Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Walter et al .........  (Read 18915 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Walter et al .........
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2012, 12:23:10 PM »

Wooah, that was weird, only just woke up!  Feel like Ive gone several rounds with Mike Tyson - ache all over, still a bit nauseous and very, very tired. Yesterday I couldnt do anything, not even read a book or eat and I spent the most of the day drifting in and out of uncomfortable sleeps.  Looks like Ive missed the bins as I couldnt put the wheelies out last night and will be another 2 weeks before collection :(
Need to get a shower or bath, but waiting for the heating to warm the house up first as Im freezing...  then attempt to get back on track... as I have lots to do.

>> Keep your filthy mitts off our Kitz!  I know for a fact you never lick your paws after using the litter tray!

:lol:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2012, 01:09:00 PM »

[PSB3]
50 BBC One HD (UK service without regions),
51 ITV 1 HD (ITV Central West),
53 S4C Clirlun,
54 BBC HD,

Interesting, and a possible solution for ITV and an unregional BBC1, but unfortunately doesnt do much for the other channels :/

the transponder uses 256QAM constellation so it might be expecting too much for your distance?

hmmm unsure.  Could go 2 ways.. not pick it up at all, or pick it up and I get a crappy blocky picture like what happens with BBC3 now.

Do you like the MythTV stuff?

Not sure if Ive understood properly here as Im not up on MythTV, so please do forgive me if Ive got this wrong (which I probably have).

But several years ago I built an Antec System with Windows MCE using a Hauppage WinTV card.   This seemed to work for a while, but guess what also went to pot at DSO?  ???  As Eric will probably confirm, (he built a similar linux system at about the same time)... they can be tricky to tune and very temperamental. 
It was ok whilst it lasted, but its a right PITA having to wait for a PC too boot up and switch over to MC before you can watch something.. and it has to be a dedicated system.  You cant really watch live tv and use the PC at the same time. There was a time when I had several boxes, but unfortunately these days Im basically down to this PC and the ipad. This PC couldnt serve the downstairs TV.  It was a fun project at the time, and meant to be the B-all of media systems...  but at some point became impractical.

Its so damn annoying that so much went to pot at the time of DSO.. and just about everything I had no longer worked as it should, and I more or less stopped watching TV anyhow.   
TBH one of the reasons why I was enquiring about the ATV here was I knew I was likely to be wanting to watch TV for a few days as I wouldnt be up to doing much else.

Just checked in the Andover Argos and their catalogue is still showing the SD STB I bought. The Argos number is 523/2367 and it's only £17.99. Should have given you this number before. 

Thank you so much for doing that tony - appreciated.
According to the online catalogue thats the Alba model which has the marker "Please note that this product is excluded from our 30 Day Money Back Guarantee."
My fear is that it may do exactly the same as my existing equipment and because of the overlap in the NW still pick up moel-y-parc due to its stonger output. :( :(

I just looked at that map and the Welsh transmitter.

I will work the mileage out later.

104 miles -v- 39 miles for me according to google maps.

Kitz, my last word (honest) on the merits of FreeSat, probably only relevant if you're a sports fan though.

Im not a sports fan, but I think you may be right HP.  Unless I know for sure there is a freeview unit that allows you to specify channels or frequencies, then Freesat or sky is going to be the only permanent solution.

Unfortunately for dish and installation and even a couple of cheap (non HD) boxes it looks like at least £200 because of the dish and installation. The HD boxes arent cheap :(

Currently sky is £15 for 6 months + £25 thereafter inc ent pack + free installation = £240 - £50 M&S voucher.   Downside only one box... and which room?

Dilema, dilemas.

When I get a chance I may have another look at my Freestat box with hard-disk and see if I can get that to at least work with the downstairs TV..  cause the downstairs TV is the real mess atm.. at least I have decent upstairs tele for now.   I definitely dont feel like lugging boxes about and crawling in corners messing with ariels today.   Someone was supposed to have helped me to find a solution for this ages ago, but for whatever reason he couldnt get it fixed/sorted either. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 01:12:27 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2012, 02:24:23 PM »

A bit more research brought up the quote below which is specific to the Wales Liverpool area problem of rejecting the Welsh Tx at Moel-y-Parc. I suspect you may have already found this but here it is.

"The Welsh channels are located between channels 42 and 52, while the English channels are between 54 and 62, so when your Freeview box does a scan it picks up the Welsh channels first and stores them in the preferred channel numbers on your box (1=BBC1, 2=BBC2, 3=ITV1 etc), while the English channels have probably been stored as duplicates, starting from channel 800 or 801.

The way to get round this problem is to do a complete retune of your Freeview box. There are two ways to do this depending on how your box works. If the box displays the channel number that it's scanning on screen while it's doing the scan (starting from channel 21 up to channel 68), then the easiest way of doing it is to unplug the aerial from the back of your Freeview box, start an automatic scan, and when the scan reaches 53 then plug the aerial back in so that the box can pick up the English channels but will already have scanned past the Welsh channels without registering them.
If you can't do that, then a more tedious way round it is to do a complete automatic scan with the aerial unplugged, so that your box is left with no channels registered at all, then plug in the aerial and then do a manual scan of each of channels 54, 55, 58, 59, 61 and 62 (54 has the HD channels from Winter Hill, so if you haven't got a HD TV then you can start scanning from 55)."

Probably my last word!
Tony

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2012, 03:31:36 PM »

Thank you so very much tony - youve been a great help... very much appreciated.
What you mention above is my next thing to try.

What you mention is similar to what I did for the upstairs TV.  I plugged back in when it reached 737 MHz.   You do have to be REALLY quick and numerous times I was just too slow trying to watch the screen AND fiddling at the back plugging ariels in and out (hence the achy arm) as I either need longer arms or another person to watch and shout "NOW". :D

Downstairs TV doesnt display chans nor freqs during the scan, so thats a no-goer.. although this certainly could be something to look at via the technosonic freeview box.  Id need to do some box suffling around and hooking everything up..  and Im not sure if the technosonic does this yet (Having been decommisioned at time of switchover due to also picking up moel-y-parc.) So I need to drag that out and give it a go.

It will mean moving some furniture too to get behind everything so its definitely not something to try today.  It may even be a 2 pple job, so I may see if I can get dad or Kimi/Sam to help.  I'll certainly let you know.

-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2012, 06:09:15 PM »

Keep your filthy mitts off our Kitz!  I know for a fact you never lick your paws after using the litter tray!

I use the litter tray, cover the evidence, pat your multi-coloured ice-cream ball back into a spherical shape and then I lick my paws.  :angel:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2012, 07:11:31 PM »

I use the litter tray, cover the evidence, pat your multi-coloured ice-cream ball back into a spherical shape and then I lick my paws.  :angel:

rolling at you two  :lol: :lol:

-----------------------

And just a reminder what this thread was originally all about.... the program is tonight at 8.30

However,  there's been yet another change

Mon 30 Apr 2012 20:30 BBC One except North West, Wales

You got to be kidding me.. 
......I now have a TV which I can watch BBC North West on....  and now they do this?

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2012, 10:07:52 PM »

:shrug2:  :doh:  D'oh!
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]