Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Starting from scratch  (Read 4270 times)

Excelsior

• Star Fleet X Bomber homepage
Starting from scratch
« on: May 28, 2012, 02:06:28 PM »

Some input please, if you feel so inclined.  We may possibly be moving to a new property.  This is particularly exciting because the new property in question is new.  Ahem.  As in, it currently has no doors or windows.  Or wiring.  However, wiring is due fairly shortly.  In light of my recent adventures with downlighters and extension cables and the like, I would very much appreciate some input on what sort of networking it would be best to go for.

I was thinking that typically a set top box, even Blu Ray players, need an internet connection.  I would therefore be thinking in terms of putting the wireless modem near the main TV, which such devices could then plug into.  But thinking down the line, there might well be something to be said for having a network point upstairs, if only to do some sort of wi-fi signal boosting or similar.

How might I best achieve that?  Do I need to run a modem Ethernet cable to some sort of hub from the modem, to distribute the network with CAT cabling in the house so that the one modem's network could be used in a hard-wired style at various points?  I have never even contemplated what might be involved in this sort of set-up, but as virtually everything seems to need a network connection these days it seems sensible to be planning ahead.  I was also thinking the TV might need a connection and it might be useful to have some sort of storage box on the network that could lurk upstairs out of the way...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 02:09:59 PM by Excelsior »

Excelsior

Re: Starting from scratch
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 02:33:31 PM »

I should also have mentioned that odds are this'll be an Infinity style connection, not cable, but could be ADSL.  Presumably that won't make much odds in terms of internal wiring...

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »

Hello Dave,

Congratulations on your new home.  ;D

Presumably with the doors or windows still to be fitted, it hasn't been plastered internally?  If so, it's ideal, you have a blank drawing board for modern networkification.

Before it is plastered up, run some cat6 behind steel channels [1] down the walls into each of the rooms where you want networking. 

Feed those cable runs back to a central point where a (powered) gigE switch can be discreetly housed - under the stairs, perhaps?

Ethernet cabling costs very little so it's worth running more cable than necessary. That means extra cable runs to the region of the idiot box, in readiness for new networked audio-visual appliances  ;)

In each room, terminate the cable drops into RJ45 faceplates next to existing wall sockets.  The modular outlets look the tidiest. [2]

If the place isn't plastered / plasterboarded yet, this is a job for a competent DIY jobber.

The trickier bits to the job are perhaps cutting back box apertures into dry-walling or plasterboard, but that's presumably for the professional plasterer to do.

Also, getting the channelling to tack to (brittle) breeze blocks can sometimes be difficult. The plasterers get really miffed if they have to stop mid-job to refix channelling that's come loose. There's only 30 minutes working time with a gypsum plaster mix, so little time for messing around  ;)  It is easier (imvho) to sink some wall plugs into the breeze blocks and hold the channelling down using screws.

Doing it DIY,  the whole house should be networked in a day and for under £100, unless you are moving here [3] then perhaps budget for a bit more  :D

cheers, a

[1] http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SC1.html
[2] http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Computer_Accessories_Index/Data_Grid_Plates_KN_W/index.html
[3] http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2150981/Yours-2-5million-Jacobean-mansion-bath-100-000-year-maintenance-bill.html
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 03:06:20 PM by asbokid »

Excelsior

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 09:08:21 AM »

Thanks for that, sounds relatively painless.  So I'm thinking you could have an Ethernet connected hard drive linked to the switch, the modem/router feeding into the switch (and modem/router will probably serve other hardware where it lives I suspect because I suppose it's a switch in and of itself?) and then anything not in proximity to the router can take a feed from the switch.  Does that sound workable?

Next up, research into surround sound speakers lodged in walls / ceilings!

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 03:33:03 PM »

Thanks for that, sounds relatively painless.  So I'm thinking you could have an Ethernet connected hard drive linked to the switch,

A Network-Attached Storage server (NAS)?  Or maybe a more versatile multimedia server that can perform other tasks?

the modem/router feeding into the switch (and modem/router will probably serve other hardware where it lives I suspect because I suppose it's a switch in and of itself?)

Most newish modem-routers have a gigabit ethernet switch controller but only one gigE physical port.

If there are any more ethernet ports on a modem-router they are usually just 100baseT. The CPU and/or the buffering memory of a low-cost modem-router is not usually adequate for switching ethernet frames at gigabit speeds.

and then anything not in proximity to the router can take a feed from the switch.  Does that sound workable?

A high port density gigE switch would leave the modem to do its own job.    This own-branded 16 port unmanaged gigE switch costs £50:

What sort of DSL connection will you have?   If FTTC is on the horizon for you, then the modem may be stretched enough as it.

Next up, research into surround sound speakers lodged in walls / ceilings!

Don't forget a waterproof speaker for the shower!

cheers, a
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 03:59:42 PM by asbokid »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 07:13:42 PM »

For your research purposes, the keywords for your search are structured wiring.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything