Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New Internet Connection !.  (Read 7004 times)

Re: New Internet Connection !.
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2012, 04:51:05 PM »

I think you should definitely change the WiFi security setting to WPA2 with a good password/phrase of your own choice.

Also turn off WPS if the router uses it.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: New Internet Connection !.
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2012, 06:17:00 PM »

I think the first thing they need to do is a bit of research........ :-X  ;D

Eric is correct in that Virgin Cable do come to your home and set everything up.They need to run a fibre cable first from the box (which is usually under a small cover on the pavement) up to the property and through the wall into the designated room.This can mean burying the cable under the lawn,or even lifting paving slabs and then relaying once the cable is down.They usually make a very neat job..ie cutting a strip of turf in the lawn,laying the cable and then replacing the turf.Of course these are just examples and every home will be different

If you have any sort of paving over the cable route then Virgin will not offer service, even if the cable is already in place and functional. This has been policy for at least 5 years (back to the NTL days). They will continue to provide service for existing customers but if you cancel and then try to get service at some point in the future then they will refuse. At least half a dozen houses on this street are in that position, including next-door who had a fully functional connection, switched to BT (cost) and then tried to switch back. They were told "no service is available to your premises". The UBR here is permanently overloaded so its probably a blessing in disguise :D

Anyway you should be aware that anything other than soil between the edge of the pavement and the premises will prevent you getting Virgin cable.

Obviously a change of direction(mean beggars) from when I first had it installed at my previous address..circa 1994...Was then Yorkshire Cable,then Telewest,NTL and now Virgin
Pages: 1 [2]

anything