Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Walter et al .........  (Read 18995 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Walter et al .........
« on: April 25, 2012, 09:45:48 AM »

Check out 'Rip Off Britain' tonight folks.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Walter et al .........
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 01:00:07 PM »

BBC1    Wed, 25 Apr    19:30

Rip off Britain -
Asking why people living in areas with only slow broadband speeds should have to pay the same price as everyone else for a service they are not getting, and meet the villagers so fed up with being unable to get online, they took matters in to their own hands. Plus, the student hit with a £1,500 bill after his phone was stolen, even though he could prove he had not made the calls.

Could be interesting.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 05:53:46 PM »

I shan't be watching it as I'm going out for dinner.  Even so' I'm a little sceptical of the BBC's impartiality these days, they often seem more influenced by 'what will make the best headline', rather than what is the most factual report.

Plus, the student hit with a £1,500 bill after his phone was stolen, even though he could prove he had not made the calls.
[/quote]

... case in point.  I have always had PAYG phones simply because the small print in T&C for contract phones always seems to imply unlimited liability, which I find unacceptable.  I hope the BBC will publish the fact (if it is the case) that said student could have opted for PAYG to avoid the liability?

But despite my BBC-sceptisicism, I shouldn't prejudge.   I may even hit 'record' and watch it later.    :-[

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 06:16:55 PM »

Methinks the BBC schedulers have had a rethink ?? It's now showing as a Panorama Special about 'Madelaine'.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 06:24:07 PM »

Methinks the BBC schedulers have had a rethink ?? It's now showing as a Panorama Special about 'Madelaine'.

lol  so they have... 
It was still showing as scheduled at 1pm this afternoon, which is when I looked at the TV guide, so its obviously changed in the past couple of hours.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 06:33:31 PM »

"Rescheduled for Mon 30 Apr 2012 20:30 BBC One except Wales"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01gyl2k

cheers, a

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 06:35:53 PM »

Looks like its re-scheduled for Monday

Episode 7 of 8, Series 3

Duration: 30 minutes

Angela Rippon, Gloria Hunniford and Julia Somerville battle on behalf of viewers who feel they've been ripped off or had a raw deal - and try to get their problems resolved.

In this episode, they ask why people living in areas with only slow broadband speeds should have to pay the same price as everyone else for a service they are not getting, and meet the villagers so fed up with being unable to get online, they took matters in to their own hands.

Next Monday 20:30 BBC One except Wales

>>> except Wales

Oh well thats me out then to be able to watch it live.   
I can only get very crappy BBC TV from Wales.... making a lot of programs unwatchable since we went digital. Its a problem known to this area. All news etc comes from Cardiff! 
Hence me using iplayer & the APTV so much now.

PS  asbokid typed faster than me - posts crossed.
-----

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 06:39:18 PM »

??? Have you moved Kitz ??? I always thought you resided on the west coast in Lancashire ?? ???

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 06:40:49 PM »

I can only get very crappy BBC TV from Wales....
I don't think it's on BBC Wales today anyway, it's just that they have a different evening schedule.  ;)

I can watch Wales on FreeSat if necessary. Occasionally watch Rugby there.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 07:57:34 PM »

I always thought you resided on the west coast in Lancashire ??
I do  ???

I can watch Wales on FreeSat if necessary. Occasionally watch Rugby there.

I can only pick up from Wales... and its dreadful (signal).  Most evenings the picture is blocky or totally breaks up. Our 'local' transmitter is supposed to be Winter Hill.  Unfortunately its a known problem where I live.

Homes have also been affected across the Granada TV area in places such as Cheshire, Greater Manchester and Merseyside.

Eric Southworth from Fleetwood in Lancashire, told the BBC: 'I have been getting BBC Wales, ITV Wales and Channel 4 Wales (S4C). I don't speak Welsh.'

Others have complained that since digital switchover took place in the region last month that they have been constantly losing BBC channels.

:(

I spent 2 days messing and manually retuning all the TV's and boxes last year..  but it all goes out the window a few weeks later if theres any updates, so now I cba as Im wasting my time.  Ive already wasted £100 getting a new arial installed, which did nada.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 07:53:22 PM by kitz »
-----

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 08:12:09 PM »

I must be looking at this all wrong then ?. Your post states that the programme will be shown, 'Next Monday 20:30 BBC One except Wales'. I took this to mean that it will be shown this coming Monday, and that Wales BBC 1 won't be showing it ??

You then mention you will miss out as you can only get crappy Wales TC pictures etc, which had me puzzling as to why you mention it, as it's not going to be shown on Wales BBC 1 ?? If this makes sense ??  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 08:13:28 PM »

Or do you mean the programme has been re-scheduled for all area, but that Wales are still showing it tonight ???

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 08:14:41 PM »

I spent 2 days messing and manually retuning last year..
We're in a marginal area between multiple transmitters with hugely different changeover dates.
The main one is Crystal Palace which was almost last and has just switched.

After an aerial upgrade some considerable time ago now (the old one was pretty tatty anyway) which just made things worse by picking up more marginal signals I decided to go for FreeSat when it appeared and had "stabilised".
Did the same (as I've said before) for my in-laws too, as they are in another marginal location.
It's worked brilliantly.  :graduate: (trying not to sound smug)

I still retune our Freeview TV's and boxes but the mish-mash of stations, many appearing 3 or 4 times, is just ridiculous.
The whole system is not thought through properly, though I gather you can now buy tuners where you can specify your "region" and cut out all the carp...  :angel:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 08:19:57 PM »

When I looked @ 1pm I used tvguide... which just simply gave me tonights time.

When I looked @ 6.35pm I got the info from here   which is where they stated the except Wales.  Up until that point I'd not seen anything different about wales, hence my comment only at that point.
Doesnt look like wales will be showing it nor does it give info if/when they will be.

-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 08:28:13 PM »

>> After an aerial upgrade some considerable time ago now (the old one was pretty tatty anyway) which just made things worse by picking up more marginal signals

I think thats what happened.  The new aerial just made things worse...  but since I cant get up there Im snookered with it now.

>>> FreeSat when it appeared and had "stabilised".

I think thats what I may have to do.   Skys done a roaring trade around here since the region went digital.. because digital just caused complete chaos. 

>>> I gather you can now buy tuners where you can specify your "region" and cut out all the carp.

hmmmmmm  now that may be worth looking into!

I dont really watch much TV (didnt)...  but I now have APTV and use iplayer via the ipod/ipad.  The vast majority of my TV is via my adsl connection.   
Although saying that I can get the likes of Jeremy Kyle repeats & QVC on TV just fine :-X

-----
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything