Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I've got an android  (Read 7239 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: I've got an android
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2012, 08:02:42 AM »

iOS is derived from Mac OS X, with which it shares the Darwin foundation, and is therefore a Unix operating system.

A 'proper' operating system, and arguably the Daddy of all linuxes ?  :graduate:

Hmm.. I'd certainly agree that the BSDs are more 'pure' unix than Linux is, but OS X and iOS are very much adapted derivatives, not pure at all. :oldman:
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 10:04:09 AM »

Hmm.. I'd certainly agree that the BSDs are more 'pure' unix than Linux is, but OS X and iOS are very much adapted derivatives, not pure at all. :oldman:

Agreed, actually.  OS/X is certainly recognisable as Unix under the skin.  Driven from the terminal command line most of the unix utilities are there, and (if you know unix) then it's nice to see the filestore laid out in a unix-like fashion.   

But then again the slightest task, such as opening a new browser window, often leads to the appearance of the dreaded spinning colour wheel and commencement of mysterious and endless disk thrashing before, several minutes later, the machine eventually becomes usable again.   No, that's not Unix as I remember it.   :(

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 11:04:33 AM »

I think much the same can be said of Android - it's Linux under the skin, but it's a fairly thick skin. :)
  Eric
Pages: 1 [2]

anything