Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: bricked my new Netgear DG834N with first upgrade to DGteam 1022...help!!  (Read 26504 times)

snadge

• Kitizen

I just bought myself a a Netgear DG834N from ebay... been wanting one for years, it arrived on stock firmware although the previous owner said he had it on a DGteam firmware...which one I dont know, Iam waiting on replies...

so it worked...then using the web gui and LAN cable I upgraded to DGteam 1022 which is latest for 834N, after it finished the i internet light stays immediatley orange and trying to connect to router via LAN does not work

Iam about to install XP on laptop to try and unbrick it... i bet i cant though...

iam sick as a dog...nothing goes right for me :(

anyone got any advice?
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

Blackeagle

• Reg Member

If the Netgear flash utility (forget what its called  :-[) can see the router connected, you should be able to recover it.  FWIW, I always flashed using it, rather than the web interface.  I also only used XP to flash with, after bricking an ex sky 834GT by using Vista  >:D

I binned that, but found out later it was probably recoverable.  Lots of info in the sky forum actually, which may be of interest to you.
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI -- TalkTalk Broadband since 2006

snadge

• Kitizen

IVE GOT XP SP3 INSTALLED

ive got the led flashign red/green

ive ran RmDrv.exe

and upgradewizard as per instructions but it just hangs on 0% :(

the LAN says its connected at 100Mbps? an LAN light 1 is lit

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire

IVE GOT XP SP3 INSTALLED

ive got the led flashign red/green

ive ran RmDrv.exe

and upgradewizard as per instructions but it just hangs on 0% :(

the LAN says its connected at 100Mbps? an LAN light 1 is lit

can't say i know anything about that router.. but it sounds like a network stack is running on it, if only in the bootloader.   It's a Broadcom 6358, isn't it?   Do you still have the firmware image you downloaded to the router?  If it only contains a kernel and rootfs (but no bootloader) that's usually more promising.   What does the flashing LED signify? What does the manual tell you about the LED flashing orange then green?  Maybe use wireshark to port scan to discover any network services.   Are the JTAG pins documented?  Or maybe it has UART to gain a shell at the bootloader, to see what's gone wrong?  It's not physically broken, so it can be recovered for sure.  good luck!

cheers, a

snadge

• Kitizen

asbokid - you are speaking in another language mate hehehe - when it turns on the i light is orange straight away and does not flash or anything, according to DGteam when you hold in the reset button and power up it flashes red/green and it says that means its in IDLE mode ready for updating , Iam trying the LINUX version but its gunna be a pain to do cos im unfamiliar with it, puppy USB linux or something I have to setup on USB then install/run the linux flashing utility.

in windows the LAN says connected 100Mb "limited or no connectivity" and it has an ip address 169.254.56.97 i dont think thats its local IP so I dont think its able to connect to the router

ive read the windows flasher is picky on what version of OS and hardware it runs on... XP with no SP is best bet

aye its a BCM 6358

this is the firmware i installed on it
http://www.mediafire.com/?0av7pk3oa4ef411

I know there are pins for using a cable to flash the bootloader or something, but i cant solder etc

i will google wireshark and see what thats about... 

edit: used wireshark to capture packets and nothing is being transmitted etc , how do i port scan in wireshark?

EDIT2: the unix instructions are beyond me, they tell you them as if you know what your already doing in Linux

From a console terminal, cd to nftp directory then execute as superuser: ./nftp -u ethnum firmware.img where ethnum is the ethernet device (usually eth0) and firmware.img is the img firmware file name (read & follow the usage help printed if needed).

how do I
CD to NFTP directory?
execute as superuser?

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 10:35:05 PM by snadge »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats

As far as I know, the most reliable utility for flashing Netgear routers is nftp. In the past I compiled this for Linux and found that it worked where the Netgear recovery utility failed. Before you go breaking into your router you might like to try this first.
  Eric

snadge

• Kitizen

As far as I know, the most reliable utility for flashing Netgear routers is nftp. In the past I compiled this for Linux and found that it worked where the Netgear recovery utility failed. Before you go breaking into your router you might like to try this first.

thanks roseway, it appears windows flash is rubbish and unreliable - i have used it successfully before on XPSP2 with my Netgear GT ,  I have tried to load same SP2 disc on but it now wont read..the drive in laptop is iffy...also it was a different laptop I used with different LAN card

I dont know how to use the linux one... i have a Ubuntu live CD and the Linux flashing software but once in ubuntu I wouldnt know what to do..can you help?, I can load ubunutu now onto the laptop whilst using the PC to get instructions

thanks in advance

P.S. what is the MBR Tool that you can use in windows that lets you make changes to the bootloader so you can set Windows XP and 7 on dual boot? at moment only XP loads, I need to set it so i can choose and set a default but I cant remember the name of the program I used to use to do this

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire

Hi Snadge..
asbokid - you are speaking in another language mate hehehe - when it turns on the i light is orange straight away and does not flash or anything, according to DGteam when you hold in the reset button and power up it flashes red/green and it says that means its in IDLE mode ready for updating,
Ahh.. so that sounds good..  In other words, there is a network stack running on the router.

Iam trying the LINUX version but its gunna be a pain to do cos im unfamiliar with it, puppy USB linux or something I have to setup on USB then install/run the linux flashing utility.
Ubuntu has a live CD that's pretty much a burn and boot exercise.. It's a bit easier than writing a bootable image to a USB stick. That in itself seems to be problematic from Windows.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see you already have Ubuntu.. If you're not comfortable with Linux, Eric's advice sounds very good to use the nftp client which is pre-built for Windows.

in windows the LAN says connected 100Mb "limited or no connectivity" and it has an ip address 169.254.56.97 i dont think thats its local IP so I dont think its able to connect to the router
Hmm... Not sure anything reported by Windows can be trusted!

ive read the windows flasher is picky on what version of OS and hardware it runs on... XP with no SP is best bet

aye its a BCM 6358

this is the firmware i installed on it
http://www.mediafire.com/?0av7pk3oa4ef411

I can't seem to download the image from there.  Is it available elsewhere?

I know there are pins for using a cable to flash the bootloader or something, but i cant solder etc

i will google wireshark and see what thats about... 

edit: used wireshark to capture packets and nothing is being transmitted etc , how do i port scan in wireshark?

Sorry I didn't mean wireshark at all.. i meant nmap   :-[

http://nmap.org/

EDIT2: the unix instructions are beyond me, they tell you them as if you know what your already doing in Linux

From a console terminal, cd to nftp directory then execute as superuser: ./nftp -u ethnum firmware.img where ethnum is the ethernet device (usually eth0) and firmware.img is the img firmware file name (read & follow the usage help printed if needed).

how do I
CD to NFTP directory?
execute as superuser?

The nftp directory is presumably in that zip with the DGTeam firmware image?  Remember that Linux/Unix is very case-sensitive... Windows doesn't care if you type NFTP or nftp,  but Linux does..

cd just means 'change directory'  (same instruction as in Windows).

so the command 'cd nftp'  means change to the directory named nftp

running something as superuser is the Linux equivalent to running it as an Administrator.

You have two options to do this.  You can either log in as the superuser, using the username 'root' and the given password.
Or you can run the program using the 'sudo' tool. 
So in this case, after changing to the nftp directory, you would type 'sudo ./nftp -u ethnum firmware.img'

it will soon be recovered. don't panic captain mainwaring!

cheers, a
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 11:54:13 PM by asbokid »

snadge

• Kitizen

haha , first smile on my face all nite :) (Captain Mainwaring) - honestly im gutted cos I love the router, it was syncing a little higher than my netgear GT and pings over wifi to the router were a bit quicker and wifi range was great...then I go and brick it :( , after searching it seems that all firmwares 0848 and onwards had problems with the 834N

I thought Erics tool was for linux? its same tool i think

ok, so my best odds are to use Ubuntu Live CD Ive got..

I have NFTP on a usb stick and the firmware both in same folder...is this correct? (oh and im putting netgear firmware back on, if it works i may retry with DGteam ...or not..)

now Iam totally Linux noob...so be nice... :) - I will load it onto laptop, login as superuser, open a terminal, type cd nftp and then nftp -u ethnum DG834N_V1.02.15.img into terminal?  exactly like that? is ethnum supopsed to be eth0..?

i will start loading ubuntu now

snadge

• Kitizen

HA HA HA

ive got it flashing in XP.. I installed a LAN driver package for the LAN this time (before I downloaded the INF/SYS files from atheros and manually installed it) - now its flashing as we speak

will let you know if been a success...

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire

HA HA HA

ive got it flashing in XP.. I installed a LAN driver package for the LAN this time (before I downloaded the INF/SYS files from atheros and manually installed it) - now its flashing as we speak

will let you know if been a success...

wayhay! it did seem heavy work to flash it from Linux when Windows is there waiting (it has to be good for something!)  ::)

crossed fingers. 
a

snadge

• Kitizen

SUCCESS!!!!

funny thing, its remember my old settings... is this normal? are they written to a different chip and applied to new firmware when loaded?

i noticed in pas on my GT when I used to do it via WUI it would do same thing but I thought that was cos it was WUI method and this method would completely wipe it clean?

think its safe to try DGteam firmwares now with this?

i just want to say massive thanks to you all, especially ou ASBOKID as your a brilliant source of help and a credit to the forum!!! you sussed the radio noise on my line too... P.S. an engineer on a radio/engineer forum said my broadband symptoms a classic for an improperley installed DSLAM/MSAN and the MSAN is partially grounded somewhere causing an unbalanced line??? i told sky rep about it lol  he more or less said the Network Team are scratching their heads,,,, also, i have another house to go to not far from here who SHOULD be on SVBN as they signed up December...should be interesting findings...anyway...thats all for another topic

YIPPEE!!!!!   :P ::) ;)

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!!!  VERY HAPPY MAN AGAIN...  IM SURE IF I DIDNT GET XP WORKING ON IT THAT LINUX WOULD HAVE TOOK CARE OF IT...  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

It seems I've missed all the fun!  ;)

I'm tempted to say: "Now no more fiddling, Snadge.:P

If you couldn't fix it, using either Windoze or Linux, I'm sure that Asbokid would have volunteered to use his Magic Wand, as a last resort. You would have needed to ship it westwards, to Welsh Wales, though.  :D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

snadge

• Kitizen

haha I know.... I still might though, now I can UNBRICK it...

it would have cost as much as I paid for it too send it too Asbokid and back lol... i paid £10 for it including delivery and it got sent next day special delivery

iam now stuck trying to use easybcd to create a dualboot MBR with xp / Win7 - ive restored the win7 mbr and when i add xp it says i need to download NTDETECT.COM and NTLDR and must put them in root of win7 partition do i?

cheers

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire

Good stuff!  Glad you got it sorted.  £10! What a bargain!  Would have been very willing to have a bash, if you had gotten stuck. There were some USB Blaster JTAG programmers on ebay for £3.99 delivered.  all sold out at the moment.. another missed bargain (as usual) hmm!  :-[

That AM broadcast radio interference on your line is profound. I've not seen anything like it before.  Maybe it's just an unfortunate lie of the land?  If you could get the QLN data from your neighbours' lines - especially those neighbours still on an BTw service, that would be insightful.

cheers, a
Pages: [1] 2 3 4