Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Cable to use for Phone use ?  (Read 4070 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Cable to use for Phone use ?
« on: April 29, 2012, 03:08:52 PM »

I need to have a phone in my workshop ( I use a 'dec' phone' now but its at the limits of it's range  :'() .
The cable is going from the house (near the NTE5 master socket and my domestic phone wiring junction box) via our garage / holiday  flat (20 Metre's) then from there up to my workshop (60 Metre's) underground .

Now I will talk about the second part first as I have 60 Metre's of the BT grey armored underground cable that was replaced from the ducting under our drive by BT some years ago when we had a fault (but it was not the cable !) .
This will do from the garage / flat to the workshop.

From the house to the garage/flat 25 years ago I put in some 12 core def-10 twisted pairs (like these ) :-
see      https://www.electriccableco.com/defence-standard-cable.php

Do you think these will be ok for phone ?.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 09:25:29 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Cable to use for Phone use ?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 04:14:12 PM »

I think you need to remove the 'see' from the end of that link: https://www.electriccableco.com/defence-standard-cable.php

That cable will be fine for the telephone (although considerably over the top :) ), but you probably need to think about any possible effect on your ADSL connection. Unless you have a filtered faceplate on the master socket, all that extra cable might well introduce extra interference and mess up your ADSL connection.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 07:48:50 PM »

Way over the top in terms of specification but otherwise quite usable for your telephony purposes -- assuming that you take care of the issue which Eric has highlighted.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 08:42:52 PM »

Not wishing to question the previous two answers and I ask this for my own education as much as anything else but are these cables twisted, or merely screened?

If not twisted then I would suggest that proper grounding of the screen would be vital, especially (but not only) if is to be exposed to the DSL signal.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 09:06:33 PM »

I would use CAT5 cable and then you could also have phone and network connections down the same cable if needed.

But have you considered a directional or stronger external aerial for your DEC phone?

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 09:20:33 PM »

I think you need to remove the 'see' from the end of that link: https://www.electriccableco.com/defence-standard-cable.php

That cable will be fine for the telephone (although considerably over the top :) ), but you probably need to think about any possible effect on your ADSL connection. Unless you have a filtered faceplate on the master socket, all that extra cable might well introduce extra interference and mess up your ADSL connection.
Thanks about the 'see'  Eric  :-[

Shall we say that cable was 'free'  ;)  I think it is '6 twisted pairs' (12 core)  and I was going connect it via the filtered faceplate on the master socket NTE5, on the phone side of the filtered faceplate  master socket I have taken a 6" piece of cable to a old bt junction box and my house wiring for the phones are taken from that..
Good point about the ADSL I will keep an eye on that .

Re.."I would use CAT5 cable and then you could also have phone and network connections down the same cable if needed." is this cable not good enough for that ?.
I was too late to get 200M of cat5 cable on 'freecycle' the other day.  >:D
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 11:12:29 PM »

A valid point from 7LM, as the illustration seems to imply twisted pairs. An examination of the proposed cable will clarify matters.

As you have clearly stated it is to be solely for a telephony extension, any twisted pair equal to or exceeding CW1308 specification would be good enough. There certainly is no need to "go out" and obtain particular cable for this job -- make do with what you have available.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 11:59:34 PM »

But have you considered a directional or stronger external aerial for your DEC phone?

I was going to ask, and still would like to know, do such devices exist? and are they legal?

Then in a quest to answer that question for myself I thought of another possible solution... a dect repeater.  They seem to be made by respected manufacturers and gap compatible  so I assume they are legitimate, but that may be a bold assumption.

The advantage of extending the dect range rather than wiring, is you maintain benefits such as full intercom between handsets and, if the dect base station has an answerphone, easy 'cancel' of the anserphone by just going off-hook on any handset.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 12:08:13 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

anything