Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Walter et al .........  (Read 18992 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Walter et al .........
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2012, 06:34:46 PM »

>> and the area (SW, S or SE).

Wonder if it would be able to separate the NW with both transmitters covering the same region.   I just did a bit of googling and cant seem to find a set top which allows you to specify which channels you want to scan.  One site said there wasnt such a product.
With so many cross over regions Im sure there must be something.  It would be so good if I could just put in the frequency numbers (or channel nos) for the transmitters that I wished to scan.

-----

YAY  I know have a working upstairs TV  :clap:
Managed to reverse the damage I did the other night by doing an auto-scan.

After about 2+ hours of messing and one very achy arm from keep reaching behind the set to plug/unplug the arial in an attempt to reset it... Im finally able to get Granada TV and other NW channels.  Thats it.. not touching it again hopefully for a looooooooong time..  no more auto updates..  leave it alone.

The downstairs TV is another problem and thats a lost cause.. I just watch what I can get on it.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2012, 07:07:38 PM »

YAY  I know have a working upstairs TV  :clap:
Managed to reverse the damage I did the other night by doing an auto-scan.

After about 2+ hours of messing and one very achy arm from keep reaching behind the set to plug/unplug the arial in an attempt to reset it... Im finally able to get Granada TV and other NW channels.  Thats it.. not touching it again hopefully for a looooooooong time..  no more auto updates..  leave it alone.

Glad to hear it, but how ridulous that getting a tv working should be a cause for celebration.  That's not a criticism of kitz, by the way. I'm afraid I've been highly unimpressed by many aspects of DSO and I've certainly formed the opinion that the broadcasting authorities have had a 'head in the sand & BS the consumer" attitude towards any problems.   :(

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2012, 07:10:43 PM »

'Black Sheep the consumer ....' ?? :o

;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2012, 07:48:32 PM »

That's not a criticism of kitz, by the way. I'm afraid I've been highly unimpressed by many aspects of DSO and I've certainly formed the opinion that the broadcasting authorities have had a 'head in the sand & BS the consumer" attitude towards any problems.

Not taken as such..  youre right its appalling that so many people had and still have problems from switch over.   People like my parents wouldn't have a clue.. and either me or my brother have to help them.  Luckily they have sky as do most of my neighbours.  But the fact that even though I know how to sort out the upstairs TV..  I dont bother because its so time consuming to do so... and end up using things like ATV. 

I bet theres many an elderly person who struggles with  poor reception, unavailable channels and un-watchable channels at night because they run into problems like this. 

You know, thinking about it now.. its ironic that this was brought up in this particular thread, because it wouldnt surprise me if as many people suffer in silence about this, than those who have problems getting decent broadband. The moel-y-parc is probably the most well known because it affects so much of the NW and causes problems over such a wide area including cheshire, merseyside and the NW coastal regions.. but there are also many other parts of the UK that suffer similar.

TV tuning that allowed you to set the transmitter frequencies would make things so much simpler for so many people and take away much of the problems.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2012, 08:29:46 PM »

Reading from the pretty skimpy "handbook" for my new STB, under "Auto Search" it says: Note: If your location falls between two transmitters,then you will be requested to select one after the scan is complete. Under "Manual Search" it says Set the Channel Name to the Channel number you wish to search. Then press Enter for the search to start. If the screen returns to the installation screen immediately then no stations were found on that Channel number. If stations are found the channel list will be built until all are found. I can't test much of this in anger 'cos I have enough trouble receiving the Isle of Wight from 40 miles away! But I can reject other transmitters to the North and East of me. The other snag is how does anybody know how sophisticated the box they're buying is before they use it? However if they are all like this it might solve some of your problems, Kitz. It might be worth a gamble for your downstairs TV.
Tony

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2012, 08:58:19 PM »

Reading from the pretty skimpy "handbook" for my new STB, under "Auto Search" it says: Note: If your location falls between two transmitters,

That's a load of rubbish, I think the Wales transmiters are to powerfull maybe it is because they have more mountains :-)

I can see my local transmiter and  could cycle to it in 30 mins, could I cysle to the Wales transmitter in a hour?

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2012, 09:18:10 PM »

'Black Sheep the consumer ....' ?? :o

;D

No offence intended  :lol:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2012, 10:06:39 PM »

Thanks tony for all this info.. no dont muck up your own set up.

>> The other snag is how does anybody know how sophisticated the box they're buying is before they use it?

They dont..  thats the problem.  The bush one that I had before getting the upstairs TV doesnt..  nor does the downstairs technosonic box which is combo unit with hard-disk for recording.  That also has the wales problem since we went digital :(

>>> VDVB51N

Says this item cant be found.  Ive tried looking at the models at about £20 by they are either Alba or Bush.
I was thinking argos may be a good idea because if it doesnt do what I need I can take it back.   However it says "Please note that this product is excluded from our 30 Day Money Back Guarantee." so there goes that idea out of the window :/

>> I think the Wales transmiters are to powerfull maybe it is because they have more mountains

I read somewhere a while back that the moel-y-parc transmitter had indeed wapped up its signal strength and this was the reason why it was causing so many problems.  Have they done anything about it though.. nope :/

-----

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2012, 12:17:27 AM »

I read somewhere a while back that the moel-y-parc transmitter had indeed wapped up its signal strength and this was the reason why it was causing so many problems.  Have they done anything about it though.. nope :/

just looking at the ukfree.tv website for that transmitter..

http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=SJ123701

Maybe a DVB-T2 receiver could pull in a signal from PSB3, the Public Service Broadcast transponder #1 on Moel-Y-Parc. That transponder broadcasts the un-Welsh (regionless) version of BBC1 HD and ITV 1 HD for the ITV Central West region. The transponder uses 256QAM constellation so it might be expecting too much for your distance?  And it still doesn't provide BBC2 Un-Welsh.

Do you like the MythTV stuff?  The DVB-T(1) pci cards/usb sticks cost just a few pounds now.  The DVB-T2 ones are still somewhat more  >:(

cheers, a

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2012, 11:34:38 AM »

Kitz, my last word (honest) on the merits of FreeSat, probably only relevant if you're a sports fan though.
Picked up on another forum:
Freesat announce an additional 24 channels of HD for the Olympics
=================================================================

Dear Humax user,

Freesat have announced they will carry all of the BBC’s 24 live HD
Olympic channels throughout the London 2012 Olympics, offering the
full range of live BBC Olympics coverage, bringing every Olympic sport
from every Olympic venue.

In addition to the 24 temporary BBC HD Olympics channels listed in
the Freesat TV Guide, Freesat viewers will also be able to access
the live 'streams' via the BBC Red Button service.

As long as your unit is left in standby at night (not powered off
or left on) your unit should pick these channels up automatically,
or alternatively you can manually retune when they are launched.
For further information closer to the Olympics please visit:
http://www.freesat.co.uk/

I imagine other HD FreeSat tuners would do the same.

I have a Humax HD PVR and a Humax HD tuner so am rather looking forward to a ridiculous choice of events! 24 HD Olympics channels :lol:

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2012, 07:01:00 PM »

Just checked in the Andover Argos and their catalogue is still showing the SD STB I bought. The Argos number is 523/2367 and it's only £17.99. Should have given you this number before.
Tony

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2012, 08:45:32 PM »

http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=SJ123701

I just looked at that map and the Welsh transmitter.

I will work the mileage out later.

38 miles to Wales - 2.4 Miles to my transmitter.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 08:51:15 PM by BritBrat »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2012, 07:14:31 PM »

Quick reply not ignoring thread but had mother of all headaches for past 24+ hrs   Not even opened curtains today and even struggled to get downstairs to feed zigs. Bbasap
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2012, 07:51:26 PM »

Quick reply not ignoring thread but had mother of all headaches for past 24+ hrs   Not even opened curtains today and even struggled to get downstairs to feed zigs. Bbasap

:'(  You both need to take care of each other. Soothing cat-cuddles and hugs. :flower:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2012, 04:07:36 AM »

Soothing cat-cuddles and hugs. :flower:

Keep your filthy mitts off our Kitz!  I know for a fact you never lick your paws after using the litter tray!

cheers, a
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything