Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Patter of paws again?  (Read 2216 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Patter of paws again?
« on: April 30, 2012, 03:16:08 PM »

Still mulling things over, so may be a bit premature news yet, (having had a FIP cat puts soooooo mcuh fear into you)... but Zac has left a huge gap in both mine and Ziggy's life. 

Ziggy is still pining dreadfully over Zac and because Birmans are one of the most sociable breed of cats... without doubt Ziggy needs a pal.  Ive always had at least 2, and because of Ziggy's FHO op he would need another gentle natured cat, (Birmans are soft loveable non-fighters)  but also one young enough for him to play with.  Birmans take longer to mature than 'normal' cats, so although Zigs is now 16mnths.. he still is very kittenish.  Ive been keeping my eyes open Birman rescue etc, but so far either nothing has appealed... or/nor one that would fit the requirements.  Without doubt there is always the worry about Zigs having been in such close contact to a FIP cat.

Anyhow Zac's breeder sent me a lovely email last week that brought tears to my eyes..  this stunningly beautiful lady kitteh Grace is due in a few weeks

with the daddy being "Champion Norvin Royalpride" - or better known to me as Willow who is Ziggy's dad.

One of Grace's babies (if I want) is to be a gift to me. "it would be a gift from Norvin Sky Dreamer he would want you to find another precious kitten to give and recive love from."  - Norvin Sky Dreamer being Zac's pedigree name.

I've spent the past week thinking things over, Ive shed tears over Zac, I cried again when I got the email.  Although none will ever take Zac's place..  I am beginning to feel that the time is right for me and Zigs to help fill the hole.

Very early days yet..  new kittens cant go to their forever homes until 3 months, but the time would also be right to be on the safe side and make sure that Ziggy isnt shedding any FCV.   Remember theres no way of diagnosing FIP or vaccines against it.. nor any definitive tests..  just that FIP is a mutated FCV (suspected to be triggered by stress)... which can live for 3-7 days or rumoured can survive in carpets for up to 3 months. 
So as a precaution I think it best if I got my carpets cleaned (something that needs doing anyhow after the new boiler and decorating the PC room last year).

Lots still to think about... but I now am beginning to get awfully broody for the patter of tiny paws... and without doubt there is space in this house for a new kitten to love.

Jan - you are a wonderful lady...  Decission time will be after the kittens are born and I get to see them... kittens from such stock will be in demand... I will keep you updated.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
Re: Patter of paws again?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 03:36:00 PM »

I'm sure you will do the right thing at the right time Kitz, it will help you both to have a new kitten and especially Ziggy who I'm sure will benefit as he's still suffering from the grief of losing Zac.  Brought tears to my eyes reading your post, how lovely that they have offered you one of the soon to be born litter, so very kind methinks.  Have to say your thinking on the cleaning et al prior to introduing a new "baby" into the househould would be spot on in my mind, best to try everything just in case.

Good luck with your eventual decision, it will be the right one for you and when the time is right.

{{{hugs}}} - Chrissie x
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 04:22:20 PM »

Thank you chrissie.  :flower:

I'd started just looking around at various places about 10-14 days ago, nothing definitive, just places like rescue etc as atm i cant really afford how much a pedigree kitten would cost. The email came at a time when I was just beginning to feel stirrings myself about what to do.

Ive read so much the past few weeks about FIP and introducing a new cat into the household and what you can and cant do to reduce risks.  Theres just so much though unknown about FIP... other than the probable mutated FCV (common cold to humans) so all cats are likely to have FCV at some point.
Its what turns it into FIP which they think is stress?...  but like with human disease who knows what triggers leukaemia?   Although FIP isnt Feline Leukaemia..  the symptoms of dry FIP are similar to human leukaemia in that new red blood cells stop being produced, white blood cells go into overdrive and the immune system turns on itself and is unable to cope.
Symptoms are also similar to Human AIDS in that its an immune deficiency problem - although its NOT Feline AIDS..  nor can FIP itself be directly passed from one cat to another.  Its just a mutation that 'happens' :(
I think Ive got the facts straight, but with so much unknown about FIP its hard to know what to do for the best and until more research is conclusive then I guess we wont know for sure.

The FCV virus is said to survive only 3-7 days..  but there are some rumours that it may survive in carpets for 'up to' 3 months.  The virus can easily be eradicated with normal disinfectants.. and cleaning carpets is just a precaution.  Since its something Ive been meaning to do since last year anyhow it certainly wont harm.
Ziggy has had a check over by the vet and he's in top condition and very healthy...  however back again to theres no test for FIP... so I guess it will be a risk Ive got to take.

>> Good luck with your eventual decision, it will be the right one for you and when the time is right.

Exactly - Getting Zac was fate - there were several weird fate factors about getting Zac.  He choose me I was originally wanting one that looked like Grace in the pic above. Ziggy was fate too. Still cant believe no-one had wanted him! 

So I feel I will know when I see the kittens.  This was such a very kind gesture by the breeder and one that I may take up if one of those kittens feels like its "the one for me and Zigs."   Ironically this batch of kittehs was probably conceived at about the very same time Zac died...  that could be a sign if youre a believer ;)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 04:28:20 PM »

You're doing all the right things Kitz, and as Chrissie said, I'm sure you'll make the right decision for yourself, Ziggy and the new kitten. :flower:
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 06:22:13 PM »

What a wonderful gesture by Jan, the breeder.  :)

I am sure that you will ultimately make the right decision for both yourself and Ziggy . . . Until then, you have each other to look after.

:flower:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 07:02:48 PM »

It was...  its taken me a little while to decide..  but Ive today contacted her to take her up on this wonderful gesture - obviously on the understanding that both me and the kitten get on.... and I will look forward to seeing them when they are old enough.

Ive actually been quite excited about this and told my mum this eve (who isnt known to be a cat lover)  and she was like over the moon going "how wonderful"..  "how exciting for you"... "how nice something special to look forward too"... "this is fantastic news for you and Ziggy another one would be good for both of you".

Well pick me up off the floor.  :swoon:
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 10:05:24 PM »

That is wonderful news.  ;D

:thumbs:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything