Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Wi-Fi interference in evening  (Read 2510 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
Wi-Fi interference in evening
« on: April 24, 2012, 09:56:25 PM »

this is for my sister

she recently moved house, the house had 2 lines coming in, one downstairs and one upstairs in airing cupboard (which is empty) , the engineer (on behalf of Talk Talk) enabled the one in airing cupboard upstairs...

now she has had problems with it dropping in the evenings, I went down and found it was the wifi being drowned, she has a wireless thermostat on the wall which is directly under where the router is upstairs - its one of those wireless-N Huawie HG532 routers.

using inSSIDer I tracked down a neighbour who was also on talk talk using the same channel bonding (1+5) as her router , so I changed her onto single channel mode and chose channel 6 (there was another neighbour on 11) - since then she has not experience any dropouts even though the signal is degrading in evenings, I tested it and she got 17Mbps anywhere in house during the day, but in evenings it will be 2-7Mbps ... but she said last night it started happening again..just not as much

she has an Xbox, PS3, Laptop and 2 blackberry phones that use this wifi connection (not all at same time) - she has Powerline Adapter at the router and the other downstairs feeding the PC in back room

Now I have suggested the following and wondered if anyone had anything else they could suggest or add to it:

1) Move the master socket downstairs into the living room (properly, external cable etc) as this will allow the router to be in same room where she uses the devices making the signal stronger.
or
2) buy a Wireless-N300 cable router and put the Powerline Adapter in the living room from which she could feed the new router and allow it too broadcast downstairs and either turn off the other one or leave it on for devices upstairs to connect too, putting the PC on wifi or another powerline adapter.

if anyone has any suggestions that would be great

I think its the boiler/thermostat - but how can I be sure.

thanks
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

Excelsior

• Star Fleet X Bomber homepage
Re: Wi-Fi interference in evening
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 09:32:25 AM »

In light of my recent experience, does the place have halogen downlighters at all?  Or even next door?  Lights would be an obvious thing to start causing issues in the evening, perhaps try and keep a look out for the drop in speed and see if local lights have come on?  Thermostat could well be an issue too, is it the modem itself that's being impacted or just the Wi-Fi speed?

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 07:33:21 PM »

@ Snadge,

When some thermostats are on the way out they start to jitter instead of just flipping with one movement and then flopping back some time later. That, coupled with a wireless transmission would be quite enough to cause utter mayhem. It's also quite possible that the heating is off during the day so the thermostat would remain silent.

Kind regards,
Walter

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 10:33:22 PM »

thanks for the info guys... :)

its the wifi only, when I go upstairs close to it the speed comes back so its likely to be something in same 2.4Ghz spectrum like wireless thermostats (hence evenings) BUT my sister lives next to lots of shops, she has a beauty parlour on one side and flower shop on the other side at back (which Iam sure has a big vent with fan on - which may also be another possible cause) but all around her across the road etc are shops, I will ask if she has any such lights etc...

she has a 12db Line Atten and is on 24Mb profile with 6db SNRM but only gets 19,200k speed - with that line she should easily get 23,000k so there must be some noise on the line too - however the connection is stable (as far as im aware - it has kept same stats for a week , but i aint been over for few weeks)

thanks... Im gunna message her now and see what she says about the lights etc

thanks again

Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73