Internet > General Internet

DNS Servers

(1/7) > >>

Golfer:
Hi All - I trust this is the right area for my queries, please feel free to move it if not!

I've recently changed ISP to Virgin Media (all well and good - 30Mb soon to be 60Mb) and have their Superhub.  I've also ditched Windows Vista and am running Linux Mint 12.  On Vista, (ISP then was TalkTalk) my DNS server varied between Open DNS and Google.  Now, with Virgin, their own DNS server is apparently 'locked into' the hub firmware and can't be changed? 

Query 1 - is this so or is there a workaround?

Various web searches (including Virgin's site) say to configure the settings directly into my computer and this I've done -  (they appear in the config box as correct) and have followed the 'how to' instructions very carefully.  When I access the OpenDNS test page, however, the site says I'm not set up for their service! 

Query 2 - how does this software actually work?  Does the computer determine the path or the router?  And if the settings are actually 'locked' into the hub, do they override the computer's settings?

It seems that Virgin are under a lot of pressure to enable the changing of DNS servers on Superhub but it doesn't look like there will be a resolution anytime soon.  I would much prefer to use a non-ISP DNS server if possible.  Any pointers would be a great help - I'm very new to Linux, by the way, so words of one syllable would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Rich

roseway:
If you configure your computer to access your preferred DNS servers directly, the system should respect that, and DNS requests will be passed straight through the router. However, have you confirmed that the configuration changes you made in the computer have actually stuck? The reason I ask is that the DNS subsystem in Debian (and presumably Debian-based distros) changed a little while back. Previously you could edit /etc/resolvconf directly, but now if you do that it gets overwritten on the first reboot. So you have to make the change elsewhere, and I'm not sure how Mint arranges this.

Golfer:

--- Quote from: roseway on April 25, 2012, 03:35:48 PM ---If you configure your computer to access your preferred DNS servers directly, the system should respect that, and DNS requests will be passed straight through the router. However, have you confirmed that the configuration changes you made in the computer have actually stuck? The reason I ask is that the DNS subsystem in Debian (and presumably Debian-based distros) changed a little while back. Previously you could edit /etc/resolvconf directly, but now if you do that it gets overwritten on the first reboot. So you have to make the change elsewhere, and I'm not sure how Mint arranges this.

--- End quote ---

Hi Eric and thanks for the reply.

I'd hoped that it was the case as per the first part of your answer.  The second part though is proving difficult.  I've tried several methods as outlined in various forums around the net, both by configuring 'network connections' directly and through terminal.  The settings are there (and remain so after re-boot) but when I use terminal to check them, the router settings are listed 1st and 2nd and OpenDNS 3rd and 4th in the list.  Try as I might, I can't figure out how to edit the settings in terminal to move them up!  More research is required, obviously................  ;D

Blackeagle:
Dunno much about Linux, but, on a windows box, one would remove the DNS resolver pointing at the router.

EG, if your router is at 192.168.0.1 then generally your DNS server address would be the same as the gateway (192.168.0.1) and the router would hand on DNS queries to the resolvers it picked up from the ISP.  If however you remove that address from the DNS resolver list and add a different one, say 8.8.8.8 for google DNS, then the PC will never ask the router for a DNS query, it will instead query google DNS directly, in spite of the fact that the router has picked up the ISP's DNS settings.

As I understand it, if you edit the /etc/resolv.conf file manually then if you are using NetworkManager it will be overwritten on each boot.

This link may help.

burakkucat:
Blackeagle -- Someone has typed a malformed link! I wonder who it was?  ::)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version