Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ignore Feature  (Read 5164 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Ignore Feature
« on: April 16, 2012, 01:52:19 PM »

Just to advise you that the new forum  SMF2 software has an ignore feature giving you control over members posts can be seen.

Unfortunately its not exactly in the most intuitive places but can be accessed via

> Profile
> Modify Profile
> Buddies/Ignore List
> Edit Ignore List

To add a member to you ignore list simply start typing their name into the box where it will intuitively pick up member names that you may wish to add.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

.Griff.

Re: Ignore Feature
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 02:34:43 PM »

Who said that?!?  ;)
[August 2010 - February 2012]    ---   [February 2012 - Present Day]

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 03:40:03 PM »

Just to add a couple of things..  we know that all forums get heated now and again. 
TBH this forum is generally well behaved and members get along very well and we do have a very friendly atmosphere on the whole where members get along far better than most :)

However it is inevitable that on occasions disagreements will occur for one reason or other. 

We ask that you try to remain courteous and although its often tempting to snap back, it does take two for it to escalate and this can happen quite quickly.   
Although our moderation may be tighter than some forums, we are not a 'nanny state' either as over-moderated forums dont make for a nice place to be either.  I'd like to think we are somewhere in that middle ground and we (mostly) get the balance right and try to take a neutral stance.
We allow you to have your say, but request that you do remain respectful to others at all times.

If you have a problem or see an abusive post then you can make use of the "Report to Moderator" function button which can be found at the bottom of each post.  (points to bottom right).

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 03:40:56 PM »

Who said that?!?  ;)

Who said what?   
No-one!   :D
-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 05:08:17 PM »

Who said that?!?  ;)

Who said what?   
Griff, it said Ignore not Isnore, must have been a typo.

The only problem I have found in the past when trying these type of features is when the empty box shows saying something like "This post is in your Ignore section" then there is nothing worse than curiosity wondering what they said so eventually I turn off the ignore feature and just learn to ignore the certain people.

Can I just point out there are at present no active current members in my ignore thoughts.

Edit:
Yet..........

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 05:17:38 PM »

Who said that?!?  ;)

Who said what?   
Griff, it said Ignore not Isnore, must have been a typo.

The only problem I have found in the past when trying these type of features is when the empty box shows saying something like "This post is in your Ignore section" then there is nothing worse than curiosity wondering what they said so eventually I turn off the ignore feature and just learn to ignore the certain people.

Can I just point out there are at present no active current members in my ignore thoughts.

Edit:
Yet..........

oldfogy ......... there are a lot of alias's beginning with the word 'Black', make sure you get the right one, wont you ??  ;) ;D ;D

<disclaimer- as I feel it neccesary> The above is meant as a joke, not confrontational.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 05:24:53 PM »

Oh damn.. youre right... curiosity etc.  :( :(
Goes in search to see if theres any mod to make it better...

I dont think Admin can ignore...  So the above screen shots were taken via a test account... who just blocked OF as a test and youre right.
-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 05:36:35 PM »

Not on here, but I have asked the question on at least one other forum if it could be possibly to hide a ignored post completely and the answer was not without a great deal of script rewriting which was something they did not want to get involved with, and Kitz, don't forget the updating issue of forum software once the original has been modified........

However, the ignore feature is and can be a very useful feature and it's just down to the individual to decide if it's suitable or not.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 05:45:23 PM »

Ive asked on the SMF forums if theres a mod available that can do it.. and take away the temptation to click show me post.

>> don't forget the updating issue of forum software once the original has been modified.

No Ive already learnt that lesson the hard way!  No more trying to be smart and do my own coding into the software.. which then stops future upgrades. ::)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 05:47:44 PM by kitz »
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 07:15:12 PM »

I'm quite happy not to ignore anyone who posts in these fora!  ;)

Even the bluebeanbandit, who posted that curiosity killed the feline in response to a question that I had asked.  :P
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything