Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ubuntu 11.10 causes problems for CRT display screen users  (Read 3004 times)

hake

• Reg Member
  • Owzat! On ya way, back to the pavilion!
Ubuntu 11.10 causes problems for CRT display screen users
« on: April 25, 2012, 04:11:44 PM »

I use a CRT display screen.  I was much put-out to discover that Ubuntu 11.10 has confiscated the display configuration option used to set the screen refresh rate.  Using a CRT display screen at 60Hz refresh frequency is a dismal experience.  Can I get this through to the Ubuntu people?  No way!  It is quite impossible to communicate the problem to them.

Ubuntu 11.04 allows control of screen refresh rate.  I hope that version 12.04 reinstates it.

The Unity UI is another thing that might send me into the arms of Fedora.
Windows XP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Ubuntu 11.10 causes problems for CRT display screen users
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 04:35:05 PM »

Ubuntu is very inclined to go its own way almost regardless of complaints from its users. I suggest that you don't hold your breath. :)

Can I suggest that you consider Mint as an alternative. It's Ubuntu or Debian based, but much more friendly towards users.

Sent from my M013RTB using Tapatalk 2
  Eric

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 05:57:54 PM »

Ubuntu is very inclined to go its own way almost regardless of complaints from its users. I suggest that you don't hold your breath. :)
That's why I abandoned Ubuntu.. I'm not being told how my GUI is going to look!

Mark Shuttleworth, the billionaire "benevolent dictator" running Ubuntu was only ever a tenant on our screen real estate.  We still remain the freeholders!

Hake, are you happy to lift the hood to clean the plugs yourself?  if so, you can add any "modeline" you want to the XFree86 configuration file to tweak the video timing settings:  refresh rate, pixel clock, etc..   [1][2]

There is also a tool xvidtune that allows you to tinker without re-starting the X server after every tweak.

cheers, a

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XFree86_Modeline
[2] http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/XFree86-Video-Timings-HOWTO/index.html

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 08:43:33 PM »

I could not get on with Ubuntu  >:D that's why I went over to PC Linux OS  .
Can you not boot up to a 'prompt'  I then use XFdrake   and hit 'Enter' then I can change the video card settings etc. then re-boot .
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.