Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: 12 days after 80/20 install - help please - possible line fault  (Read 53920 times)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
Re: 12 days after 80/20 install - help please - possible line fault
« Reply #105 on: June 04, 2012, 09:05:28 AM »

Sorry for another hijack!!!! BlackSheep, are some OpenReach Broadband (?) engineers trained on routers like the BT Home Hub? Because, I had an engineer who visited me who recommended a replacement Home Hub, if he wasn't trained on it, I presume he wouldn't have cared?

Hijack over.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #106 on: June 04, 2012, 09:12:58 AM »

It's a far from ideal situation, and I have every sympathy for the EU's. Believe me when I say they are sometimes very irate by the time I end up knocking on their door. Only had one who started to turn violent though.  ::)

Ah. That would have been my son, Hairy_Eagle1.

It runs in the family you know  :angel:

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #107 on: June 04, 2012, 10:01:06 AM »

:lol: :lol: :lol: BE. Made me chuckle.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #108 on: June 04, 2012, 10:09:28 AM »

Sorry for another hijack!!!! BlackSheep, are some OpenReach Broadband (?) engineers trained on routers like the BT Home Hub? Because, I had an engineer who visited me who recommended a replacement Home Hub, if he wasn't trained on it, I presume he wouldn't have cared?

Hijack over.

Hmm, we're not specifically 'Trained' on the Home Hub, or any router for that matter. There was a BT run course, (that got scrapped in it's infancy), that I did attend which went into detail mainly around the BT 2-wire router. It was designed to show the different levels of access that can be achieved and so on. I ended up getting a piece of software called a 'Hub Migration Tool', that basically scrapes the settings from the old router, then re-applies it to the new router.

Apart from that, there's really not much we need to know about the EU's kit. Our remit is to prove the MPF (wiring from Exchange to premises) is fault free and capable of carrying Broadband. One of the higher-level repair products on offer, is a 'Boost' engineering visit. This simply allows us to change a Hub/Router if its blindingly obvious the original is faulty.

I'm not 100% sure what or why the engineer would suggest this ?? Was he a BB trained engineer ?? Did you ask him for his thoughts about the Hub ?? Was he visiting on a BB  fault or just a Network fault ?? 

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #109 on: June 04, 2012, 02:46:53 PM »

hey BS - mucho thanko for the big description of the BT Staff.. I have bookmarked it into my ADSL bookmark folder hehe  - which I have running via Xmarks so is available on any browser I use at any internet connected PC...safe & secure backup!! ;)

thanks for that, always willing to learn.. this time next year I will be able to present my skill set to BTo in hope they sign me up as a 'real' broadband engineer HA HA HA... I WIIISHH!!!

so because your classed as a FRAMES ENGINEER but do the work of other skill sets - does this mean your pay also suffers in similar manner to your job title? ...hope not!!
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #110 on: June 04, 2012, 03:29:43 PM »

Hijack over.

Hmm, we're not specifically 'Trained' on the Home Hub, or any router for that matter. There was a BT run course, (that got scrapped in it's infancy), that I did attend which went into detail mainly around the BT 2-wire router. It was designed to show the different levels of access that can be achieved and so on. I ended up getting a piece of software called a 'Hub Migration Tool', that basically scrapes the settings from the old router, then re-applies it to the new router.

Apart from that, there's really not much we need to know about the EU's kit. Our remit is to prove the MPF (wiring from Exchange to premises) is fault free and capable of carrying Broadband. One of the higher-level repair products on offer, is a 'Boost' engineering visit. This simply allows us to change a Hub/Router if its blindingly obvious the original is faulty.

I'm not 100% sure what or why the engineer would suggest this ?? Was he a BB trained engineer ?? Did you ask him for his thoughts about the Hub ?? Was he visiting on a BB  fault or just a Network fault ?? 

He was visting on a broadband fault and when I showed him the SNRM margin of 18dB, he said the Home Hub was faulty because it was impossible to have a margin that high. Now I know it is!!! It was a few years ago though.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #111 on: June 04, 2012, 07:58:02 PM »

arobertson .... you have been visited by one of our, 'Haven't got a clue what I'm doing' engineers. They are exalted by our upper echelon, because they 'clear' 5-8 jobs daily. In reality, they do sweet FA, and eventually a 'real' engineer will pick up the pieces.

It's just a case of awaiting a proper engineer to adorn your premises.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #112 on: June 05, 2012, 08:45:35 AM »

arobertson .... you have been visited by one of our, 'Haven't got a clue what I'm doing' engineers. They are exalted by our upper echelon, because they 'clear' 5-8 jobs daily. In reality, they do sweet FA, and eventually a 'real' engineer will pick up the pieces.

I don't have the issue anymore. In my experience, it is usually the "older" (e.g. 40+) engineers who seem to actually care.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #113 on: June 05, 2012, 08:57:16 AM »

I don't have the issue anymore. In my experience, it is usually the "older" (e.g. 40+) engineers who seem to actually care.

Being in that bracket, I feel obliged to agree. ;) ;D ;D

TBH, there are some really good 'up & coming' engineers. It's as I always state, there's them that can, and them that can't in all industries. Them that can't seem to blossom in a company like ours. ???

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #114 on: June 05, 2012, 09:03:15 AM »

Being in that bracket, I feel obliged to agree. ;) ;D ;D

TBH, there are some really good 'up & coming' engineers. It's as I always state, there's them that can, and them that can't in all industries. Them that can't seem to blossom in a company like ours. ???

:) . For example, I had an "older" (40-50 I would guess) engineer come to my house a couple of years ago. He could have just checked the master socket and left, but he took the trouble to look at the extension wiring to make sure it was working and that is wasn't affecting my broadband. I didn't even get charged.

I remember him telling me about the old speed tester he was using; it was a device that had a needle on it that basically showed what speed I was getting at the time. He said that often the newer engineers just bring ToughBooks, etc and they don't always give you the full picture. The engineers also don't have the experience.

Do you have any experience of the device?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 09:05:22 AM by arobertson545 »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #115 on: June 05, 2012, 09:11:00 AM »

Wow ..... I think that was the simple tester that was supposed to be kept in the Exchange. It's name escapes me at the minute ??

If it is the device I'm thinking about, it was brought into being so that the Exchange Frames guys could verify if their was active DSL leaving the Exchange on the Bar/Pair fuses. It really was only a very simple indicative tool, nothing like the what the JDSU/EXFO testers of today are like. Plus we have access to WHOOSH for BT BB faulting, which gives such a wide spectrum of metrics, it's untrue !!!!!!!!

As with all things technical, development tends to progress quite rapidly. :)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #116 on: June 05, 2012, 09:13:11 AM »

Wow ..... I think that was the simple tester that was supposed to be kept in the Exchange. It's name escapes me at the minute ??

If it is the device I'm thinking about, it was brought into being so that the Exchange Frames guys could verify if their was active DSL leaving the Exchange on the Bar/Pair fuses. It really was only a very simple indicative tool, nothing like the what the JDSU/EXFO testers of today are like. Plus we have access to WHOOSH for BT BB faulting, which gives such a wide spectrum of metrics, it's untrue !!!!!!!!

As with all things technical, development tends to progress quite rapidly. :)

Was it yellow?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #117 on: June 05, 2012, 09:25:07 AM »

No, it's a grey'ish colour.

I'm beginning to think you're describing the Meter SA9083. This is a 'Moving coil' meter, thus incorporating a 'needle' that moves across the scale.

This however, can not tell anyone the broadband speed of a circuit ............. ever !!

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #118 on: June 05, 2012, 09:27:09 AM »

Did it look like this ?? Best picture I can find atm.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #119 on: June 05, 2012, 09:47:48 AM »

On the right hand of the scale, it definitely had "8M".
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

anything