Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Static IP Address and Virgin Media  (Read 16844 times)

Golfer

• This is how I THINK I look
Static IP Address and Virgin Media
« on: May 06, 2012, 07:01:44 AM »

Hi All - this is a new post as a run-on from my query on DNS servers.  I'm running Linux Mint 12; VM cable broadband

If you have followed that post (and thanks if you contributed) you'll see that I've been jumping through hoops trying to change DNS addresses in VM's Superhub.  VM 'lock in' their own dns server addresses and because of other issues configuring Mint I couldn't use my DNS servers of choice, in this instance OpenDNS.  Eventually, I managed it by changing the hub from dynamic to static ip and entering the addresses there. 

My queries are:-  Are there any issues I should be aware of by using static ip?  Is it any more or less secure?  Do you know if VM levy a charge for using static ip?  I've tried searching the net, including VM's forum but info is scant and vague at best.

Advice gratefully received, as always

Rich
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
Run like **************!
AH 1945

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Static IP Address and Virgin Media
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 10:58:27 AM »

I could be wrong, but I dont think VM do static IP's on any of their residential accounts. 
They do tend to use 'sticky' IPs though and as long as you dont leave the router off for a long period you usually pick the same IP up again after a router reboot.

Re security issues of a static IP, I personally like a static IP and had one for >9 years. They arent any less secure than a dynamic IP.  (Unless you do stupid stuff on the interwebz and leave a trail of your IP where people can see it).
Something I wrote a loooooong time ago Static - v- Dynamic IP
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Golfer

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 09:12:57 PM »

I could be wrong, but I dont think VM do static IP's on any of their residential accounts. 
They do tend to use 'sticky' IPs though and as long as you dont leave the router off for a long period you usually pick the same IP up again after a router reboot.

Re security issues of a static IP, I personally like a static IP and had one for >9 years. They arent any less secure than a dynamic IP.  (Unless you do stupid stuff on the interwebz and leave a trail of your IP where people can see it).
Something I wrote a loooooong time ago Static - v- Dynamic IP

Hi Kitz and thanks for the reply!

The issue with VM Superhub is they lock you into their own DNS servers and there is no way under dynamic settings to change it.  Various posters on here have been very helpful in trying to guide me through Linux settings to get my own DNS settings to 'stick' - in this case OpenDNS - but without success.  After many failed attempts at setting up a static ip I eventually managed it and now route through OpenDNS.  My concern is whether VM will charge for this as it's also my understanding that static ip's are for businesses only?  (But if that is the case, why have a configurable setting on the router in the first place?)

Yes, during my research I had seen, and read, your guide on static v dynamic - very informative and reassuring!

Rich

Run like **************!
AH 1945

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 09:42:24 PM »

Are you sure your static IP is on the WAN side of your connection ?? 

If you can set the hub to a static WAN address (ie, it ignores the DHCP supplied address from Virgin), then

a) I'm suprised you can do this
b) Its not a service Virgin are supplying you so I don't think they can charge you for it !!
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI -- TalkTalk Broadband since 2006

Golfer

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 10:07:31 AM »

Are you sure your static IP is on the WAN side of your connection ??    According to the settings box, yes.  (I've taken a screenshot of it but I'm not sure if I've uploaded it correctly)

If you can set the hub to a static WAN address (ie, it ignores the DHCP supplied address from Virgin), then

a) I'm suprised you can do this    So was I - but see below!
b) Its not a service Virgin are supplying you so I don't think they can charge you for it !!   I wouldn't be surprised by anything.....

The connection held for a few hours then dropped late last night.  I thought it may have been a service issue (we had an outage around here a few days ago) but it was still the same this morning.  Reverting to dynamic ip in the router has restored service so your guess is correct!  It looks like my pleasure is short-lived and I'm back to square one, so perhaps I will have to do a re-install of Mint after all.   :(
Run like **************!
AH 1945

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 05:43:40 PM »

I don't fully understand internet settings very much but my two-pennyworth is this.

I have been with VM cable for about 10 years and in which time my IP has only changed about 3 or possibly 4 times, I also turn off my router sometimes for days on end and also for 2 weeks a couple of times a year when I go away on holiday and it has never effected my IP address.
Although it has just changed again as I have also just upgraded to a SuperHub WiFi Modem Router.
(But that is to be expected)

As for a static IP address, then surely the IP of 192.168.0.1 from your PC equipment to your router is all that is required.
From there you can then open up alternative address such as 192.160.1.112 etc.

Although I know a couple of CCTV sites that require a static address or else we lose the connection to the cameras/multiplexor.

Golfer

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 02:17:22 PM »

I don't fully understand internet settings very much but my two-pennyworth is this.

I have been with VM cable for about 10 years and in which time my IP has only changed about 3 or possibly 4 times, I also turn off my router sometimes for days on end and also for 2 weeks a couple of times a year when I go away on holiday and it has never effected my IP address.
Although it has just changed again as I have also just upgraded to a SuperHub WiFi Modem Router.
(But that is to be expected)

As for a static IP address, then surely the IP of 192.168.0.1 from your PC equipment to your router is all that is required.
From there you can then open up alternative address such as 192.160.1.112 etc.

Although I know a couple of CCTV sites that require a static address or else we lose the connection to the cameras/multiplexor.

The issue isn't about static or dynamic ip's per se, it's about changing DNS addresses in VM Superhub. (see 1st post)  Under dynamic the DNS servers provided are VM's own and are 'locked in', therefore unchangeable.  If I change to static ip, I can choose whatever DNS addresses I want but the settings won't last long before denial of service.

Setting DNS servers in Linux Mint 12, which I'm told should override those in the router, don't, and are refreshed on every boot/disconnect back to those of the router!

All I want is to use the DNS servers I want and not those I'm forced to 
Run like **************!
AH 1945

anything