Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: DNS Servers  (Read 22173 times)

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
Re: DNS Servers
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2012, 06:42:14 PM »

Hi again,
Now I'm a bit mystified as to why you've had so many problems getting to use OpenDNS. So much so that I made a Mint 12 (32 bit) installation under VirtualBox. The initial installation showed 192.168.1.254 as the DNS. That's what I expected as that's my router.
resolv.conf was:
Code: [Select]
# Generated by NetworkManager
nameserver 192.168.1.254
I then changed the DNS servers to 208.67.222.222, 208.67.222.220 using the "Editing Wired connection 1" popup as shown on asbokid's post.
resolv.conf had changed to:
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220
Then I went to http://www.opendns/welcome and got "Welcome to OpenDNS".
Elapsed time for all that was about 30 mins, not counting Mint download time; and I was doing something else for most of the time, too!
Maybe it's worth thinking about doing a complete reinstall of Mint as something in your system seems a bit misconfigured. Wipe the disk and start again. It wouldn't take too long.
Cheers,
Peter

Golfer

• This is how I THINK I look
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2012, 09:24:06 PM »

Hi again,
Now I'm a bit mystified as to why you've had so many problems getting to use OpenDNS.  Not as much as I am!

So much so that I made a Mint 12 (32 bit) installation under VirtualBox.   Wow! Above and beyond the call of duty I'd say!

The initial installation showed 192.168.1.254 as the DNS. That's what I expected as that's my router.
resolv.conf was:
nameserver 192.168.1.254
I then changed the DNS servers to 208.67.222.222, 208.67.222.220 using the "Editing Wired connection 1" popup as shown on asbokid's post.
resolv.conf had changed to:
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220
     As you can see from the previous posts, my results were different from those expected!  Resov.conf produced the info but when I went back to check, system said it wasn't installed!

Elapsed time for all that was about 30 mins, not counting Mint download time; and I was doing something else for most of the time, too!
Maybe it's worth thinking about doing a complete reinstall of Mint as something in your system seems a bit misconfigured. Wipe the disk and start again. It wouldn't take too long.   That's something I'd considered and I may yet do, but for now (after all the messing about) I'll let things run a while and see what occurs!
Cheers,
Peter

Regards

Rich
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
Run like **************!
AH 1945

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2012, 12:10:06 AM »

/sbin/resolvconf (the binary) was probably installed automatically as a dependency of another package you installed.. e.g. nscd or dnsmasq.

Whilst the main package, e.g. dnsmasq may have been removed, sometimes the files from a dependent package, e.g. resolvconf, remain.

EDIT: It looks like that is what happened when you installed dnsmasqresolvconf is listed as a "suggested package" to install with it..

It seems that resolvconf is provided by two different Debian packages.. one package is called resolvconf and another is called openresolv.

Since resolvconf (the package) is not installed on golfer's machine, the finger of suspicion points also at the other package, openresolv.

All a bit academic now. Glad you got it sorted. The Linux Mint forum might be a better place for these questions.

cheers, a
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 12:24:39 AM by asbokid »

Golfer

• This is how I THINK I look
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2012, 10:19:05 AM »

/sbin/resolvconf (the binary) was probably installed automatically as a dependency of another package you installed.. e.g. nscd or dnsmasq.

Whilst the main package, e.g. dnsmasq may have been removed, sometimes the files from a dependent package, e.g. resolvconf, remain.

EDIT: It looks like that is what happened when you installed dnsmasqresolvconf is listed as a "suggested package" to install with it..

It seems that resolvconf is provided by two different Debian packages.. one package is called resolvconf and another is called openresolv.

Since resolvconf (the package) is not installed on golfer's machine, the finger of suspicion points also at the other package, openresolv.

All a bit academic now. Glad you got it sorted. The Linux Mint forum might be a better place for these questions.

cheers, a

Hi again..............just when you thought I'd gone away.................... ::)   As you may see from my reply to Peter on the post "static ip address and virgin media", things didn't quite work out so I'm basically back where I started!  I'll keep having a tinker and see if I can get the files you quoted removed.  If not, then a re-install looks the best bet.

I've posted a few times on the Mint forum (US one) but the replies are few and often take a long time.  The Linux UK site, I believe, has had some issues and has had to be re-set, losing a lot of information.

Rich

Asbokid, you're definitely a genius and the pint is yours!  I removed completely resolv.conf through package manger and my connection settings worked immediately.  Openresolv had not been installed.

Funny how some things are simple innit..............but only when you know how!

Thanks again

Rich
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 10:38:50 AM by Golfer »
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
Run like **************!
AH 1945

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2012, 02:18:02 PM »

Asbokid, you're definitely a genius and the pint is yours!  I removed completely resolv.conf through package manger and my connection settings worked immediately.  Openresolv had not been installed.

Funny how some things are simple innit..............but only when you know how!

:thumbs:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 2 [3]