Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: any other modem/network tools other than DMT/RS ..?  (Read 5258 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
any other modem/network tools other than DMT/RS ..?
« on: May 20, 2012, 04:15:47 AM »

just wondering if there are any other good tools i havent seen yet?

thanks
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

c6em

• Reg Member
Re: any other modem/network tools other than DMT/RS ..?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 09:03:04 AM »

The tools are limited by what information the routers will supply.
Currently DMT and RS between them pretty well cover all the available data from the router with the exception of the QLN - though as we know some routers will not work with either RS or DMT and others only partially work.
Snag is that one is no longer being developed so is frozen in time as of  - what 2007?
The other is not open sourced so it relies on moans from users to the long suffering author to make it work for XX router.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 10:13:44 PM »

i know.. shame someone (ahem...asbokid)  couldnt make a new tool, I was talking about this too Bald_Eagle, somthing like DMT + Router Stats + inSSIDer + TCP Optimizer all rolled into one, enter post code and runs for 24 hours (asking user not to use the internet if possible) and prints out a report such as:-

Your line has an attenuation of 35db and your connection is 8.1Mb down and 0.8Mb up
- the downstream connection rate is low for your line, your line should typically sync at around 12Mb
we have detected your line has raised noise & error counts in evenings
- this may be internal noise, click here for suggestions on how to try and fix this
we have detected your actual throughput (download speed) drops a lot during peak hours
- this may indicate congestion on your exchange
we have detected your network settings are sub-optimal
- TCP / MTU / RWIN and other values are not optimal for your connection, Click here for a fix
we have detected your neighbours Wi-Fi channels are interfering with yours
- neighbouring networks are broadcasting on same channel as you, we suggest changing your channel to channel ‘X’
we have detected your Wi-Fi signal is weak.
- your Wi-Fi signal on this client is not very strong, you should upgrade to wireless-N router and client
we have detected your DNS servers are slower than free public alternatives
- you are using DNS servers that are slow, click here for fix

we have detected your ISP as Virgin ADSL, your exchange has 21CN, LLU, Cable and Fibre available
click here for more info

something like that anyway.....

with a BASIC analysis of whats going on for non-nerds (John & Julie language)
and an ADVANCED analysis for experts who want to crunch numbers :)

and of course SNR/QLN/HLOG/BITSWAP spectrum analysis on the bottom window, I find Router Stats to be a bit odd on those pages, and if you dont know where too look for them they can be hard to find

be ACE if something like that could be made, I know the main problem is 99% of users will have ISP routers that wont be able to get access, still, most of the analysis I mention above could be done without the advanced stats

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 01:28:11 PM »

I did attempt at doing something along those lines a few years ago, it got abandoned due to other things happening in my life.
It was a php script though and needed the user to manually input the info..  but would give an interpretation in laymans terms.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 01:31:03 PM »

I did attempt at doing something along those lines a few years ago, it got abandoned due to other things happening in my life.
It was a php script though and needed the user to manually input the info..  but would give an interpretation in laymans terms.

so it was something you were going to incorperate into the website? - bit like what BeThere had..? (do they still have that?) - they had a page where you copy pasted the router stats in and it gave you a 'laymans terms' report

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 01:39:24 PM »

yep..  I think one of the Be usergroup members developed their tool whilst I was working on mine, another reason, but mine also incorporated line checker details...  but the main one was that I had so much going on during that period..  actually just dug the script out and Ive not touched it for over 3 yrs, which was the date I moved it to my d-drive  :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 10:58:49 PM »

yep..  I think one of the Be usergroup members developed their tool whilst I was working on mine, another reason, but mine also incorporated line checker details...  but the main one was that I had so much going on during that period..  actually just dug the script out and Ive not touched it for over 3 yrs, which was the date I moved it to my d-drive  :/

is it anything you have time to work on?  be a great thing for the website to have :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 11:55:42 PM »

I'll second that, snadge. There are forum regulars who may well be able to help Kitz develop such an on-line tool.

b*cat thinks it is best that he doesn't mention certain persons' forum IDs . . .  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.