301C - but the one he had was grey with knobs below the digital screen

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #101 on: June 03, 2012, 02:43:28 AM »

Thank you for the description. It does sound as if it could have been one of the "o'silly-scopes".  :-\

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #102 on: June 03, 2012, 08:48:48 AM »

Aaaah, the Ohm18B ......... I love you. ;D

I'm not sure I could remember how to use the meter, if asked to ??  :-[

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #103 on: June 03, 2012, 11:37:59 PM »

BToperate, BTopenreach, Exchange Engineers (MPF ISP's and BTo's), Line Engineers, Broadband Engineers, ISPs -> no wonder it can so bloody difficult to get a fault repaired lol
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2012, 08:58:43 AM »

Ha ha .... it can seem like a crazy mess. At the minute, Exchange Engineers belong to BT Openreach, however thay are to move to BT Operate in the very near future.

Openreach engineer skilling is rather more frustrating.

Frames: The most very basic of the skill-sets. The job entails 'Running jumper wire' between pre-determined points on the Main Distribution Frame (MDF). An incredibly easy job to learn.

CAL/OMI  (Customer Apparatus & Line .... One Man Installer):  They sort of work from the DP to the premises. If there's a faulty E/D side, they will do a change of pair, rather than 'Fault to fix' ..... ie-find the actual cause.

UG (Underground): As it says on the tin ....... these guys only work on UG plant. Far more complicated than the CAL/OMI skill.

Hot-site engineer: Accredited to work in and around HV plant, ie- Electricity Generating Stations, Wind farms etc. The safety aspect is severe, whereby the Local Earth (At the premises) and the Remote Earth (At the Exchange) could have a potential difference of a few thousand volts.

Multi-skilled engineer: Has the minmum of Frame, CAL/OMI and UG skills.

Broadband engineer: Not a stand-alone skill. The original protocol was that only Multi-skilled engineers would be asked to become Broadband trained. However, there are as many CAL/OMI engineers trained up as well.

** My main gripe is that as an engineer with all the above skills, I still get the same remuneration as a 'Frames only' engineer ??? Absolute madness **

There are other skills that don't get a mention as they are not customer facing, such as the Second Stage Repair (SSR) lads, who tend to do the bigger cable change-overs. Then there's the 'Pressure' engineers, who are responsible for maintaining the E-side network is correctly pressurised. There's also the Cable Gangs, Survey Officers and Planners.

At the top of the food chain (IMO) are the Precision Test Officers (PTO's). These guys are who we call in when we are stumped. Doesn't happen often, but it's good to know they are there if needed. Mainly utilised on REIN jobs that can't be remedied locally.

They main issue we tend to find is that the task we recieve has been sent to the wrong engineer, or has been built incorrectly. By that, I mean the remote test result which is carried out every time an EU reports a fault, could show a 'Dis' at lets say, 94% of the entire cable length. this obviously means the fault is at the far-end near to the EU's premises. Now, if not actioned properly, this can sometimes go to a Frames Engineer who has to then 'Further' the task etc etc.

The same test result could see the job being built for a CAL/OMI engineer, and the EU's premises could be a UG estate. Again resulting in the engineer having to 'Further' his task.

The key is to give as much information as possible and hope and prey the ISP's front-desk is manned by someone with an ounce of common-sense. Having said that, they have systems that 'suggest' where the fault should be sent and which skill should be applied to it.

The most common reason for 'Furthers' is the EU reporting a noisy line which remotely tests OK, and a CAL/OMI engineer being despatched. Upon arrival the EU states its actually the Broadband that is suffering, not the phone. This results in a TRC (Time Related Charge) being raised, the engineer has to complete his task due to it being raised as a telephony fault, and the EU has to start the merry-go-round that is raising a Broadband fault.

It's a far from ideal situation, and I have every sympathy for the EU's. Believe me when I say they are sometimes very irate by the time I end up knocking on their door. Only had one who started to turn violent though.  ::)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10